Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Specialized MTB Questions?

Hey everyone,

I'm part of the bike development team at Specialized and am here to talk about our mountain bikes and products. Let me know if you have any feedback or questions I can help with.
    Also, if you have wheel questions check out Roval Joe's thread in the Wheel and Tire forum here: Roval questions?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How bout some info on the monarch plus for specialized bikes.

Stumpy - Monarch Plus?

mtbr member
    Brain on Camber : why not ?
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good question, I could see brain for camber on new release models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    S Works crank in a narrower Q for hardtail frames

Also 650A bikes, forget 650B not enough of a difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Man this specialized rep has his work cut out for him for our wish list.

mtbr member
    What did Specialized do to install the OSBB crank on a standard BB? I see the Zipp Vuka BB on there.
    Thumbnail Gallery Photos | Cyclingnews.com
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    What did Specialized do to install the OSBB crank on a standard BB? I see the Zipp Vuka BB on there.
    I did the same on an enduro with standard bb. Zipp bb. Works fine. You may have to monkey with the spacers a bit to get the S-works crank right.

For Specialized Rep:
    1. Probably won't answer this one. But 650B on Stumpjumper/Enduro?

2. Model overlap. Obviously more choice is more betta', but I find myself conflicted about which bike to ride. There's basically 8 model lines that fall into the realm of "trail/AM" bikes which is what 90% of us ride. Camber, Camber evo, Stumpy, Stumpy 29er, Stumpy evo, Stumpy 29 evo, Enduro, Enduro 29er. Then if you throw in the rumored 650b size in there... Frankly. I'd like to see Specialized focus their R+D into making 4-5 frame lines and work on making those frames as good as possible. Frankly I can't decide if I'm more happy on a Stumpy evo or an enduro.

3. What do you ride?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    How bout some info on the monarch plus for specialized bikes.

Stumpy - Monarch Plus?
    @stumpynerd
    What you posted in the other thread is what we know at this point. RockShox is still developing that shock for AM purchase. They aren't currently available through our service centers.

mtbr member
    Was the spindle length on the older cranks longer? What did you have to do besides use the Zipp cups? I think Rotor also has 30mm BSA BB cups.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Brain on Camber : why not ?
    @Devastazione
    The Camber was developed as a short travel trail bike without the brain in mind. We love hearing rider's feedback about what they want/don't want. Is the brain a feature you would like to have on a Camber?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    S Works crank in a narrower Q for hardtail frames

Also 650A bikes, forget 650B not enough of a difference.
    @peabody
    We don't currently have plans to offer the SW crank with a narrower Q factor. However, the 156 Q XX1 crank does fit on the Stumpy HT if your looking to get the narrowest pedal stance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Was the spindle length on the older cranks longer? What did you have to do besides use the Zipp cups? I think Rotor also has 30mm BSA BB cups.
    I seem to remember it would only work with 2011+ year S-Works cranks. The spindle length on the older ones was shorter.
    S-Works carbon cranks on Mojo SL

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @RS VR6
    As bhsavery mentioned, the spacers (except for a wavy washer probably) were removed from the spindle to get the extra width. Rotor also makes a BB you could probably do this with.
    I wouldn't recommend trying this with the new SW cranks as the spindle spacers are biased toward the NDS. Removing them would shift the crankarms (and chainline) too far to the driveside of the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    yes thats what I currently use

now how about trumping everyone and bring out the proper wheel size 650A ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post
    I did the same on an enduro with standard bb. Zipp bb. Works fine. You may have to monkey with the spacers a bit to get the S-works crank right.

For Specialized Rep:
    1. Probably won't answer this one. But 650B on Stumpjumper/Enduro?

2. Model overlap. Obviously more choice is more betta', but I find myself conflicted about which bike to ride. There's basically 8 model lines that fall into the realm of "trail/AM" bikes which is what 90% of us ride. Camber, Camber evo, Stumpy, Stumpy 29er, Stumpy evo, Stumpy 29 evo, Enduro, Enduro 29er. Then if you throw in the rumored 650b size in there... Frankly. I'd like to see Specialized focus their R+D into making 4-5 frame lines and work on making those frames as good as possible. Frankly I can't decide if I'm more happy on a Stumpy evo or an enduro.

3. What do you ride?
    @bhsavery
    Thanks for your thoughts about the diversity of our bike lineup. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post
    I seem to remember it would only work with 2011+ year S-Works cranks. The spindle length on the older ones was shorter.
    S-Works carbon cranks on Mojo SL
    Is the 2011 model the only year it will work? How do I know which one to specifically look for? I see the one in the link you sent me. There are several different types of graphics through the years.

Thanks!
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

I Ride Bikes
    Hey Joe,

So I had this question about my stock headset bearings for my 2012 Camber Carbon. I think I may have answered my own question. Could you please just double check my sleuth work before I go and buy some replacement bearings. Thanks!

Here's the link:

2012 Camber headset bearing direct replacement.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialized_Joe View Post
    @Devastazione
    The Camber was developed as a short travel trail bike without the brain in mind. We love hearing rider's feedback about what they want/don't want. Is the brain a feature you would like to have on a Camber?
    Yes I would love it and I'm not alone. I'm from Italy and on the italian mtb-forum.it the "I'd love the Brain on the Camber" pops out every 5/6 pages on the official Camber thread.
    I'm on the prowl for a 120ish mm 29er light trail bike as I'm about to let go my Stumpy FSR 29 and I'm currenlty looking at Trek's Fuel EX 29 (curious about the DRCV thingy altough I know it's a high bobbing machine ). If the Camber had the Brain I wouldn't even consider the Fuel EX.
    Maybe you guys should consider it on Sworks and Expert level at first and let the Comp/EVO still be a more simple machine without it.

Just for a marketing reference : I'm 40 years old not getting any younger () stuck with the 29 wheel safety and the "like when I was 13" speed feeling and need to keep my hands on the bar all the time...because I'm not a crazy kid anymore and I know my limits. Self employed,I usually buy Expert/Elite bikes of yours and upgrade parts. I buy a new bike every year.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 02-20-2014 at 04:42 AM.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

Dirt Junkie
    Specialized Joe,

Thanks for coming. Love my Enduro, I've owned nothing but Specialized throughout my mountain biking life.

1. 27.5 Enduro? If so, will be my next bike (in 4-5 years).
    2. Why do you show parts for sale on your website, that are never in stock (derailleur hangers) but the dealer always has at a higher price?
    3. Why don't you offer your base level wheels for sale on your website. I have a '13 Enduro Comp and do not see the wheels I have on my bike for sale, only the much higher end wheels.
    4. My wheels on my Enduro are holding up well (1500 miles). They all say 2bliss ready. What do I need to run tubeless? Just some sort of sealant? Do I need tape also? I can't find a clear answer from anyone. My Dealer is not knowledgeable regarding this. I was given the valve stems when I bought the bike. Is that it?

My dealer is over an hour away so getting there for some of these parts can be a pain. I would like the option to purchase components from your website instead of going to the dealer for everything. I understand not selling complete bikes, but individual components should be available.

Rock
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Great stuff. I've been following the Roval wheel thread for a while.

I have a question regarding sizing. I'm thinking about getting an S-Works SJ WC HT for the 2014 race season.

I am wondering if there are any revised sizing recommendations for the 2014 SJ HT, since they got a lot longer (reach has increased by quite a lot!). My problem is that I am 180 cm tall (86 cm inseam), and I have a feel that I fall right between the two sizes. I currently ride a Cannondale F29 with a reach of 426 mm (it's a large). I don't know which size to get. I should probably add that I am riding in the elite category.

I will be able to demo a size M 2014 SJ WC HT later this month, but I'd like to do some research by my own first.

I notice Christoph Sauser was riding a large SJ WC HT in the last Leadville 100. 90 mm stem, and seat post with no setback. He's about the same height as I am.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I drive enduro S-Works 2014. Twenty-six. And I hope to change it in a couple of years for the same new. It does not matter, it's a wish: to continue to produce 26" S-Works.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Similar to a few others, will we see a shortened rear end on the new Stumpy FSR 29 line up similar to the Enduro or will that longer stay remain an inherent characteristic of the Stumpy line up?

In addition, I don't understand why I can get an Enduro Comp 29 with a Pike at $3400 but a Stumpy FSR Evo wont come with one until I dish out over $6K. I want a pike on the Evo Comp.

Lastly, for crying out loud, can you guys partner with a decent brake company. Every thread on this entire site speaks clearly that if you buy a ANY bike from the Specialized line up you need to be ready to drop proper (XT ish) brakes on the bike. At the $3K level, that's a lot of xtra cash.

The lack of these specifics in your line up has me considering jumping ship this spring. Any info or consideration is much appreciated.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ditto that on brakes. I swap out my brakes with hopes on every stumpjumper I ever owned. Stock brakes were horrible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I would love to ride a Carbon bike one day, but that day won't come for several years yet. So my question/comment is about the new technology the road department has come up with: SMARTweld.

1. (Allez) If SMARTweld really is that much stiffer/stronger/lighter why was it only used at the headtube? Why not also at the BB?

2. (Epic/Camber/Stumpjumper HT) SMARTweld is in at least its second MY, if it really is that much stiffer/stronger/lighter, why was it not implemented in the 14MY M5 MTB lineup?

I love my epic, but it was hard to give up over 4 lbs over my old 26 HT. If SMARTweld could drop 1/2lb off the frameset why not use it?

Thanks for taking the time to talk to the masses.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast