mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Specialized Footwear

Looking to replace my 05 Comps (non-carbon, has ratchet). Looking at the new Carbon Pro's and the S-Works Boa. Anybody have any feedback on either of these? How about the carbon soles? Durability? My comps have been pretty durable.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    I don't have exp. with either, but my lower end speshy shoes held up for 4 yrs. but are about shot now. I would go into a shop that sells them nearby and ask about them. The guys at shops put tons of miles on stuff plus get feedback from customers, if that's any help.
    Busy monster eats dark holes in the spirit world
    Where wild things have to go
    To disappear
    Forever... - B.C.

mtbr member
    I have the BG Comp and it would be a cold day in hell before I switched to anything else. I must have tried on 5 or 6 different shoes (Shimano, Sidi, etc.) and nothing came close to the immediate comfort of the BG Comp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I had some low-end Specialized MTB shoes and they were fine. I got the top of the line carbon BOA road shoes and they ruined me for 6 weeks until I finally gave up. They did not have any arch support, they have the 1.5mm varus wedge (bad for me!) and the BOA system means that you cannot adjust the amount of pressure -- ie, cant have the front loose and keep it tight near the ankle. I switched (back to SIDI). I gave my new Spec. MTB shoes to my nephew. Lots of ppl love those shoes though...

I still have the BOA carbon road shoes that I need to get rid of (size 43 if anybody is looking).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    were those the original boas? on the new boas the the cable has been moved further away from a toe and a velcro strap put in. seems like this might have solved half your problem?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like I said, I have the comps currently with the two velcro staps and the ratchet and they are fine. However I want to move up to a higher performance shoe. I can see what you are saying about the BOA model. The new one does have the velcro. I have very high arches and even had to swith out the top ratchet strap on my comps to get them to shut. I like the looks of the new carbon pro which looks like an upgraded comp. I appreciate the feedback! Keep it coming.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    These were the 2006 models with the BOA laces on top. I don't think the BOA system was the main problem; the lack of arch support and the valgus cant were bigger issues... They were great for the first 2 hours of a ride...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i'm not trying to convince to stick with uncomfortable shoes, but specialized do offer three different insoles with arch support ranging from none to high. if you've still got a pair of the shoes perhaps different insoles would help?
    cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yep, tried all 3 of the spec. plus several others. Since I have gone back to SIDI, I also have had custom insole made. The Spec. insoles in the SIDIs work pretty well for me... When my feet are completely healed, I may try the spec. again...

The Other Dude
    I got your PM the other day, sorry for the late response.

I had the 05 or 06 comp mtn shoes with the ratchet, they worked out great for me, but like you, i wanted to get a higher end shoe, i actually started getting too much flex out of them, and i found out that some how i messed up the sole on my comps, so that gave me all the more reason to buy new shoes!

I went with the 07 Carbon Pro Mountians with the ratchets. I too have very high arches. I used to work for a shoe store that "fit" athletes for the training shoes, i have fit a bunch of the pittsburgh penquins, a good bit of the Steelers, and a too many marathon runners, and high school and college athletes to list, so i know a thing or two about the fit of shoes. A funny story on the side note is that, everytime a Pro athlete came in, they paid with cash, Plexico Buress (however you spell that!) came in once, he was the only pro athlete that ever came in and paid with a credit card for two pairs of shoes...........it got declined!

But thats neither here nor there, the specialized carbon pros fit great for me, the arches on them feel great for my mtn use. I havent played around with the inserts and shims yet, but the dealer is going to do a "fit" on me soon for my road bike, and he will be playing with shims and stuff to get all my body mechanics correct, because the fit for walking in a shoe, and the fit for cycling in a shoe a totally different. If he feels i need any shims, i will probably by two sets of them, one for my pro carbon road shoes, and the other for my pro carbon mountian shoes. The shoes are great, super stiff and light, great traction when you need to get off the bike ( i did a MUDDY cyclocross race with them ) I would recommend them!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net