mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Specialized rockhopper from thrift store

I bought this bike from goodwill a couple of days ago. It says "Specialized" and "Rockhopper" on it, which is really all I know about it. When I googled that it brought me here .
    If anyone has any information on what type of bike I now own I would appreciate it. It seems to ride fine - everything seems solid and the gears shift. The front brake needs to be tightened.
    I usually ride cheap walmart bikes on asphalt with my kids, so I don't know whether I should start riding this or pass it on to someone who could better use it for its intended purpose. If you have any thoughts as to value I would also appreciate that.
    Thanks
    Specialized rockhopper from thrift store-img_20170804_093422780.jpgSpecialized rockhopper from thrift store-img_20170804_093528367_hdr.jpgSpecialized rockhopper from thrift store-img_20170804_093507554.jpgSpecialized rockhopper from thrift store-img_20170804_093536981.jpgSpecialized rockhopper from thrift store-img_20170804_093559300.jpgSpecialized rockhopper from thrift store-img_20170804_093609369.jpgSpecialized rockhopper from thrift store-img_20170804_093621502_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You have yourself a Specialized Rockhopper circa late 80's early 90's.

-In the Specialized MTB lineup from that era the Rockhopper was in the middle between the Stumpjumper(top) and Hardrock(entry).

-Within the Rockhopper lineup, there was the Comp, Sport, and base. You have the mid level Sport.

As far as what to do with it, it probably isn't worth much more than whatever you paid for it as MTB technology and design has changes drastically since then. A mid-line hardtail, solid fork bike isn't a hot commodity. Dime a dozen.

That being said it's a great commuter bike and will outlast most any Walmart bike for years to come. Looks to be in good shape and I dig it.
    I'd tune it up, lube it up, and ride it if it fits you. Be sure to check the tires and tubes for rot and I'd replace the brake pads.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    It's a beauty-great shape. I had a '89 rock hopper up until '90. I remember the paint being more maroon but the graphics is the same. Could be the 88 or 89.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
    You have yourself a Specialized Rockhopper circa late 80's early 90's.

-In the Specialized MTB lineup from that era the Rockhopper was in the middle between the Stumpjumper(top) and Hardrock(entry).

-Within the Rockhopper lineup, there was the Comp, Sport, and base. You have the mid level Sport.

As far as what to do with it, it probably isn't worth much more than whatever you paid for it as MTB technology and design has changes drastically since then. A mid-line hardtail, solid fork bike isn't a hot commodity. Dime a dozen.

That being said it's a great commuter bike and will outlast most any Walmart bike for years to come. Looks to be in good shape and I dig it.
    I'd tune it up, lube it up, and ride it if it fits you. Be sure to check the tires and tubes for rot and I'd replace the brake pads.

Hope this helps.
    +1

This would make a great path-pounder. I have a couple of early-mid 90's GT mountain bikes I use for that purpose. They make fine path bikes.

As an actual MTB, while capable enough to take off-road riding, I would not put any money onto it as an actual MTB since there are much more capable bikes that can also be had for little money.

MTB B'dos
    I'd say good find, will make an excellent bike to cruise around with your kids and when they get a bit older, will also serve to introduce them to some mild trails and even a bit more than mild
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??