mtbr member
    Jul 2005

New question here. specialized rockhopper pro disc or cannondale f600

OK, i really need help on a little dilemma ive got on which hardtail bike to buy. ive got about 1100 dollars to spend and was wondering which was a better bike, the specialized rockhopper pro disc, or the cannondale f600. i would be riding the bike down mountains but my main desire is to go fast. Help would be ,uch appreciated, thx alot.
    O, and by the way, im also open to any other kind of hardtail in that price range. Although the only dealers around where i live are specialized, cannondale and trek.
    Also, im 6' 3'' and slightly about 190ish pounds and i was wodering what size i should get

thx much

dragonfly
    f600.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    why should i go with it?

dragonfly
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtriplet
    why should i go with it?
    Submitted by Ravi C a Cross Country Rider from Houston,tx,USA
    Date Reviewed: 6/19/2005 9:47:06 AM
    Duration Product Used: 6 months
    Price Paid: $900
    Purchased At: Halters cycle
    Strengths: Phenomal bike for what I paid, Out of all the bikes i've ridden this is the most stable, confidence inspiring ride i've ever had. Rock solid, light, stylish with excellent parts.
    Weaknesses: Wish the seats had quick release.. but that was fixed with a quick trip to the bike shop
    Similar Products Tried: Giant, Gary Fisher
    Bottom Line: For a beginner rider or weekend warrior.. don't be cheap.. get this bike as the bikes ability will always match your skill level as your skills grow. The headshock is FANTASTIC as I can lock the shock on hard climbs so i'm not bouncing around like a pogo stick and having my strength zapped out of my climbs. Great bike period!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    thx, any other opinions??????

dragonfly
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtriplet
    thx, any other opinions??????

that would be my number 1 choice and if you can wait few more weeks you can get the leftovers from 2005 for a discount as 2006 model will be coming in

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    If you look at my sig you'll probably notice some bias, but I considered the F600 as well and here's what changed my mind....

1. It boiled down to riding style and whether you want a trail bike (read: freeride-lite/aggro-xc) or a pure XC bike. The differences are numerous starting with the shocks where the 'dale has 3" of travel and the 'hopper has 5" rated for everything but DH/Extreme FR (see impossible-to-remove warning sticker on forks).

2. The 'dale's frame is made in the USA but it's also not as strong and lacks the 'hopper's gussetting near top/down tube junctions, milled headtube and BB shell, rear disc gusset, and boxy chainstays (notice in person).

3. Other perks of having a trail/fr-lite/angry-xc setup are the 2.3" tires that are actually fairly good on the 'hopper. The flat pedals are a good place to start if you tend to fall over or need to bail off the bike (and I just mean for regular technical riding, not even launching/dropping). The cranks lack the useless-on-the-trail 42 tooth big ring in favor of the entirely useful bash guard that I wasn't sold on at first but now am. The wheels are arguably stronger on the 'hopper as they're light duty FR 36h jobs. And the components are all but equal (equally shitty shimano rear mechs on both, equally replaceable BB5 disc brakes).

Frankly I think the 'hopper makes a fine XC bike if you're bigger, tougher on your bike, or want something that can actually handle a bit of a trashing on the ocassional downhill bit of trail (not DH mind you). It won't climb as well for obvious reasons (higher front end, 28lbs weight) so if you're a spindley hill climber go with the 'dale.

Oh, I should mention that the seat on the 'hopper is crap, and I've also replaced my stock flat pedals with really grippy downhill flats with replaceable pins because they grip better in muddy conditions.

So go forth and check them both out. They're definitely NOT similar bikes so it boils down to what you ride, how you ride, and what direction you see yourself going. I'm really pleased with my purchase and hope this info helps ya out.
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    Oh yeah, at 6'1" I would go with either the 17" or 19".

I'm 6'4" and the 19 fits really nicely. Now by that I mean it's as small as possible while still having long enough top tube and enough seat tube to raise it up high for full-on XC skyscraper seatpost action without over extending the thing (did it two days ago). I wear a 34" inseam when it comes to pants btw. The nice thing about the 17" though is that there's more contact between the top tube and down tube where they're welded together for strength. But going with a frame on the smaller side is up to you.

Unlike the 'dale the 'hopper has a pretty decent sloping top tube. The high front end looks bizarre at first but ya get used to it (if you decide to get the 'hopper). Good standover clearance imo, even on the 19".

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thank you a lot, this has by far been the best review i have gotten from the numerous websites that i have posted this question on

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    No problem.

Some more stuff while I can think of it, and because people usually don't post about what's RIGHT with their bikes on forums...

The 24+ inch top tube on the 'hopper is a big bonus if you have longer arms and legs as you probably do at more than 6' tall. I never have to worry about bashing a knee or feeling all cramped up and twitchy in the cockpit. Bikes from Giant and Trek are, in my experience, notorious for having cramped short cockpits for dudes our side. Cannondale doesn't list the top tube length on their site for the F600 which is a little suspect (and means literally no one will know it).

The forks (Marz Drop Offs) are interesting. They're basically the Marz FR3 fork minus the 20mm front axl. I'm in the process of fine tuning mine but I've found that they ride enormously better with far less air in them than what they might recommend in the manual. Very plush with just enough sag that it actually quickens the steering a tad for singletrack. I'm replacing my springs though with heavier units as I run about 245 pounds. They don't flex noticably, they're all black (all black is the new black, darling), and I suspect having a standard 1.125" headtube makes it more flexible in the future than the 'dale.

More on the tires.... they are high volume 2.3s that seem to dwarf the 2.3s on some of my buddies' bikes. Because of this they ride quite smoothly, like quasi suspension. They don't roll as nice as narrow XC tires though, obviously.

The frame's hard anodizing is very tough also. Better than regular paint I would say.

And finally, it's hard to cheat with flat pedals. Because the feets aren't attached you can't use one foot to pull up while pedalling. My legs burn like hell after a ride but I like to think it keeps me honest.

Ok now I'm going to go pass out. Cheers.