mtbr member

Specialized lock-on grip orientation

I got the official word today from Specialized on my query as to how to orient their lock-on grips. The metal clamps are supposed to go on the inside. I guess I must be dense or something, because I have them installed clamps-outward on three of my bikes. Job #1 tonight is to reorient my grips.

I wish I'd saved the instruction cards that came w/the grips. I want to know whether I'm just thick-headed, or whether the instructions aren't clear. (The former probably applies regardless ).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    well that all depense, -----yes when the bikes are stock the clamp goes on the inside, ---but myself and alot of people run the clamp on the outside to protect the bar and grip in a crash ( and i like the feel of the clamp on my pad in my specialized glove when its on the end of the bar)

when you get the specialized closed end cap's for the lock on grips , they to go on the outside of the bar ,

the closed end caps are really cool and and provides alot of protection and gives you something to hold onto .

if you crash with your clamps on the inside of your bar you will compleatly ruin the grip and if you have a carbon bar, ----it to gets ground up.

i just got my closed end caps on this weekend and the things are great, -----i droped my bike 3 times trying to climb up the waterfall ( long story and almost impossable climb) ---and the bar and grips are not toutched !!!!

mtbr member
    It's funny. I've never thought about protecting the grip. I've actually been more worried about protecting those nice, shiny clamps. A couple of mine have already been scratched up more than I'd like just from leaning my bike up against brick walls while I run into stores and such. I also have to take care to avoid gravel and rock when laying a bike down.

I'll probably break down and order a set of those closed end caps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    It's funny. I've never thought about protecting the grip. I've actually been more worried about protecting those nice, shiny clamps. A couple of mine have already been scratched up more than I'd like just from leaning my bike up against brick walls while I run into stores and such. I also have to take care to avoid gravel and rock when laying a bike down.

I'll probably break down and order a set of those closed end caps.
    i know it sucks to scratch a new bike , ---( you should see mine )

but many times after a nasty climb i am so dead and i can almost not get unclipped , and it is everything i can do to drop the bike on the left hand side gently and put my arms above my head and try to get air .

my poor heart is at 200 and about to seize

i try to not scratch the thing -----but when you are really trying technical hard strange rocky stuff -----you are going to mark up the bar ends , ----------but when its a closed cap you are marking ---------it really is ok