Prices of S-works bikes
    Epic 26 8800 -> 9300
    Epic 29 9400 -> 9900
    SJ FSR 7700 ->8100

Other SJ FSR's
    Pro carbon 5500 ->5800
    Expert 4400 -> 4700
    Elite 3000 ->3100

I called specialized and they said it's due to an increase in production cost.
    Last edited by GTR2ebike; 01-30-2011 at 08:56 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Been discussed to death. Months ago. No one cares. People are still lining up to get the higher end bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Been discussed to death. Months ago. No one cares. People are still lining up to get the higher end bikes.
    Months ago? this price update happened TODAY, maybe their was another in the past.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Oh, whoops... I guess they decided to screw over a bunch of people that have the expensive bikes on order. I thought you were talking about the first 2010-2011 price increase !

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Scary stuff!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This f'ing blows!! Price of the Camber Pro I've been looking at ordering went up from $2800 to $2900. Lucky my shop already gave me a great written reduced price quote. Hopefully they'll still honor it?!?!?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM0031
    This f'ing blows!! Price of the Camber Pro I've been looking at ordering went up from $2800 to $2900. Lucky my shop already gave me a great written reduced price quote. Hopefully they'll sill honor it?!?!?!
    I'm in the same boat, I have prices from my local shop (not written ) Not sure what they'll do when I go to order it and realized their price went up.

Ben-Jammin
    I have a feeling this wont affect shop prices.

But I got my Epic Comp Carbon 29er in September... So, I don't really care much either way. :P

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It is my understanding that the price increase only affects bikes shipped after Feb 14. I have a bike on order and was told that today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    there is this thing out there , its called inflation, maybe you heard of it...or as bender(the robot, not the hucker) says, "THINGS COST MORE THEN THEY USED TO"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPH KID
    It is my understanding that the price increase only affects bikes shipped after Feb 14. I have a bike on order and was told that today.
    Where did you hear this?

mtbr member
    Blame Taiwan, their currency is doing really well right now so you're gonna see price hikes on everything coming out of there, not just bikes.

"Its All Good"
    As crashed mentioned, inflation (check out the strength of the US Dollar!, oh yes it is as weak as p i s s)

Another way of looking at it, you could get a full custom frame and the best components and build a bike, of which I think would come in far cheaper than the high end Specialized models. Specialized have never been cheap in my opinion... Again only my opinion...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    try the uk we have been given the rotten end of the stick for years even when it was $2 to the uk £ we were paying the same in pounds as you were in dollars!! S works prices are stupid high this year A 26" epic is 9838 us over here!!!! It been that price since the price releases in the summer!!

Is it Friday yet?
    Going from $9,400 to $9,900 is a 5% increase. If that was a $2,000 bike, it would be up $100.

If you can afford a $9,000 bike, I'm guessing they figure you will pay 5% more.

Sweet bike, btw!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    I called specialized and they said it's due to an increase in production cost.
    Anything they tell you besides they think they can make more money by charging more is a lie. Companies, like Specialized, will play around with pricing to get as close to the sweet spot, or the profit maximizing price, as possible. If they had information showing they would make more money by charging less per bike and selling more bikes, they would do it in a heartbeat. Apparently, that's not the assumption they're making.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwrides
    Going from $9,400 to $9,900 is a 5% increase. If that was a $2,000 bike, it would be up $100.

If you can afford a $9,000 bike, I'm guessing they figure you will pay 5% more.

Sweet bike, btw!
    They didn't up the price of stumpy or epic comp models, i haven't/don't look at other models

Is it Friday yet?
    They didn't up the price of stumpy or epic comp models, i haven't/don't look at other models
    Yeah, that was my point. They know they can make more off you because you're at the high end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pretty lame....perhaps they will start doing pre-season pricing for those that orderd in aug-sept?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Enduro Comp went up from $2,900 to $3,000.

Enduro Expert and EVO went up $300 each.

Damn.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Things Cost More Then They Used To!!!!

Gas Prices Fluctuate More Wildly Then This, Why Arent You Screaming About That???!!!!

Sup
    taco bell 2 dollar meal deal
    suck it up and ride

SJ
    I am slow therefore I am

"Its All Good"
    If the prices are to high, vote with your feet, in the end any company will listen if the sales drop like a brick...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ah I found a mag from 2004? In the garage lat weekend and the article was saying how expensive the new bikes were 4k for an S-works!! It's all relative I am very luck to have been in a position to buy an S works as it was my dream bike for years and years won't be updating it for a few years though !!

gone for a bike ride
    still have my 04 S-Works Epic - have now ridden a mile for every dollar it cost when new & the beauty has yet to fade

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by speedoflife
    Enduro Comp went up from $2,900 to $3,000.

Enduro Expert and EVO went up $300 each.

Damn.
    Glad I order my enduro evo a couple of weeks ago. If this bike was close to 5g's I probally would have bought something different.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedupderby
    Things Cost More Then They Used To!!!!

Gas Prices Fluctuate More Wildly Then This, Why Arent You Screaming About That???!!!!
    Probably not screaming about gas prices because this forum is mostly about mountain bikes, not cars. Just saying!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Still, funny how last years models drop 1/4 off in some cases when the new line comes out.. Still "worth" the original price??

I got a 2010 Enduro Comp with £500 off list (£1999 down to £1499) back in November.

Now who takes the drop in price there? The supplier or the LBS???

People arent in business to give stuff away though it would be interesting to find out what margins the shops are on. A £10k bike must be worth a fair bit in profits.

Rider
    Nov 2010
    My experience is that dealers typically have a 30%-40% margin on the higher end bikes at MSRP before you add dealer costs.
    Before the price hike, a dealer in the US could buy a $9,400 MSRP bike for ~$5800 and lower depending on their overall status with Specialized.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Def related to the weakness of the dollar... this is what happens when you run up 14 Trillion worth of debt.

Look at your grocery bill... are they gouging you too? No its that the dollar is plummeting.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by mlevinson
    Def related to the weakness of the dollar... this is what happens when you run up 14 Trillion worth of debt.
    BINGO

This is so the problem, take a look at what the US of A owes China now, it is significant.... Go your president with his stimulus packages!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Camber Xpert from 2200 to 2400!!! It's more than 9% !!! This is not inflation!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I hope since I laid down a deposit and got an invoice...I am locked in at the rate I agreed to. I would not appreciate a hundred dollar increase for a frame.

Now broadcasting from CO
    good thing I got mine last week...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is what it is, but 5K+ for a bike with a Joy-Tech rear hub? Meh....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JefedelosJefes
    Blame Taiwan, their currency is doing really well right now so you're gonna see price hikes on everything coming out of there, not just bikes.
    That's probably the best answer for these sudden price rises. Specialized is an American bicycle company but all their products are actually made and shipped worldwide from the far east. Specialized does R&D, design, marketing, customer service etc as opposed to the manufacturing which is outsourced. The parts are all bought in under contract from other large companies who actually make the parts in their own factories. A lot of Specialized's products come from Taiwan.

If you look at articles such as this one about Taiwan's economy then the Taiwanese factories which build the bicycles for Specialized have seen the costs of their raw materials and fuel increase recently. This means it's costing the factories more to make the same bicycles than previously, pushing up "factory gate inflation" (the amount that the factories charge Specialized for their products) .

http://www.rttnews.com/content/AllEc...SimRec=1&Node=

At the same time the Taiwan dollar has appreciated against the US dollar making the cost of buying and importing products from Taiwan (by Specialized) more expensive due to a worsening exchange rate. This article explains the implications quite well:

http://www.taiwaninsights.com/2010/1...mestic-demand/

It's quite possible that the prices are being increased now in order to maintain Specialized's profit margins against possible future cost increases also. In the UK for example you've got factors such as the recent 2.5% increase in VAT rate to 20%, increases in fuel duty and the upcoming National Insurance rise in April which all increase the costs of doing business. These increase the costs for Specialized but also for the bike shops who sell the bikes. Although a business can claim back the VAT on purchases it automatically means that the price of a bicycle sold in the UK will be 2.5% more expensive than last year due to the increased sales tax.

Those higher costs need to be covered somehow. Most likely by passing them on to the consumer through increasing retail prices. The alternative is for the business to absorb the costs and make less profit, which most businesses won't do given the choice. It's better to get the shock of a price rise out of the way in one go than have constant price changes throughout the year if possible.
    Last edited by WR304; 01-19-2011 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    I work in the steel building industry and I can tell you guys that the scrap steel market and mills are all going up right now, across the board.
    Anything with a substantial amount of steel/aluminum in it will go up over the next 6 months.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    BINGO

This is so the problem, take a look at what the US of A owes China now, it is significant.... Go your president with his stimulus packages!
    If he didnt do it, we would be much worse off. And remember he walked in to a $hitstorm with an economy in a full on down turn. No body likes the situation but you cant blame him for it.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My bike shop said that they weren't told to put this into effect till sometime in February, so go buy now?? Good excuse for the wife/parents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emryium
    My bike shop said that they weren't told to put this into effect till sometime in February, so go buy now?? Good excuse for the wife/parents.
    Problem with that is I want to test the bikes before hand(+ 1 other). Considering there's about 8 inches of snow on the ground, I don't think that would yield an accurate test

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Problem with that is I want to test the bikes before hand(+ 1 other). Considering there's about 8 inches of snow on the ground, I don't think that would yield an accurate test
    You want to be able to test a $5,000+ bike before you buy it? How absurd.

Just kidding. Maybe you can work out a deal with the shop to guarantee original pricing if you wait.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, working out a deal with your bike shop is the only way. Maybe put the money down now for the price guarantee? I guess my statement only applies to people in the Southwest for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedoflife
    You want to be able to test a $5,000+ bike before you buy it? How absurd. Just kidding.
    I know right but they don't test anything but the basic bikes around here atleast. I guess it gives a decent feel of the geometry, that's about all that is the same.

The price jump did make me re-think my decision to get an s-works, when the price changed it help put the amount in perspective. However at this point I think i'm going to end up with an epic and look at the epic (26er) line in the US it's either S-works or elite with nothing in between. Then you look at UK and they have the marathon and expert in between.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Same boat here. Been considering a 29er Epic for this spring but have never ridden a 29er before, so without a doubt I want to test ride before plopping down 5 grand. We are buried in snow and current temp is 11. (Not that the cold really bothers me but I draw the line for riding at 15 degrees and/or 2+ inches of snow.) So I can't see being able to test ride a 2011 model until after this price increase is in effect.

mtbr member
    The price increase is in response to the increase in production costs. The prices on specialized.com reflect the manufacturers suggested retail price and may or may not effect the price of the bike that you are waiting for or hoping to soon purchase. You will need to discuss pricing with your Specialized dealer to see if your bike will be effected by the increase or not.
    Let us know how we can make your riding experience a better one. How may I help you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    OMG, I just checked their site out. Everything has gone up.

Enduro all models up 300 bucks.

Demo 8 up 200 bucks

SX trail frame up 500$ !!!!!

I was seriously considering building up an sx trail frame, but for the price now(2k$), no way. Looking elsewhere.

Hm, maybe quantitative easing is working....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert@Specialized
    The price increase is in response to the increase in production costs. The prices on specialized.com reflect the manufacturers suggested retail price and may or may not effect the price of the bike that you are waiting for or hoping to soon purchase. You will need to discuss pricing with your Specialized dealer to see if your bike will be effected by the increase or not.
    So what your really saying is this doesn't change what the dealers pay for the bikes it's just a MSRP jump. At least that's what I got from this

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My dealer told me when I went to pickup my SXT frame that they new this was going to happen as far back as november. He said it was related to the cost of materials in Taiwan. I am psyched that I got my frame for the old price (and even a little less because the shop doesn't charge full MSRP)

mtbr member
    So what your really saying is this doesn't change what the dealers pay for the bikes it's just a MSRP jump. At least that's what I got from this
    The price increase effects both the MSRP and what the dealers pay for the bike.
    Let us know how we can make your riding experience a better one. How may I help you?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam
    SX trail frame up 500$ !!!!!

I was seriously considering building up an sx trail frame, but for the price now(2k$), no way. Looking elsewhere...
    Just from my view point, you can get a far better frame for 2K USD than a Speci SX frame....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast