mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Specialized Frame Size Chart Changes

I was wondering why Specialized has changed some of the size charting on their bikes. I am 5'10 and im using a 2016 Medium size S-works Stumpjumper FSR 650B. In previous years like 2015 size chart, 5'10 is the limit for Medium. When Specialized released their new size chart, the height limit for Medium frame Stumpjumper FSR is now 5'9. Any explanation on the changes? Does the changes only apply for the new frames they are realsing now? I dont know what is my preferred size anymore. Need your help guys. Thanks!

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    You ride an S-Works, and are unsure what size you should have?

The reality is that some rider heights are on the fringe of sizing, i.e. 5"10 in your case could mean an M or L frame. Also taken to account would be other fit measures, such as torso, reach, inseam.

If you are opting for any new bike, especially the top-of-the-line S-Works, invest in a pre-purchase fitting. The chart is merely a guideline.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yes, early 2016, i was bike fitted and they recommended a Medium. But i just got confused when they released the new size chart which they lowered the height limit of Medium size stumpjumper to 5'9.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" and am in the same boat. That said, I wouldn't trade my medium 2017 SJ for a large. I can ride both, but the medium just feels right. I did test both sizes pretty extensively.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for the input COMTBR. Atleast I have sort of a peace of mind regarding the frame size for my height. Never tried using a Large frame and i have no complains so far with my Mediums anyway. 😊

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I just dont understand why Specialized changed some sizing for certain heights i.e. 5'10. They just made things more complicated for previous users.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Lol fitting is more complicated than just height. Proportions are more important. It's just a guideline. I've literally had Santa Cruz tell me at 5'9.3" with long legs and arms, that they advise me going large on a 5010. The size charts said 5'10". You think half an inch or so makes a difference more than proportions and preference?

mtbr member
    ^^ I'm 5'9.5" and can ride both a Large and a Medium pretty comfortably, depending on the bike. 5'9"-5'10" is pretty much right between sizes on most bikes. Depends on the bike. I usually default to medium. For me, it seems easier to lengthen out a medium than shorten a large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    5' 9 1/2" and prefer a large SJ FSR with a short stem. I buy my nephew and niece bikes every few years. My nephew is 5' 11" and much prefers the medium SJ FSR. We both ride 2014 Evo's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah I agree they are good guidelines. if only it was that easy to just go by height!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by COMTBR View Post
    ^^ I'm 5'9.5" and can ride both a Large and a Medium pretty comfortably, depending on the bike. 5'9"-5'10" is pretty much right between sizes on most bikes. Depends on the bike. I usually default to medium. For me, it seems easier to lengthen out a medium than shorten a large.
    totally depends on the bike and preferences. I have a 5010 in large and a medium trance. One is more stable backcountry trail bike, the other is to pop off stuff and more "fun" riding.