mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Specialized hydraulic seat post. need help

Hello, I have a 2011 speacialized epic comp. I'm think of buying a hrdraulic seat post. I don't really like manually adjusting my seat while everyone is riding. All my riding buddies have it on their bikes. Anyone knows what model will fit my bike? Thx

Elitest thrill junkie
    Nope, but not all of those seatposts are hydraulic. Specialized for example, uses a cable-actuated seatpost that relies on an air-spring. The cable control allows your body weight to "lower" The post, where it locks in place, using the cable returns it to a higher height with an air-spring.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

ijd
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A 30.9mm Specialized Command Post should be the size you are after. They different sizes which have of drop. You could also get a Rockshox Reverb or one of the KS dropper posts. You will want an externally routed one and not a stealth one as I don't think your bike has provisions for a stealth post.

mtbr member
    I had a 2011 Epic and had a Command Post on it. 30.9 is correct. It will make you fall in love with the bike all over again.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    The Specialized Command Post Black-Lite is good.

The Rock Shox Reverb is the best.

The new Thomson seems promising.

They ALL need regular maintenance.

mtbr member
    ^I guess I'd steer away from calling one the best and others not as good, but I will tell you my experience. I have owned 4 and currently own 3 specialized Command Posts. They are in their third (kinda fourth, but the second was more of a 1.5) iteration design-wise and the only flaw in the first two iterations was the seat clamp tilt could slip if you really hit it hard with your arse. They've fixed that. They've refined several other things about it, including the seat clamp and the thumb lever and a few other bits, but every single one of them has been amazing. The only time I've had to service any of them was to do a "winterizing" tune on one I have on my fatbike. That post is 3 1/2 years old and has had the most use/ abuse and other than changing the fluid, I've not had to do a thing to it (except keep the seal clean). And this is in a pretty arid environment (Colorado). Not everyone cares for the three-position engagement, but I really like it. Some people also don't care for how fast it comes up, but I like it- it goes back into position with a positive snap and you never have to wonder if your seat is all the way back up.

I've also had a reverb, and have many, many friends who have reverbs. They, also, have gotten WAY better over time, but for some reason, they still use a hydraulic line for the remote (which I think is silly) and it seems most people I know, like Avid brakes, have to bleed the remote line pretty regularly. Otherwise, infinite adjustment, good actuation, etc.

I also have a KS Lev, mostly because it's a Lev or a GD for 27.2 frames, and I chose the Lev. It's aiiight, but I don't love it. I've had a ton of problems with how creaky it is, and they clamp design at the rails is horrible (who puts a round nut that can spin on a part that needs to be super tight?). The saddle slides back in the rails, creaks, etc, but I think I've fixed this, but it took some work. I also don't like how slowly it comes back up. Otherwise, I love the lever (actually put a KS lever on one of my Command Posts). Another friend has the newer Lev (mine is 2 years old?) and said his is noisy as heck as well.

I have two friends with Thomsons- not a single issue that I know of. Not a cheap post, either.

Word
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Specialized hydraulic seat post. need help

I have had KS Lev before. While many of my friends swore by the flexibility of variable positioning of the saddle, I only need 2 or max 3 positions. 1 for long haul rides. 1 for trail and 1 for jumps. So specialized post works great for me.