mtbr member

Specialized Newb; Good deal on Rockhopper?

Ok, so I have this long thread in the "What to Buy" forum, and what I ended up coming down to and purchasing was an 07 Diamondback Response Comp. Well, they had to put it on backorder and I waited for about three weeks now, and as of this morning the LBS still didnt have any sign from DB when the bike would even be in stock. Well, it wouldve been nice to have my bike last weekend and I didnt want to go through this one without a bike too. So, this afternoon I went into my dealer t osee if they had heard anything on the DB, and they hadnt, so I started looking at other options, namely the Specialized Hardrock and Rockhopper models. I was pretty much dead set on getting an 07 Rockhopper Comp Disc, when my dealer mentioned that they had an 06 Rockhopper Comp still in the box that they would upgrade to disc brakes for a very good price. So, the package they worked up for me consisted of new (Ditchwitch?) rims, a nice set of hubs(brand?) and a set of BB-5 disc brakes for $660 dollars. As far as I can tell, every component on this bike is an upgrade from the Response Comp, it weighs less, and I only paid $40 more than the 07 DB. So, whatch ya think, how'd I do?

Heres a pic, obviously when I pick mine up tommorrow it will have BB-5's on it.

mtbr member
    No luv for the newb?!?!?!

Don't any of you guys know anything about the Rockhopper? I just went and saw it, they had all the new parts on it and it's looking damn good! They still had to tune it, so I'll be a Specialized owner by 5pm. I'm actually quite relieved I went with the Specialized instead of waiting for the DB, I just feel like I'm buying a higher quality product in the Specialized.

mtbr member
    Good choice on the RH. You won't regret your purchase. Looks just like my 05 RH base (pic in the specialized thread).

mtbr member
    Do you think I got a pretty decent deal? What what I can tell I think I did good.

mtbr member

Smile

post some pics of it when you get it ;-) good deal for sure the new rockhopper comp disc is $820 at one of my lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yep, sounds good to me. the new rockhopper comps retail for 880. i just got one a couple weeks ago. i actually like the look of the 06 better :-)

mtbr member
    Sweet, just picked it up about an hour or so ago. Not sure about the Orange bottle, I originally choose that for the DB Response Comp, in a way it kinda looks ok, i'll probably trade it in fir a different color. Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member

Smile

looks great you got a dam good deal on that bike :-) enjoy it

Jason

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    looks good. let me know if you figure out the best way to break in the brakes. still trying to brake mine in.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I really feel a lot better about getting a Specialized than the DB. The bike is sweet, and its my first mountain bike. Cant wait to get it out on the trail, and I have no idea how to "break in" the brakes. I didnt know they even had a break in period. We'll see!

mtbr member
    To break in the brakes, my dealer just told me nothing too hard for the first couple kilometres (miles). If you brake too hard when new, you run the risk of glazing the rotors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

disc brakes

I guess, disc brakes on bikes cant be bedded in like cars and motorbikes?

Has someone used their disc brake at a time where someone who's been mtb-ing and used the disc brake so much, it started to glow red?

Also, are the pads similar made to standard disc brakes? are the pads semi-metalic or organic or another type of material used?

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I just noticed something, I was looking at the Avid website and I came across something interesting. My LBS apparently put BB7's on my bike instead of BB5's!! Sweet!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nice Bike. Just did the same thing for my bro's rockhopper. Gave him my old BB-7s and Mavic 317 rims off my Stumpjumper 120. Those black wheels look so much better on that bike for some reason.

mtbr member
    The black rims remind me of a Factory Works MotoX bike.

mtbr member
    Went for my first ride today, took it out for about 9 miles on city pike paths. I really like it, very smooth!