Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Marin rider
    Reputation: IPADrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    78

    Specialized FRAME FINISH (paint) remedies and warranty - What I've learned

    Adding an all purpose thread pertaining to Specialized frame finish (paint) damage issues.

    I've recently pursued some corrosion issues on my 2010 Stumpjumper with my LBS where I bought the bike and am sharing with the community some information that I've learned from the process.

    1. Their bikes frame's finish (i.e. paint, clear coats, etc.) warranty only extend for one year after purchase. This is different from the lifetime warranty we all hear about covering the frame when we buy our bikes. The lifetime warranty covers structural issues of the frame.
    2. Repairing damage incurred to their bikes' finish through use or through possible manufacturing shortcomings on your own (i.e. having the frame re-painted or painting the frame yourself) aside from utilizing a Specialized approved re-finishing shop will void the frames lifetime structural warranty.

  2. #2
    Trail Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,418
    1 & 2 are of absolutely no suprise at all, and I'd expect it from any bike manufacturer.




    Was this information suprising to you?

  3. #3
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,204
    Sounds reasonable.

  4. #4
    Marin rider
    Reputation: IPADrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    1 & 2 are of absolutely no surprise at all, and I'd expect it from any bike manufacturer.

    Was this information surprising to you?
    Point #1 was a surprise to me especially since one "hears" about the lifetime warranty on Specialized bike frames at their LBS when shopping for a bike with no mention of the finishes warranty.

    In my case, I'm also very disappointed in the warranties limitation as at the two year mark of my current frame's age, an unusual form of surface corrosion appeared and it seems to be spreading. Paint Finish Issues - 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite Since this is my 3rd Specialized mountain bike and only one to corrode when the others did not with similar use, I'm not feeling to stoked about the way my ride makes me feel.

    Are you affiliated with Specialized?

  5. #5
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,204
    Which products specifically have you been using to wash the bike?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dan4jeepin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    254
    Have you actually tired to get it warrantied thru your LBS? I know my LBS got a customers bike warrantied with specialized because the red was turning more pink even though it was 2 years old. I do think they had to pull some strings to make it happen but it's worth trying.

  7. #7
    Marin rider
    Reputation: IPADrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Which products specifically have you been using to wash the bike?
    I ride 2-3 times a week and wash the frame with Pedros bike washing solution gently (no brushes) followed by a gentle rinse maybe once a week or every other week.

  8. #8
    Marin rider
    Reputation: IPADrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    Have you actually tired to get it warrantied thru your LBS? I know my LBS got a customers bike warrantied with specialized because the red was turning more pink even though it was 2 years old. I do think they had to pull some strings to make it happen but it's worth trying.
    My LBS is aware of the situation. Details of that discussion are less the point of this thread. My purpose here is to bring to light that perhaps one of Specialized's finishes may have a manufacturing issue and to share with others what I've learned about Specialized's frames finish warranty.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    354
    That sucks the finish went like that, but it does state pretty clearly in their warranty that the paint / finish is only one year:

    http://service.specialized.com/colla...arranty_rB.pdf

    Specialized warrants to the original owner for the lifetime of the original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that the bicycle frame or frameset when new is free of defective materials and workmanship. The lifetime Limited Warranty is conditioned upon the bicycle being operated under normal conditions and use, and properly maintained. This Limited Warranty does not apply to paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle/ frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seat post, handlebar and stem, or any suspension related parts or components. Paint/finish, components attached to the bicycle/frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seat post, handlebar and stem, or any suspension related parts or components are covered under the limited one (1) year warranty.

  10. #10
    Marin rider
    Reputation: IPADrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    78
    Point well made.

    Still, a company that values especially repeat customers of their products can choose to remedy a situation especially if the company believes there is likely a short coming in their manufacturing.

    Are you affiliated with Specialized?

    Quote Originally Posted by mbco1975 View Post
    That sucks the finish went like that, but it does state pretty clearly in their warranty that the paint / finish is only one year:

    http://service.specialized.com/colla...arranty_rB.pdf

    Specialized warrants to the original owner for the lifetime of the original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that the bicycle frame or frameset when new is free of defective materials and workmanship. The lifetime Limited Warranty is conditioned upon the bicycle being operated under normal conditions and use, and properly maintained. This Limited Warranty does not apply to paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle/ frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seat post, handlebar and stem, or any suspension related parts or components. Paint/finish, components attached to the bicycle/frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seat post, handlebar and stem, or any suspension related parts or components are covered under the limited one (1) year warranty.

Similar Threads

  1. Paint Finish Issues - 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    By IPADrinker in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 01:24 PM
  3. Cannondale Warranty (on paint finish issues)
    By dexmax in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM
  4. Specialized Frame Warranty rocks.
    By Eiago in forum Specialized
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 04:03 PM
  5. Specialized warranty in cracked frame
    By bikensand in forum Specialized
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 06:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •