AussieLostInNyc

Specialized PLEASE make me a 29'er

Now I have been patient. I went back to a 26" wheel bike (SX Trail III) for 70% of my riding but you are seriously lagging.
    'Friends' on the factory tour tell me they have seen protos of 29ers under red blankets. Bring them on. So many others are on round two of producing 29ers. That is to say they have made the hardtails and are pushing out 'AM' style FS rigs with decent travel. I am sure you are aware of the models in production and on the horizon.

Now you have the chance to jump in with a 29er Stumpy or an Enduro SL and blow them away. Come on you 'make' your own fork and all...
    How hard can it be to tweak the SL to make it a 29er, slap some D2 resolution tires on it and away you go.
    I am going to my LBS to take the SL's that arrived today out of the box and make belive how much cooler they would be with a 29er wheel.

By the way I am not a zealot. I just know what works for me and what I want and that I want it now!
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Count me in as well, Epic, Stumpy, or Enduro SL. I don't care.
    Chop chop

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The crosstrail limited has potential. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec
    Kind of an overbuilt city bike.
    Ive heard rumors of 08.

Mtc
    mtbr member

Hold on buddy

Mid-season release is the word on the street, and Feb isn't mid-season. SJ and a HT.
    Is Fox the hold up Hmmm?

AussieLostInNyc
    Quote Originally Posted by smoking39
    The crosstrail limited has potential. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec
    Kind of an overbuilt city bike.
    Ive heard rumors of 08.
    Not really. I have ridden one around the streets and it is actually a great bike. Handles well and for it's purpose the geometry is dialed. For fire road, smooth dirt it would suffice but not any further for singletrack technical riding and esp for where and how I ride.
    I want something that rips 5' drops with ease put out by a big dealer so the price point comes down.
    I love the sound of the new intense 5.5 29er but it will be $$.
    I love my fsr suspension and think a stumpy or enduro sl would be a great base to build a 29er on.
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    I emailed Specialized to see if the Crosstrail models were designed to handle bigger tires - asked about fitting a 2.3. Said that I was planning to pick up a 29er, but wanted to go with a Specialized if they had one in the works.

Here's the response I got...

Thanks for your e-mail. We don't really have any specs on what will fit other than what was OE (26x1.9) because every tire and manufacturer is different (some say they are 2.3, but are really closer to 2.5). However, we will be making a "true" 29er for 2008 under the Rockhopper name and it should fit up to 2.3.

Doesn't look like an FSR 29er is planned for 08. Maybe if everyone shows interest they would shift their production plans and introduce a couple of 29ers.
    Last edited by NCtrailX; 02-04-2007 at 08:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was told by the rep today that there will be three models for 2008( not early release ) rockhopper 29er, stumpy ht 29er and a stumpy fsr 29er. he said he could not say anymore than that. He did emphasize that they will probably be november or december release.

The Other Dude
    can you wait for early july?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A Stumpjumper FSR 29er would be nice. But after a 10 minute ride on a Enduro SL that would be even better for me in 29 format. Whatever they come out with I'm in.

Live Free Or Die!
    I was looking at the 2007 Specialized catalog and thought that a 29er version of the Rockhopper Pro Disc would be really good. I might get one of the Crosstrail Experts though. It looks like it would fine for my needs as a urban assult bike for commuting purposes.

A Specialized dealer from NC or posted to a thread about the Crosstrails bikes in the 29er forum here. He said that he had no trouble swapping out the wider Specialized 29er tires on his bike.

It took awhile, but I found the thread. Scroll down to post #26 to see what he said:

Specialized Crosstrail 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like JUT8 knows something........we can all assume that a 29er is coming. Can't wait for pictures. I also can't wait to hear some longterms on the new SL's

mtbr member

Good job!

I long for specialized 29" badly of course full-suspension about 130mm of travel, a trail bike more than XC and close to AM-Enduro with 2- 2,1 tires maybe Michelin. By the way do you happen to know how to contact them directly? There is no contact page givenl, only using resllers and distributors. We could send them a detailed description of the dreamt bike and notify them of the eager people waitng for ages to throw a leg over such marvelous machine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby
    technical riding and esp for where and how I ride.
    Hey Gumby - you didn't break the enduro already did you?

You and JB should start a national petition.....

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    29ers are for people who have to use the bike to go faster instead of there legs.

mtbr member
    I want a 120-140mm 29" frame + WB 130 or adjustable 100-150mm WB (now in alpha test phase) Can someone from specialized commnet on that.
    Last wuestion do you have any CONTACT to specialized on the web site there is no direct e-mail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Specialized 29er in May

Taken from:
    http://www.twentynineinches.com/

Specialized 29″ers by May? Hearing Specialized will have their 29″ers in stores by May. More details will be coming, but I can not imagine that this is not in response to another big players announcement coming soon that they will have a full line up of 29″ers for ‘08. Will there be a Fox shock on the front of these bikes? This was my prediction. We’ll see soon enough!

UPDATE Hearing now that Specialized will have three models under $1000.00. One will have some sort of adjustable drop out, but the others will be geared only. A “Rockhopper” model is already for release, but Specialized is waiting for “the right timing” to release it, so my source tells me. More updates as they become available.

Captain Underpants
    29 Enduro? Don't hold your breath for too long. I'd think they'd stick to 4" of travel for their first FS 9er. No way will specialized use a WB or Maverick Fork, though they could build their own, I suppose. You'll see a 5" Turner or Ventana before you see an Enduro. (not knocking the Enduro, BTW, I absolutely love it) Specialized has taken a wait and see attitude on the whole 29er thing, letting others do most of the groundbreaking. I'm not ripping on Specialized, it's just the way they have chosen to do biz in this particular segment of the market.

If the Rockhopper ends up being the platform, they'd prolly use a Reba race, but that would put the bike closer to $1400 for fully geared. I realy hope they build this bike, as I am looking for a HT 9er and don't want to go custom on it (saving that for the Sultan).

mtbr member
    I would like these in 29" version
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...sp?sid=07FSRxc
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=features
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=features Whe can they be ready?

Write what you want and send them requests may be they make 29" counterparts.
    Last edited by Davidcopperfield; 03-06-2007 at 09:23 AM.