mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Specialized messed up my new frame??? Manufacturing error??

Hi there fellow bikers!

I was super happy to order a new 2014 SJ FSR comp carbon a couple of weeks ago, coming from a 5 year old 26" HT this was a big step for me!

I really wanted an internal routed command post so I was super keen to read the specification for the bike and I even asked my LBS and the specialized crew at the demo event about it, they said no problem, fine so I put an order I really don't want any dropper post with any external routing.

Specification:
    http://i.snag.gy/PPuve.jpg

This clip, @1 min 5 sec:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAAF-27Mmug ... "you have command post routing on the carbon bikes, internally down the down tube "

I even asked Specialized_Joe before I ordered it!
    http://i.snag.gy/8snyV.jpg
    "For the SJ FSR, all carbon models are now compatible with the IR routing for 2014. The alloy models are designed for externally routed dropper posts only."

BUT, now when I got my brand new beauty, there's now way I can install the command post IR!
    There are no holes to route the cable to the seat tube and the hole where to put the cable is WAY off to route it down the down tube, see here:
    http://i.snag.gy/a74cP.jpg

That must be a manufacturing error?

I really love the bike but I feel that Specialized mislead me about the IR routing. I was so keen to have a clean look with less cables hanging around my new bike.

Like I said, I have been saving up for a new bike for 5 years and finally pull the trigger so I'm very disappointed, not about the Stumpy because I love the ride but about the false information I got from the web, the the specialized crew at the demo event and from my LBS, if it's not a manufacturing error of course.

Here she is:
    http://i.snag.gy/4Mr6K.jpg

What shall I do?
    How do you guys think Specialized will handle it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Did you check where the IR enters on all the other Specialized bikes? 3rd cable clamp along the downtube, the one closest to the BB, should have an open hole to route through.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Can I be the one to ask what the hell that is taped to the top tube?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post
    Some sort of cushion just in case of an involuntary slide off off the seat towards the front?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    What shall you do? Read the instructions that came with your frame. It should have internal routing -- as stated above -- through the cable guides under the down tube, closest to the BB.

Frankly, having had both, I prefer the external routing myself, but to each his own.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I would think the routing for a dropper post would go along the top tube, like the entrance hole shown on your frame. It doesn't seem to make much sense to route a cable for the post all the way down to the bottom bracket. I think the guy in the video just mis-spoke.

Have you tried routing the cable through the holes you have?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I would think the routing for a dropper post would go along the top tube, like the entrance hole shown on your frame. It doesn't seem to make much sense to route a cable for the post all the way down to the bottom bracket. I think the guy in the video just mis-spoke.

The hole in the top tube is for the externally routed command post. The picture below shows 3 cables running on the underside of a downtube. If you look closely, the cable on the left disappears at the last guide. This is the internally routed post, and it enters through a small port located beneath it.

All of this information is located within the installation guide that comes with the Command Post IR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post
    That's just my temporary pump wrapped in a bandana to protect the frame, still waiting for this bikes pump to arrive :>

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post

Yes. But there's no hole to route the cable to the seat tube. And there's no way to do a 180 turn in order to route it down the down tube as described. The hole for the dropper post is way off as you can see on the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronFPeet View Post
    The hole in the top tube is for the externally routed command post. The picture below shows 3 cables running on the underside of a downtube. If you look closely, the cable on the left disappears at the last guide. This is the internally routed post, and it enters through a small port located beneath it.

All of this information is located within the installation guide that comes with the Command Post IR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    What shall you do? Read the instructions that came with your frame. It should have internal routing -- as stated above -- through the cable guides under the down tube, closest to the BB.
    This is from the manual which is exactly what you guys describe:
    http://i.snag.gy/Rho6F.jpg

I was super happy because I didn't know that at first, but this is what my bike look like from below:
    http://i.snag.gy/V7CRH.jpg

I don't have the extended E-bat shown in the manual (and shown at the photo attached) where the command post cable should go in?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rularn View Post
    I don't have the extended E-bat shown in the manual (and shown at the photo attached) where the command post cable should go in?
    Remove the guide, and the rubber grommet underneath it. If there isn't a hole there, then you should go back and talk to your LBS. When the bike comes new from the factory, it should have come with another bag, containing the new rubber piece and the 4 position cable guides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronFPeet View Post
    Remove the guide, and the rubber grommet underneath it. If there isn't a hole there, then you should go back and talk to your LBS. When the bike comes new from the factory, it should have come with another bag, containing the new rubber piece and the 4 position cable guides.
    Problem solved . Love when knowledgeable MTBR members provide good information.

To the OP, did you not look at your new bike when you took delivery? If you are so concerned with seat post routing, as you say you were prior to your purchase, should that not have been a specific question you asked when you picked up the bike? Also, you should clean your bike once in a while, particularly if you are asking questions and posting pictures for people to help you understand a problem you are having.

As for the routing, I do think Specialized took the long way around for cable routing of a dropper post. Should have gone through/along the top tube, but maybe there was a reason whey they could not run the cabling the shorter route.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    Problem solved . Love when knowledgeable MTBR members provide good information.

To the OP, did you not look at your new bike when you took delivery? If you are so concerned with seat post routing, as you say you were prior to your purchase, should that not have been a specific question you asked when you picked up the bike? Also, you should clean your bike once in a while, particularly if you are asking questions and posting pictures for people to help you understand a problem you are having.

As for the routing, I do think Specialized took the long way around for cable routing of a dropper post. Should have gone through/along the top tube, but maybe there was a reason whey they could not run the cabling the shorter route.
    The problem is not solved

I removed the bat and there were no hole to put the dropper post cable at all :/
    see here: http://img.ctrlv.in/img/14/05/18/5378cb9ea5aef.png

My LBS was to busy with other repairs so they let me take the bike out completely stock for a week before they had the time to install the dropper post and other upgrades. When I returned the bike a week later they realized that there were no way to install the internal dropper post so they gave me the bike again so that I could ride it this weekend.

And as you can see, she's clean now I really love the rides I've had with her so far but this thing bothers me a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I really love the rides I've had with her so far but this thing bothers me a bit.
    As it should- you did not get what you paid your money for.
    I'm a bit surprised that they apparently have it on some frames, but not others? Seems odd.
    You'll need to let the LBS resolve this for you. I should think the Big S needs to ship you another frame. (Or, if the shop screwed up the original order, then they need to get you a new frame from Spesh.)

(BTW- if the LBS just drills a hole for the dropper, take pics and send those to Specialized and make sure it doesn't void your warranty... which I'm pretty sure it will)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    As it should- you did not get what you paid your money for.
    I'm a bit surprised that they apparently have it on some frames, but not others? Seems odd.
    You'll need to let the LBS resolve this for you. I should think the Big S needs to ship you another frame. (Or, if the shop screwed up the original order, then they need to get you a new frame from Spesh.)

(BTW- if the LBS just drills a hole for the dropper, take pics and send those to Specialized and make sure it doesn't void your warranty... which I'm pretty sure it will)
    I don't know yet if it was just my frame or all comp carbon frames, either way I need some advise on what I should and can demand from Specialized.

Big discount? New frame? Upgrade to expert version?

What do you guys think Specialized will and can offer me? Anything at all?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    Yeah but I really don't want a frame with a home drilled hole in it

I'm really curios to see how Specialized will handle this situation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If it was a major selling point for me and I was that concerned I would've looked at it and ensured the holes were there prior to leaving the shop and riding it. It's kind of like eating an entire meal then complaining that you didn't like the food afterwards.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That seems strange it didnt come IR routing. Maybe specialized has a typo on their site and only the expert comes with IR routing?

mtbr member
    Then return the bike, that should get someone's attention.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yeah but I really don't want a frame with a home drilled hole in it

I'm really curios to see how Specialized will handle this situation.
    If you keep the warranty and your LBS drill the hole, what's the difference? Do they do something different i Taiwan that your LBS can't handle?

mtbr member
    Maybe the comp carbon frame loses the downtube internal routing and just has the top tube routing? The top tube option is still technically internal as it goes through the frame (and I'd imagine it might be a little less prone to getting gunk and debris in it vs. the downtube). Having ridden both styles of frames and both styles of posts I actually kind of prefer the older way for ease of setup and maintenance. But at the same time it's your bike and you should have exactly what you were told you'd get.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Update?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well, I have no idea why but apparently Specialized let a few SJ carbon frames leave the factory without the hole for the IR dropper post, so for that reason they will replace my frame.
    The bad thing is that my LBS need to ship the frame for inspection before Specialized can send a new one, so I will be without my bike for approximately two weeks but hopefully my LBS can let be borrow a demo ride during that time.
    My LBS will also switch parts so I just have to wait but they were very confused about why the heck Specialized shipped the bike without the hole for the dropper post.
    Anyway mistakes happen and the most important part is that it seems like they care about the customers and I have been able to ride it during all of this. My LBS and also Specialized Joe have been very helpful and it will be fixed at the end.

mtbr member
    Well, I have no idea why but apparently Specialized let a few SJ carbon frames leave the factory without the hole for the IR dropper post, so for that reason they will replace my frame.
    The bad thing is that my LBS need to ship the frame for inspection before Specialized can send a new one, so I will be without my bike for approximately two weeks but hopefully my LBS can let be borrow a demo ride during that time.
    My LBS will also switch parts so I just have to wait but they were very confused about why the heck Specialized shipped the bike without the hole for the dropper post.
    Anyway mistakes happen and the most important part is that it seems like they care about the customers and I have been able to ride it during all of this. My LBS and also Specialized Joe have been very helpful and it will be fixed at the end.
    A picture should be all they need to send a new frame and ship the defective frame after it is received.. shame they put a customer out of a ride for 2 weeks for their screwup Bad Bad Customer Service!!!
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Actually, it sounds as though Specialized is taking a major financial hit on the frame because of a very minor mistake, the LBS is going to have to do hours of work to fix it, and that they collectively are standing behind their product. I know from friends' experience that LBS'es can get Specialized to send a new frame before receiving the old one back, but the LBS is putting its own money at risk when it does so and this is easier for bigger shops. You may be able to negotiate that by putting in a temporary deposit with the LBS.