mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Specialized Future e100 Brain vs Fox 32 f100 RLC

Looking for some advice..should I keep my Fox 32 f100 RLC front fork..had up graded the fork with the enduro seals..works great...and switch out to the specialized future e100 brain..is the specialized lighter/better..have compresion rebound setting or a blow of valve..what would make the switch any better..any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Last page of this thread compares a terralogic to the e100. Not exactly what you are looking for but might be helpful...

My New S-work Epic impressions
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the info..read up on everthing..I will stay with the fox RLC...poss. upgrade would be the QR 15 with the 1.5 tapper/ currently useing an 1/8-1.5 adaptor...can you tell the difference between the 9mm and QR 15..and 1.5 steere tube...

htj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaldown
    Thanks for the info..read up on everthing..I will stay with the fox RLC...poss. upgrade would be the QR 15 with the 1.5 tapper/ currently useing an 1/8-1.5 adaptor...can you tell the difference between the 9mm and QR 15..and 1.5 steere tube...
    I have a F100 Terralogic with 1.5" taper headtube and QR15 on my Epic. It feels notably stiffer than my previous SID with regular QR and 1 1/8" inch steerer. However I did change to a stiffer frame at the same time , so it is not a completely fair comparison.

It is not a day and night feeling, but it does make the bike easier to control on downhills and it tracks very well in turns. It is possible to ride fast with both

The "downside" is that the FOX forks with tapered steerer and QR15 are a bit heavy. Mine weighs in about 1700 grams. However as I'm fairly large rider at 189 cm / 6'2 at 81 kg and rides a size XL epic, I think it is okay to gain a bit of weight on the bike, while gaining some better prediction and better handling. I suspect the benefits are smaller for lighter riders.

I think there was some reports from a german bike magazine, which had measured a bit on the stiffness for tapered steerer vs. regular. They also measured a regular fork in a frame with tapered headtube, and came to the conclusion that most of the stiffness actually came from the tapered headtube. A tapered steerer of course made it more stiff, but most of it came from the headtube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Some good information, ...stiffness mostly came from the tapered headtube. Good stuff...so a straight 1/8 steerer tube is lighter and almost as stiff when using a 1.5 adaptor. Wonder if people use this as a prefered set up..