Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Smile Specialized pitch pro 2011

Hi, Everyone new to the forum, so would just like to say hello to you all, I recently brought a specialized pitch pro and have been riding it for some months now, but the rear hub sounds like it's full of dirt, sounds gritty, but I cannot work out how to remove the rear spindle to remove the hub, it has the original roval wheel set on it with two outer cup that are held on by small grub screw with these remove I can see the sealed bearing and the spindle looks solid running threw them, does anybody know how to get the spindle out so I can clean or replace the hub.

Thanks
    Chris

mtbr member
    sorry, cant help. i just want to see some pics!!!!

take it to your dealer, if nothing else

and congrats!
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Smile Specialized pitch 2011

Will post some pic's of the bike tomorrow, but it's standard as it left the shop, Love the way the bike handles downhill, bit of a push getting up hill but that's just my fitness it will come the more I ride, but going down makes up for it.

Thinking of changing the white grips and seat to black.

Was out riding today at Cannock Chase, just love those downhill sections across the other side of the main road.

I'm getting faster now and it just felt like I was flowing today, just need to learn to manual those bumps good.

I've sent a email to specialized about it, will see what they come back with, but Thanks for the reply anyway.

mtbr member
    Yes, pics please! I will be picking up the same bike very soon!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    running mavic hubs so dont know from experience but I'd bet the what you're calling the spindle is not one piece. Again guessing but bushings in bearings with a spacer between is what I'd expect to see

you might also want to post in the wheels forum, odds are someone has the info you want
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    are you sure its the roval wheelset? mine came with the crapy dt swiss wheels, i had some problems with the back, wheel, its not the strongest and it might be a good idea to change after a while.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hey crossup, what you changed to make your pitch lighter, would really like to know?, royboy thanks for the info but I'm pretty sure it's a roval wheelset, it's specialized own brand I think for 2011 bikes, the early ones 09,10 I think came with dt swiss as you said, just tried to take some pic's, but it's to dark outside and with the artificial light source, they look well not good, but will get some up soon as I can in decent daylight?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    as my sig says, its 100% non stock. Basic build idea was use nothing heavier than stock and where I could, I went as light as my wallet allowed

010 RS Revelation U-turn Air 150 w/Maxle
    010 Fox RP 23XV Shock
    010 S-works Carbon Bars
    Mavic Crossmax SL wheelsets
    Avid Elizir CR brakes 203+180mm
    2.35 Nevegal 2.5 WTB Prowler
    All XTR drivetrain except:
    RaceFace Next crankset with Gamut bashgard(and 175mm instead of the small frame 170 spec)
    SRAM X0 cassette 991 hollow chain
    Shimano PD 424 pedals
    Specialized stock Pitch seatpost

mtbr member
    Hey Crossup, nice spec. Just wondering how you find the Revelation U-turn Air in terms of strength for aggressive riding? Tossing up between the Revelation and either a Lyric Air or U-turn for my girlfriends pitch, who is relatively new to the sport but using the bike for everything including some jumping and light fr/dh at present.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    aside from my being a lightweight at about 150 pounds geared up, the Revelations seem at least as ridgid as the rest of the bike and have survived both Snowshoe and Whistler. FWIW, I'm a retired motocrosser who loves to jump. My guess is they will hold up to almost anything but may flex a bit if pushed or ridden by a super clyde. One thing that was important to me was to keep weight off the front end as I find the Pitch somewhat hard to manual, and for that the Rev is the lightest good fork out there. For me they are perfect and the wife loves hers too

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_mt
    Hey crossup, what you changed to make your pitch lighter, would really like to know?, royboy thanks for the info but I'm pretty sure it's a roval wheelset, it's specialized own brand I think for 2011 bikes, the early ones 09,10 I think came with dt swiss as you said, just tried to take some pic's, but it's to dark outside and with the artificial light source, they look well not good, but will get some up soon as I can in decent daylight?
    Chris, I too have a 2011 Pitch Pro. I'm fairly certain it didn't come with a roval wheelset. The green Specialized stickers say they are Alexrims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    whoops, double post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Laterilus
    whoops, double post.
    O.k will take a look tomorrow, As it's dark here in the uk at the mo, you maybe right, yeah I'm having that problem too crossup, it's quite hard to manual this bike, I think it's cause it has such a long wheelbase, but that's why it goes downhill so well. The rear wheel needs a bearing puller to get the spindle out, so you can take the hub off, when I've done it I will post it up on here for other people to see how to do it, might help some folks out, when there rear hub explodes, lol

Take Care all
    Last edited by chris_mt; 10-16-2010 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_mt
    O.k will take a look tomorrow, As it's dark here in the uk at the mo, you maybe right, yeah I'm having that problem too crossup, it's quite hard to manual this bike, I think it's cause it has such a long wheelbase, but that's why it goes downhill so well. The rear wheel needs a bearing puller to get the spindle out, so you can take the hub off, when I've done it I will post it up on here for other people to see how to do it, might help some folks out, when there rear hub explodes, lol

Take Care all
    Yeah your right Laterilus, what a noob I am it say's it on the rims, lol

Also here's a pic of my bike.

Take Care.

mtbr member
    Bike looks great Chris! What size frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirttrackin280h
    Bike looks great Chris! What size frame?
    It's a large, I'm 5ft11" fits me great, but might try a 50mm stem on it and would like to make it a bit lighter for climbing, would also like an adjustable seat post too for down hill sections, but they are heavy and I don't want to increase the weight of the bike, nothing worse than getting jacked of the bike by the seat over the bars, did that a few times on my old bike but haven't fell of this yet, lol

pitbull592
    How's the pitch working out for you? I have a epic & want to pick up a pitch to tackle some rougher trails.
    Fortune favors the bold-Alexander the great

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hi, It's a good bike, it handles most stuff that I throw at it, but I've change the stem to a 40mm sun-line V1, it's now better on the twisty stuff, but can be a bit twitchy on climbs, but its given me more confidence on the bigger stuff, going of small drop off's my neutral position is further back, which helps me, don't know what it would be like for you, I've only been riding 6 months, did alot of bmx stuff when I was younger, just getting back into it now but the weather in the uk has been rubbish for the last week lots of snow and freezing cold air, so I've been stuck in the house, The only thing I would say about the bike is I've weight it with some park digital scales and with a pair of (DMR V8 pedals 522g) and the new stem (sunline V1 200g) stock stem is 75mm and 129g, its 14.7Kg on a large frame, so it isn't a light bike, takes some effort by yourself to get your fitness up if riding with friends on hardtails on say a 15mile ride, but I'm about there now, also the wheelset is alex rims and I'm having trouble with the rear hub freezing solid in the cold weather, I've got the rear wheel in bits at the moment and the rear hub seems to let water in and dirt, I can see rust in the freehub, total cheap crap if you ask me, so apart from the wheelset which I think I'll have to replace at some point, the rest I've had no problems with at all, so in the summer it's hope pro 2 hubs and some nice rims to go with them.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Does any one know what make the rear hub is on these alex rims that come with the pitch pro 2011, really need to know so I can order a new dust seal for inside the freehub, I've tried contacting
    specialized support about this but they have not replied back to me....

Thanks Chris

pitbull592
    Thanks for the info, I figure with my epic I have a nice light bike for xc, so I don't mind a heavier tougher bike for the trails. Can your lbs help you out with the hub & is it covered under warranty? It sounds like the right bike for me. Come spring I'll prob get the same color as yours. I'm in the states (pennsylvania) it's cold here, but no snow yet. It usually starts after the holidays.
    Fortune favors the bold-Alexander the great

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi there everyone,

I thought I should ask here instead of creating another thread. I'm looking at the Pitch for a long time now and I think I fell in love with it. I have two bikes at the moment - fixie for city commuting and 8 travel Banshee Scythe for suicidal missions to the woods. I would like to fill that gap with a simple bike which would be comfortable enough for all-day rides and occasional rough riding. After a series of freeride bikes I just dont trust traditional 100mm travel XC bikes anymore (: I would like to know if the Pitch is light enough to be treated as XC/Trail bike or is it more of a freeridish beast and If Im 64 what size would you recommend?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm 6'3 and ride an XL. I put a 60mm stem and it's a great fit for me. I know others at 6'2 -6'3 have ridden a large and like it. I demoed a large and the XL felt much better.

I'm not sure of the weight, but my pro isn't too heavy for all day riding and that was completely stock (I've since made it heavier with a coil shock). If you have the cash, and are really concerned about weight, put a 150mm revelation and that will decrease the weight quite a bit.

The comp was quite a bit heavier due to the wheels, but it looks like the comp and pro have the same wheels now. So not sure what a new one weighs.

Hope that helps!

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    I believe the best guess I've seen as to the manufacturer of the Specialized HiLo hubs is Formula.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am working on a Pitch Pro build. I received the frame second hand but it is "New" and unused. The owner included a Shimano XT front Der. but it does not have the bolts that mount it into the bracket on the frame. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the bolts that mount the front Der to the frame are the from Shimano or Specialized? Any help would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher98 View Post
    I am working on a Pitch Pro build. I received the frame second hand but it is "New" and unused. The owner included a Shimano XT front Der. but it does not have the bolts that mount it into the bracket on the frame. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the bolts that mount the front Der to the frame are the from Shimano or Specialized? Any help would be appreciated!
    Pretty sure the Pitch requires an E-type derailleur that has the bottom bracket mount plate removed, so the bolts would have originally been included by shimano, but think your LBS or decent bolt shop should have something to fit as alot of chain guard devices run similar short bolts with countersunk head.
    Example of e-type derailleur:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=52296

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast