mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Specialized Front hub??

Hi Guys,
    So I have a 2013 Epic Comp

I'm looking at new wheelsets for it but I can't figure out what I would order for a front hub? It's the DT/Specialized version of a sort of thru axle/QR and I feel it is much stiffer than a regular QR, just not sure if other hub makers make the same size....
    thanks,
    Zach

mtbr member
    It's a Specialized only and the Hubs are the weak point if you want to keep the DT QR

Failing that any 100mm disc hub with QR will fit the fork and be just as stiff, you may find a new wheel is actually lighter and better built especially of you go for something like Hope Pro2 - Hope may do a 9mm so you may be able to use the DT QR
    Complete wheel sets work out cheaper than replacing hubs or just one wheel at a time.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach75 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    So I have a 2013 Epic Comp

I'm looking at new wheelsets for it but I can't figure out what I would order for a front hub? It's the DT/Specialized version of a sort of thru axle/QR and I feel it is much stiffer than a regular QR, just not sure if other hub makers make the same size....
    thanks,
    Zach
    Yup-- there are kits to run the 9mm thru bolt that you have currently on other hubs. I'm in a similar situation (just picked up a Comp Carbon) and have been looking forward to replacing the wheelset at some point. At the very least Industry Nine, American Classic, Hope, and DT Swiss hubs have the option to run a 9mm thru; you may just have to buy the extra adaptor when you buy the hubs/wheelset. There may be others as well, but those are the ones I've seen listed online that I've been interested in. Look for something along the lines of "9mm Thru" and you should be good. With that said, I'd ask whoever you're buying from first before payment just to make sure. Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the replies. So if I order a new wheel set I need:
    9 mm thru for the front and a 142x12 for the rear is that correct? It looks like the epics are 142x12+ will my frame accept a regular 142x12 rear wheel?
    Thanks. Zach

QUOTE=padrefan1982;10342601]Yup-- there are kits to run the 9mm thru bolt that you have currently on other hubs. I'm in a similar situation (just picked up a Comp Carbon) and have been looking forward to replacing the wheelset at some point. At the very least Industry Nine, American Classic, Hope, and DT Swiss hubs have the option to run a 9mm thru; you may just have to buy the extra adaptor when you buy the hubs/wheelset. There may be others as well, but those are the ones I've seen listed online that I've been interested in. Look for something along the lines of "9mm Thru" and you should be good. With that said, I'd ask whoever you're buying from first before payment just to make sure. Hope that helps![/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If your budget allows, I suggest that you consider Chris King as well. I've replaced both hubs with CK on my Stumpjumper Comp and looking to replace the hubs on my Enduro Expert Evo. They're smooth, easy to service, durable and sounds great. There're 6-7 colors to choose from too if color matters to you.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach75 View Post
    So if I order a new wheel set I need:
    9 mm thru for the front and a 142x12 for the rear is that correct? It looks like the epics are 142x12+ will my frame accept a regular 142x12 rear wheel?
    Sounds right--but the Epics don't get 142+ hubs until the Expert Carbon--just looked at the specs online. From what I've read, ANY 142x12 hub will work in a Spec. frame, but will need to adjust the RD, if replacing a 142 + hub. 142x12+ hubs however, will only play nice in Specialized frames.
    Last edited by padrefan1982; 04-28-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: more info