Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Specialized poor paint quality

A year and a half ago I got myself a red S-Works HT 2006 frame - great frame, but never seen such a poor paint job quality. The paint chipped of already by looking at it : at the disc brake tabs, headset, rear wheel.

I just got myself a new red S- Works Epic 2007, seems the actual paint jobs are even worse. Did my first ride last Sunday, at the rear triangle paint chips already appear, at the disc brake tabs the paint let go. While removing the rear wheel very carefully, both on the in- and outside huge chunks of paint got off - that big it can't even be covered by the quick release This is unacceptable for a frame of this price range, isn't it?

The paint let go off the frame including the white primary paint layer. Makes me wonder if they degrease the frames before painting.

My first Epic, the 2004 pro and later my S-Works 2005 had bomb proof paint jobs. Seems like it got bad as off the 2006 models.

mtbr member

Try the touch-up paint

It works really well to cover and make it look nice agine.

However i'm with you. The paint or the process should be better. I have an 07 S-Works Epic and I see the same problem.

Come on big S, make sure your preping your jobs properly before paint!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I agree to a certain extent that Specialized's recent paintjobs are far from being robust and prone to scratching easily. I know because I have an 07 Stumpy Comp - after the first ride, the bike looked like it had been through a whole years riding.

But frankly, I don't give a sh1t.

When I ride, I abuse the bike as it was originally designed to be, not to be hung up, stroked or presented in showroom condition, right?

mtbr member
    I agree at bike has to be used, that's what it's designed for. If you pay 2800 euro for an S-Works Epic frame (which is $3,744) you don't want it to look like a whole year of riding after just one ride.
    Specialized is a high- end factory manufacturing high- end products - they owe the customer a decent, first class paint job

mtbr member
    Just picked up my new Sx Trail frameset from my LBS two days ago. Awesome frame, built it up and it rocks. BUT on the seat tube collar the paint on the backside is completely gone. And that was even before I tightened the seat collar for the first time. The white and the blue paint chipped of, now thereīs only raw aluminium under the collar.

I wonder why they donīt do the anodizing any longer on the Enduros and SX frames. Looked awesome and was really durable?

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    I have expressed my dissatisfaction through the FAQ of the Specialized website.
    I know other people are experiencing the same, just check out this picture of a friend of mine :

View the whole album here.

As many are experiencing the same issue, time to let your voice be heard and send Specialized a signal (it is my favorite brand though )

This is bat country.
    I've been very lucky with my 05 Stumpy Expert frame. I LOVE the red anodized look of the paint on that bike. It's a timeless paint scheme, and the frame looks just as good today as it did two years ago. Though I do not have many chips, there still are tiny nicks from riding that I'd like to touch up with the same color paint. Well...too bad Specialized stop making paint for frames after 2004. And none of those reds match mine...

I thought of finding a matching nail polish, but it's still disappointing that Specialized won't release current model touch-up paints. Come on now!
    If the rig made the rider, I'd be pro...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker731
    too bad Specialized stop making paint for frames after 2004
    Sure they do, I've got myself a 2005 S-works red touch up paint

This is bat country.
    Why don't they list anything past 2004 on their site then?
    If the rig made the rider, I'd be pro...

just ride
    I was actually hoping for the opposite...... I just got an ano orange stumpy..... Anodizing is very durable. It came with these ugly black swoosh graphics that seem to be screen-printed on...... i cant get them off for the life of me.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

Paint coating

Does anyone know-

is there way way or product that can be used to coat the bike just after purchasing it; I guess it would be like applying clear coat?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Its all about the weight. Paint adds at least a pound to the bike.
    Riding and loving it

Premium Member
    Actually, try a 1/4 pound.

Just be happy you guys aren't on an Iron Horse, their paint is horrible. And if you're so worried about a few chips that you're dissatisfied with your frame get an anodized bike. Or take up golf.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good point... I forgot vital words: up to 1 pound

Crap, I found a really good deal on a Iron Horse on craigslist that allows me to sell my Enduro but still make a profit
    Riding and loving it

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Would the paint on a 07 SJ Pro Carbon be just as bad? Would the paint on the Pro M5 frame be better?

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

their anondizing sucks too...

my 06 Stumpy FSR has chips everywhere, dropouts, headset cups, etc. Great bike, crappy finish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My 07 Stumpy Elite doesn't have a nick anywhere so far, it's a dark blue almost annodized-like matte paint-job with the same swoopy graphics as chequamagon's rig.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Mine seems to develope new chips everyday, even the days I don't ride. I don't mind chips from riding, but man I can almost just stare at my bike and watch the paint coming off. Hard to match the mango orange also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Its paint-eating bacteria O_o

That's really weird, my 03 Enduro has scratches only from the world and the rocks that accompany it, nothing more.
    Riding and loving it

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Why is this topic important?

First of all, there is a difference between "scratches" and "chips" coming off the bike. A scratch here and there- all is forgiven. Chips suggest chunks of paint and finish coming off the frame.

Not to get too picky here, but there is a certain psychological effect of having the finish slowly but surely being removed from the bike, especially if these are 2007 models- no matter what the earthly origin.

This is important also for resale value. Plus rust may set into the body of the frame down the line.

Am I just being paranoid here?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bike
    Why is this topic important?

First of all, there is a difference between "scratches" and "chips" coming off the bike. A scratch here and there- all is forgiven. Chips suggest chunks of paint and finish coming off the frame.

Not to get too picky here, but there is a certain psychological effect of having the finish slowly but surely being removed from the bike, especially if these are 2007 models- no matter what the earthly origin.

This is important also for resale value. Plus rust may set into the body of the frame down the line.

I agree 100%. If it was just scratches from riding I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest. My bike started this before it was ever even ridden though. Of course if Specialized offered the touch up paint color I needed it would also help. I discovered two new chips today and tried mixing up some matching touch up paint to no avail. And of course now I've got the whole headset issue to worry about as well. Geez.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    my 06 SJ FSR chips easily too...i dunno why. i just throw some clear coat where the chip is and forget about it
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bike

Yes, especially because aluminum doesn't rust.

I hear you, I don't like a cracked-out looking frame w/ 0 resale but a few chips here and there? Come on.

mtbr member
    Looking at post #6, can't hardly be called scratches or chips. This is really the paint falling off the frame. Issues like this is what it's about - imagine this was your brand new car? Don't think anybody would accept this.

I sent Specialized a complaint through their FAQ. All I got back was a short note telling me to get in touch with my local importer

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For such a well known brand their paint jobs could be better. I have a rockhopper pro and besides thin paint (easily scratches), by the headtube and the crank area, the paint wasn't thoroughly applied. Ah well....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast