mtbr member

Specialized going to a 5 year warranty

I just found out that in 07 Specialized is going to a 5 year warranty instead of lifetime on frames. I know in the past the lifetime warrany was one good reason to pick Specialized over say a Santa Cruz or other bike with a short warranty.

Will this effect you choice of Specialized in the future?

Get Down Do you
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman
    I just found out that in 07 Specialized is going to a 5 year warranty instead of lifetime on frames. I know in the past the lifetime warrany was one good reason to pick Specialized over say a Santa Cruz or other bike with a short warranty.

Well Santa Cruz and a lot of other smaller brands all have 2yr warranties so 5 yrs is still ahead of the curve as far as that is concerned.

I will say that I would be rather dissapointed about this warranty being that one of the reasons that I choose specialized is the lifetime warranty. Although I have honestly never had to use it ever. I have never broken a frame item in my life. Minus a front fork on my 1st rigid. I have noticed that most people who do break frame items tend to do them rather quickly in the frames life (ie 2-3yrs) also it seems that people tend to buy new bikes at least every 5yrs.

At least my current stable will be grandfathered in so I am ok there but for 07 and beyond I will start to strongly look at other manufacturers with similar warranties and pricepoints instead of just picking spec b/c of the warranty.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

Keepin' it real since '74
    I'll continue to buy Specialized. I never ride a bike for more than 4 years anyway.
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

5 years is a lifetime for a mountainbike.

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    Bummer.

Though I'm buying an 06 BigHit so it will be covered by the lifetime warranty which is nice, as will my 05 Rockhopper. Ultimately it's a selling point for me, the lifetime warranty. However for me I'm far more likely to crack a DH/FR bike or a street frame than I am my putzin' around hardtail, and the DH/FR bike is the bike likely to have the shortest lifespan before being replaced with the latest and greatest thing before it's 5 years old. So we'll see, I doubt it will make that much difference to me personally.

Still though, a lifetime warranty looks really good for marketting if nothing else.
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's a shame if it's true. It's a major selling point IMO.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

X-Ray Guy
    FSR was the major selling point for me...lifetime warranty...kinda a bonus..may not be true but i dont see myself with the same bike after 5 years. I bought a biek 2 summers ago...upgraded it for a year and then bought a new enduro and im already lookin at some nice intense frames. After years of good riding fatigue developes on alluminum and even steel. id still be happy with 5 vs 2 years.

Bike to the Bone...
    Hmmm... I think 'lifetime warranty' sounds pretty nice on paper. I really wonder what would happen if you took a 91 Stumpjumper to the LBS claiming it has a manufacturing defect.

I think that 5 years is more than enough time to know if a bike is working or has a flaw. The only scenario I think it wouldn't be enough is when someone buys it, stores it in the basement, and after 5 years decide to see what he has stored there.

Get Down Do you
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Hmmm... I think 'lifetime warranty' sounds pretty nice on paper. I really wonder what would happen if you took a 91 Stumpjumper to the LBS claiming it has a manufacturing defect.

I think that 5 years is more than enough time to know if a bike is working or has a flaw. The only scenario I think it wouldn't be enough is when someone buys it, stores it in the basement, and after 5 years decide to see what he has stored there.

I don't know Rzoaya I know people who ride their bikes forever. They are the same people that keep a car for 10yrs and keep up on all the maintenance. The problem is not a flaw but how the bike fatiques over the years. Some people like me for instance like the latest and greatest and will buy a bike at least every 5yrs but I know others that buy a bike and if they like it they basically keep it for life.

A lot of casual bikers keep bikes for a long time b/c they do in a year what some do in a week. So for those people the lifetime warranty is great. Or another case would be people like me that don't get rid of old bikes ever and I love to get on my old steeds and ride them for nostalgia. I would hate to have to worry about busting a chainstay on an old bike and making it useless. Now when my FSR or my future 07 FSR should I say gets over 5yrs old I basically have to put the frame up on the wall and use the parts on a new bike b/c if it breaks it's done forever.

Just playing devils advocate but I will miss the lifetime warranty.

Bike to the Bone...
    I sort of agree with you. I know there are a lot riders that keep bikes 4ever, and some who don't really ride much. But, I think that warranty are supposed to insure that there is a time period where the purchase good proves to be of a given quality. I really don't know materials much, but I've heard about Al fatigue.

Let's say you're the original owner and keep that '91 stumpjumper, you clean it now and then, eventually you take it to a LBS to have it tuned up and good, and in 2010 the chainstay breaks..... Can you really say that the chainstay broke because of some manufactured defect? What can Specialized do then? I don't think they keep a warehouse with frames from that year to replace the original frame. And let's say that Specialized decide to give you a brand new 2010 Stumpjumper to replace your broken frame. What about components? Probably you have a 1" threaded fork, and some things that may only work on that bike. You could claim that Specialized must replace those items to current ones. Do you think that would happen? ( I really don't know ).

I think that Specialized is just wanting to limit their liablilities to a more manageable time period, which I think is reasonable, and more time than most boutique frames (which have like 1 or 2 year warranties).

Now, really, I think lifetime warranty is a good selling point, but I don't think it's a must. A shorter warranty life doesn't mean that CS will go sour.... Or that they will start playing a 'it's not our fault' tune from Spech., just that they want to give a more realistic numbers, and probably they will save some money, but I don't really know what's the percentage of warranty incidend they have with bikes older than 5 years.

Get Down Do you

I think that Specialized is just wanting to limit their liablilities to a more manageable time period, which I think is reasonable, and more time than most boutique frames (which have like 1 or 2 year warranties).

Now, really, I think lifetime warranty is a good selling point, but I don't think it's a must. A shorter warranty life doesn't mean that CS will go sour.... Or that they will start playing a 'it's not our fault' tune from Spech., just that they want to give a more realistic numbers, and probably they will save some money, but I don't really know what's the percentage of warranty incidend they have with bikes older than 5 years.

Yeah spec is just covering their ass and I am sure that with freeriding becoming more and more prevalent that frame breakage is probably becoming more frequent. So the cost to keep replacing frames will eventually put spec out of the black.

I just know that I will miss being able to tell all my boutique junky friends that I have a liftetime warranty. It's always been a major point with me and why I love spec.

Now I know from experience with others that when spec warranties your frame it just the frame and there is no concern over components or building your bike back to where it was so going to a '91 to an 2010 as per your example would mean that yes you get a new frame and you can have fun building it up and sorry your old stuff doesn't fit but tuff.

In the end spec is a buisness and they have to do what's best for themselves and their profit margins so I can't fault them for the change. I guess it just the end of an era.

mtbr member
    It is a selling point for me. But, if I only had a 5 year warranty and broke the frame on year 6, I would be ecstatic about shopping for a new bike with new components. Just compare the bikes from 2000 to the ones being sold today. What level will the technology be at in 2012?

mtbr member

So they're going back to where they were 10 years ago on warranty... My '96 had a 5 year warranty it lasted 3 years, my 99 had a 5 year warranty, it lasted 3 years, my '02 has a lifetime warranty the seatstays broke after about 3 years.. 5 years works for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrash
    I'll continue to buy Specialized. I never ride a bike for more than 4 years anyway.
    Heh, I'm starting year 5 now...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Absolutely will affect my choice - Shame on Specialized!

That was a HUGE selling point for me. I like knowing that I am covered if the frame ever broke.

Otherwise, I would not have spent almost $5k on my most recent Specialized (2004 S-works enduro). I am on my second Specialized with no problems so far. I spent $2.5k on my last one in 2000. Who knows how much I might be willing to spend on one in a few years.

So then why would anyone choose a $4k+ specialized over Intense, sanata cruz, Titus. Ellsworth, etc. What makes specialized so special? In my eyes, a lot of it was the warranty. If they are willing to stand behind their frames to that level, I had no problem spending $$ on them. Otherwise they are just another overpriced made in Taiwan bike.

So who in the he11 would anyone spend $7k on the new carbon Stumpy s-works without a lifetime wararnty? $7k on a bike is just laughable a carbon-freame mtn Bike frame is just laughable, but I have been tempted because it's just so cool. But with no lifetime frame warranty, forget it! How much can that lifetime replacement policy really cost specialized compared to how many bikes they sell?

Is Specialized making frames so light now or for so cheap that they are seriously sacraficing reliability? COME ON!!!! Lifetime warranty is like part of their brand recognition. What suit-wearing idiot's idea was that? It's like saying that "We are just no longer that confident in our frames". Dumba$$es!

At least keep a lifetime warranty for the S-works models (Even that's still lame because it's basically the same frame). Someone who spends that much money on a bike is not going to abuse it by converting it to free-ride or down-hill and thrash it. They'll just spend the money for the appropriate bike.

This just really Pisses me off! Say it's not so...

This will be my last Specialized unless they go back to a Lifetime frame warranty.

I'll may even have to change my screen name!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a 99 FSR Stumpy and am taking it into my LBS to have a look at a crack in the rear swingarm for the second time. Last time it was replaced for free (I paid labor) but with what specialized had left in stock. I only got the chainstay part of the four link replaced since that is what cracked. What specialized had left in stock was silver with ORANGE graphics. My bike is siver with red and white graphics. So, you don't always get the best outcome when something breaks even under the "Lifetime Warranty". However, I have heard of guys getting a new frame with a new SHOCK which is really lucky if you ask me. I can only hope that my LBS will go to bat for me, which is what it really comes down to since specialized doesn't see the failed part until after they've sent a replacement in most cases. I would love have to upgrade all components on my FSR since I was going to have to do it eventually anyway --- I can only hope that I'll get a new frame out of the deal this time and not just a chainstay with PINK graphics this time.

My Rusty Knee
    Couple of years back my mate took his stumpjumper (91 or 92) to a shop and found the allignment tf the rear was out by 8mm. he got a new m4 stumpy frame.

The lifetime warrenty was a seeling point for me, but 5 years is still ok altough not as nice. That may be the difference for me to not get a spesh next time.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    I also wonder if they'll take the new warranty into account when pricing the new bikes. I would hope so but probably not.

Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Of course it was a reason to by Specialized. EVERYBODY I know who rides XC with any frequency breaks a FS frame. My buddies Dad who is 6'4 and rides three days a week goes through a frame every year or so, and he's tried the all over the last fifteen years. He's finally settled on the GF 292, and he's on his third frame.

Titus Motolite or FS SJ, tougher question now for sure.

hummm! should I?
    Dec 2005

i am curious!

If Specialized is going to a five year warranty that is very interesting, for obvious reasons. But where did you get this information? My dealer has not heard about this. They called Spec warrranty and Spec told them that this is not true and that there are no plans to change the current lifetime warranty.
    Is this just a rumor?

thanks in advance

d12294

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Specialized Warranty

My dealer says still lifetime, at least for the Stumpjumper 2006. The Specialized web-page still quotes lifetime in their FAQ section on warranty saying they considered 5 year then changed their mind and went back to lifetime.

X-Ray Guy
    yeh Murchman never really said where he got this info from...could be just a rumour or something

bi-winning
    All of this after Giant recently switched TO a lifetime warranty. I thought i would never crack a frame... However when i did, it was after less than three years anyways. Five years is decent, but it certainly would suck to have it fail shortly after that warranty period.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club