mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Specialized frame warranty issue

Broke the chain stay on my 2011 Expert 29er. LBS and Spec are saying that the part is no longer available and offer to replace the entire frame. With a 2014 carbon FSR frame, complete with new brain and shock. Cool deal I say.

However, my current wheels (Stan's Arch) are too narrow (135 v 142mm) to fit on the new frame and I need to get new wheels. They are offering the Roval Controls for $295. They also want to charge me for a new bb bushing and $175 for labor.

So now my relatively inexpensive fix will cost me $550. Anyone else had similar experiences with something like this?

mtbr member
    The first time I broke my frame (chain stay, non drive side) I had to pay $150 to swap the parts over. One ride later found the break at the BB, once again had to pay $150 to swap the parts (I was not pleased but I did get an upgrade from alloy frame to carbon). Then I broke the carbon frame...was fortunate enough to acquire the same frame but I finally decided it was time to upgrade some stuff: Stans Crests, Shimano RD type 2, cassette (XT) chain and paid $800 which I felt was a pretty decent deal.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like a great deal to me.

KDS
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Labor being charged to you sounds wrong. The dealer should be paid to do the work, but by Specialized, not you. If you take any other type of vehicle for warranty repairs, it is not for parts only, the manufacturer pays the full repair cost.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree that the labor charge should be covered. You should be able to get an axle conversion kit for your Stan's wheels to convert the rear hub to 142mm. That said, even $550 for new wheels, frame, and shock isn't a bad deal at all. Definitely cheaper than some crash replacements.

The Original Suspect
    I'd jump on that deal if it was offered to me. I agree with above though, you shouldn't need to pay for labor. Sell your Stan's wheels to offset the cost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Or keep the Stan's and buy the 135/142 conversion kit and save them as a back up wheelset. 

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KDS View Post
    Labor being charged to you sounds wrong. The dealer should be paid to do the work, but by Specialized, not you. If you take any other type of vehicle for warranty repairs, it is not for parts only, the manufacturer pays the full repair cost.
    I felt the same way the first time and even more the second time but knew I did not have a leg to stand on if I refused to pay so I sucked it up and paid it.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The warranty does not cover shop labor. If it was a relatively new bike, I could see a goodwill situation, but it's 4 model years old.

They are offering an updated, MUCH BETTER complete frame. $550 is a deal for a better, brand new frame, and 142 thru-axle which ultimately is the new standard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KDS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    I agree that the labor charge should be covered. You should be able to get an axle conversion kit for your Stan's wheels to convert the rear hub to 142mm. That said, even $550 for new wheels, frame, and shock isn't a bad deal at all. Definitely cheaper than some crash replacements.
    Comparing to a car? really, how long is that warranty on the car compared to the bike frame and how much more did the car cost.

Might want to read your warranties a little more closely- NO bike manufacturers warranty covers labor or switching up to new parts if needed.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass