mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Specialized Epic hose wear from bracket on shock pivot

Hi Guys,

I had the pivots done on my Epic a 3-4 weeks ago, under warranty (6 months old).

Was cleaning it tonight, and found a bracket/shield part on the lower shock pivot has been wearing through the brain pipe.

I haven't really noticed this bracket/shield part before, it is quite hidden when looking from above. Also it is not in the manual drawings. Where should this part be?

It is stuck in place and will not move, so must have been tighten up this way.
    I guess the bike shop screwed up?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i think the bracket should be turned so it is over the "brain pipe".looks like faulty assembly or it has moved somehow.

mtbr member
    The shop have re-assembled it wrongly.

The guide should look like in the picture below. You'll need to undo the allen bolt and move it into the correct position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Epic hose wear from bracket on shock pivot-2012_epic_kashima_shock.jpg  

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    The shop have re-assembled it wrongly.

The guide should look like in the picture below. You'll need to undo the allen bolt and move it into the correct position.
    The issue is most likely because the LBS has assembled the pipe holder/protector on the wrong side of the O-ring washer. This allows the shield to move when it should remain in place. Hard to explain without disassembling, but when you do you will see what I mean.

mtbr member
    Altering the Epic's mini brain hose design, so that the hose runs underneath the seatstay, makes it harder to fit the shock than with the older style brain shocks that had the brain hose along the top of the seatstay.

You really need three hands to fit one of the newer brain shocks: one to hold the shock, one to hold the rear swingarm in position so it doesn't drop down and catch on the brain hose and then one to tighten the allen key. Chances are the mechanic was in a hurry and just settled on the first position that would fasten into place, even though the metal guide wasn't aligned properly.

It's easy enough to fix anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The LBS should have the entire hose assembly replaced. That wear looks like a potential leak or other failure IMHO.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Altering the Epic's mini brain hose design, so that the hose runs underneath the seatstay, makes it harder to fit the shock than with the older style brain shocks that had the brain hose along the top of the seatstay.

You really need three hands to fit one of the newer brain shocks: one to hold the shock, one to hold the rear swingarm in position so it doesn't drop down and catch on the brain hose and then one to tighten the allen key. Chances are the mechanic was in a hurry and just settled on the first position that would fasten into place, even though the metal guide wasn't aligned properly.

It's easy enough to fix anyway.
    For the 3rd hand, just use a strap thru the seat rails and the swingarm to hold the swingarm up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    The issue is most likely because the LBS has assembled the pipe holder/protector on the wrong side of the O-ring washer. This allows the shield to move when it should remain in place. Hard to explain without disassembling, but when you do you will see what I mean.
    thanks for the info,

took it back to the shop and they called Specialized UK, they say it has happened before, shop adjusted it back to the proper position,

took it on a 15 minute ride and it rotated back again, now I have left it in that position,

Specialized UK told LBS they have seen hose wear before, but the shock is still usable,