mtbr member
    May 2009

Specialized Pitch comp or big hit fsr 1?

Hey guys im new here and i thought you could help me. I cant decide between the pitch and the big hit. i want to be able to do some downhill but still be able to do trails with some uphills. I would go straight for the pitch but i am afraid that it cant handle some of the jumps i will be hitting (10-15). I would probably get a small in either..im 16 years old 5'5 and about 110lbs. If it matters i ride on the 7 springs expert downhill trails most frequently.
    Last edited by cjsmx65; 05-24-2009 at 07:21 AM.

mtbr member
    You will prob. want the BH if you ride alot of DH but if you mainly do alot of AM with some mild DH you would be fine with the Pitch
    I would say BH because you say you ride alot of 7 Springs expert runs
    Good Luck !

mtbr member
    May 2009
    have you ever been there? i dont know how they compare to bigger resorts but i can hit the biggest jumps there. will i be able to climb some on the big hit?

mtbr member
    No i havent, I just made an guess that you would be riding alot of downhill and they probibly cant compair to a place like Whistler where you need to have your bike be really tough to survive riding there for a couple of days
    And of corse you will be able to climb the BH it just depends on how well and i must admit i havent ridden on 09 BH but have ridden 08s anyways you would just have to raise up your seat and tough it out if you got the BH so i wouldnt suggest it for long hard climbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsmx65
    have you ever been there? i dont know how they compare to bigger resorts but i can hit the biggest jumps there. will i be able to climb some on the big hit?
    Where do you live if you don't mind me asking. I'm guessing you live fairly close to 7springs.

I've done 7springs a bunch and just picked up a Specialized Pitch as I think its a great bike for the area. Its more than enough for anything built thus far at 7springs.

I'll do east coast DH resorts during the weekends in the summer, but even so, the majority of my riding requires pedaling. The Pitch, or a bike like it, will do well when being pedaled. If you're planning on riding it on anything other than the resorts, get the pitch. You won't want to climb with the BigHit.

If you are only going to be doing resorts, and will spend a decent amount of time at bigger resorts, then go ahead and get the Bighit.

fbb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You sound like you need an Enduro, or SX Trail

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I tested BH II today and I'm pretty new to MTB-iking and just wanted to see what BH feels like, my mate took Enduro Comp for a test as well. I have to say BH is not too bad for climbing (it is heavier after all) but I did have a softer rear coil, I would need something harder because the one I had on today was absorbing a lot of pedalling and so made it harder. Also I believe you can install a new crank piece with a double crank so tht should improve pedalling too.
    I have to say, BG looks and feels bomb-proof. I like Domains in front (harder rear coil can be installed with no extra cost, guy in the shop said), love the brakes even though the're Juicy 4's on BH II, love everything about BH. It loves going down hill and it makes you feel very capable, a very confident ride indeed. I will get one in a couple of moths. I was thinking Enduro Comp or BH II and decided BHII 'cause I will be exploring downhill.
    So once again, thumbs up for BH, although it would be nice if you could wait and save some more money for BH II not BH I the bits on BH II are a lot better. Cheers!

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sorry that should've been ...you can install a new crank piece with a double ring so that should improve pedalling too.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yes an sx trail would be perfect but i cant spend much more than $2000. Unless i can find am sx trail from 2008?

mtbr member
    Call around to some local bike shops they still might have one they havent sold im not shure it will be $2000 though
    There is a local bike shop here in Washington that still has a 2008 SX trail 2 (I think?) and a 2007 Enduro Pro
    You could run a front Derailer like Igz said that would give you more gear options and make for better climbing if you really want to maximize climbing ability.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    would the pitch comp be able to handle decent sized jumps?

mtbr member
    would the pitch comp be able to handle decent sized jumps?

Anything you'll find at 7springs.

mtbr member
    I would say yes but im not shure i would try anything if it isnt covered by Specialized.
    Personally i would just go for the Pitch ive ridden one around a while and they seem like fairly fun and sturdy bikes and if you break a few components you can just beef it up.
    (I also dont like the BH 1)

I really like Cookies
    Dude a pitch and a bighit are two totally different styles of bikes with two totally different purposes. A pitch is not going to be anywhere near the performance on a downhill run that a bighit is. And a bighit doesn't climb, period. You need to rethink your strategy a bit on which bike to get. Sounds like to me that you should be looking more along the lines of a Pitch vs. Enduro, a Pitch vs. Bighit can't even be done, because the styles of bike are completely different. They cannot compare, whatsoever. Its like comparing an Allez to a Hardrock, it just doesn't work.
    Cookies + Dirt Jumping = Crack

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yeah thats what ive come to realize..i thought that the big hit was more of an all mountain than a free ride. I think the ideal bike would be an sx trail..i just need to find last years and a decent deal...

mtbr member
    Ncossey,
    He's looking for a bike that he can do AM and DH on that is the only reason why he can compair them.
    And last night i was looking through a Decline from like 3 months ago and Tyler Mccaul had written a few pages on the park (7 Springs) and in all the pictures they were ridding small travel freeride bikes with like RS pikes and things of that nature and the trails didnt look difficult at all (Im shure they were not riding gree lines either) so i would say if your ridding trails like that you will probibly be fine with a Pitch. (Its kinda like rough AM decents) which is what the Pich was made specificly for.
    An 08 SX Trail would do better though

I really like Cookies
    yeah thats what ive come to realize..i thought that the big hit was more of an all mountain than a free ride. I think the ideal bike would be an sx trail..i just need to find last years and a decent deal...

The Big Hit is a Downhill bike period. An all mountain bike is simply a beefed up cross country bike. Specialized is a little messed up in their bike descriptions on their site though because their catagory for all mountain is the pitch and enduro, which are both fully capable of freeride and downhill, I have a buddy that rides his pitch at eureka springs downhill course and hits a 15 foot step down on it with no problems. I also murder my enduro there which I have built specifically for freeride and downhill. For the riding that you sound like you will be doing, I think you would be 100% more satisfied with a pitch over a big hit. The big hit would almost completely limit you from any type of xc riding unless you are built like the hulk and can push a 40 pound bike up hills with no help on the peddle bob side. You also cannot lock out either part of suspension on the big hits, so climbing becomes virtually impossible. On the pitch you have 5-6 inches of travel front and rear, the ability to lock out both, and an advanced pro pedal feature which helps you push that fsr frame up the hill. Personally I wouldn't waste the cash on a pitch, I would just go witth an enduro and be done with it. But since you have 2000 to spend, a pitch is going to be your best bet, unless you can get your hands on an sx trail of course, but thats an entirely different animal we are talking about.
    Cookies + Dirt Jumping = Crack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW Freeride
    Ncossey,
    He's looking for a bike that he can do AM and DH on that is the only reason why he can compair them.
    And last night i was looking through a Decline from like 3 months ago and Tyler Mccaul had written a few pages on the park (7 Springs) and in all the pictures they were ridding small travel freeride bikes with like RS pikes and things of that nature and the trails didnt look difficult at all (Im shure they were not riding gree lines either) so i would say if your ridding trails like that you will probibly be fine with a Pitch. (Its kinda like rough AM decents) which is what the Pich was made specificly for.
    An 08 SX Trail would do better though

As I said earlier, I live close to 7 springs and ride it almost every weekend. The SX trail would be the perfect bike, but will not pedal as well on the other local trails. The Pitch/Enduro will be 99% as good at that park, but pedal better for other local riding. To me it was an easy choice.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Pitch + 160mm fork will end up being a good compromise. Still able to climb very well, and handle the rest of what it sounds like you want pretty well, too.

Long, low-ish, slack.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Pitch with a 160mm fork would be perfect for 7 Springs. I just rode all weekend at Snowshoe. I rode every trail out there. It was a blast. I felt a little skiddish on some of the extremely steep stuff. But I did take some pride in being able to ride all of the trails with a 6" AM bike clipped in. May not have been as fast as a DH bike but I only get a chance to ride Snowshoe once or twice a year. I have to admit though, the wheels/rims are the weak point on the bike. After Snowshoe I am now in search of some better rims. They were flexy and I finally but a nice flat spot on the rear wheel.

I normally ride the Pisgah area in Asheville, NC so I have to earn my turns. It climbs very well.