mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Specialized grips

What specilized grips are good?

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Your going to want to be more specific with your question, "good" for who? Thin grips for small hands (or weight weenies), thick for large. That's just a general rule and to be honest go to a bike shop and what ever model you like, buy them. Oury Lock-ons are my favourites but are not for everyone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have small hands and i race. i was thinking about getting the sworks grips but i had herd some bad things about them

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by little man
    I have small hands and i race. i was thinking about getting the sworks grips but i had herd some bad things about them
    IMO they suck honestly. very much a personal preference thing though.

Bike to the Bone...
    I use Body Geometry grips, I really like them, but they are thick, I have big hands. Only downside is that they tend to rotate sometimes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I use Body Geometry grips, I really like them, but they are thick, I have big hands. Only downside is that they tend to rotate sometimes.
    Every Specd bike Ive ever owned, the first thing I did was dump the bars and grips. Actually my first Specd bike was a 94 Stumpjumper that had flat bars and grey sworks grips that matched the grey tread sworks tires. I actually liked the grips and tires but I burned thru them both in weeks. Since then Ive never cared for the OEM grips, the ties have been pretty good.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

dead sailor
    Specialized grips suck.
    What good are grips if they're just gonna slip n' slide or tear off?

Unless the weight of your grips mean winning the race or not, I would go for lock-on type grips.
    phuck it!

p.s. I NEED a Pugsley

mtbr member

Grips

A good tacky(sticky) grip that is very thin is the WTB Weirwolf grip. My wife has these on her bike and loves them, she has small hands.
    "Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you." W. W.

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    I happen to like whatever cheapo Spesh grips came on my new RH Pro Disc. Dual compound whatevers. I have big hands, like thin hard grips, and so far they actually haven't torn off, slipped, or twisted much at all. When they go to crap though I'm getting a set of Ruffian ODI Lock-Ons. Oh and I like my gloves to have very little padding as well.

Go old school retro. Get a set of Tomac grips. Those have to be the hardest, thinnest, most tear-your-hands-open-without-gloves grips ever. God I loved those on my old bike.
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by little man
    What specilized grips are good?
    I've had good experiences with the Body Geometry grips. I've used several other aftermarket companies, but these really did decrease contact pressure on the outer part of my palm as claimed. May not work for everyone, but it does for me.

Oh yeah, hairspray on the handlebar will allow the grip to slide on, but will dry over night and stick the grip in place so it doesn't rotate later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I got body geometry grips on my enduro expert and I like them. No pain with hands. The only negative point is that there are not as easy to take off and put back on as the lock on grips. Maybe specialized could do specialized body geometry grips but in a lock on style

mtbr member
    first thing I do on any bike is
    PUT ON specialized bg-pro's or durrango grips(same bit smaller spikey things)
    I love em,
    Dont use hairspray on shot peened(rough) bars(it wont dry)....use air or water even.....

Gravity Rides Everything
    the BG grips that come on most of their mtb's rock in my opinion. sorta soft compound that wears a bit faster than some grips, but they are comfortable and easy to hold onto.