mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Specialized Epic floating rear brake 142+

I think a floating rear brake would help my 2011 Epic S Works 29er. What do you think? My Question is do they make one that would fit the 142+ rear end and for the Specialized Epic?

I think it would be a great idea to incorporate for the 2014 S Works year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im not aware of any floating caliper brake systems for mountain bikes. However, I know Hope has floating rotors for their brake systems. I ran Hopes X2 with floating rotors, however I ended up switching back to a fixed rotor due to rotor failure. I didn't notice a difference in performance with the floating rotor vs the fixed rotor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    floating brake rotor?
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    floating brake rotor?

Floating Rotors - Hope Floating Rotor Product Details.

mtbr member
    I think he is looking for something like kona's flotaing brake they did a few years ago. Suposed to help with brake jack and brake induced suspension stiffening.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yea Terrible has it right...help with brake jack, induced suspension stiffening while applying the rear brake.This happens on occasion "brake jack" with the Specialized Epic, going into some bumby turns and descending down some bumpy hills, Really a floating rear brake is to allow unobstruckted rear shock travel while applying the rear brake, better tire ground contact by letting the full suspension work for you 100% of the time. If you look up floating rear mountain bike brakes, you will find some out their. Yes different system, not the same as a floating rotor.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    You shouldn't need a floating brake with horst link suspension. I've had horst link bikes from several brands,never had a brake jack problem.

mtbr member
    You shouldn't need a floating brake with horst link suspension. I've had horst link bikes from several brands,never had a brake jack problem.
    Different strokes for different folks.

To be honest I don't think you'll find anything like that for the epic. I've seen it on DH bikes but the epic is far from that.

if it's that big of an issue try some suspension tuning. Or even a tire with a larger volume, less pressure and more straight braking edges to dig more while braking.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Had never felt brake jake before with a 26er, Epic '08, Epic '10, now this past summer being on a Epic '11 29er, wonder if its more pronounced with a 29er, not much, but there, really with a carbon frame, not wanting to add weight, but if a floating rear brake can help, I would like to at least try one out. Talking with a brand name company now, they don't currently make one for the 29er S Works Epic, but said they might be able to, with some rear hub mods, just waiting to here back from them, I said I could ship the rear wheel and frame out this winter to them, if they had an interest in doing so