Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2biker
    Feb 2008

SPECIALIZED ENDURO warranty design flaw

a colleague has this problem, the brake cable rubs on the swingarm ENDURO SL and did this, Specialized Spain says it does not fall under warranty is wear and tear.
    I think it's a design flaw of the passage of cable through the area, all suffer enduro, but some pusimo protective sheath on both sides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPECIALIZED ENDURO warranty design flaw-img_5080.jpg  

SPECIALIZED ENDURO warranty design flaw-img_5098.jpg  

SPECIALIZED ENDURO warranty design flaw-img_5100.jpg  

SPECIALIZED ENDURO warranty design flaw-img_5102.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    In that second pic, the line seems to almost have cut thru the aluminum...DAMN.

mtbr member
    thats crazy, looks quite deep : (

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can not believe the owner did not see after the first ride that it could rub there and he needed to alighn the line differently , ----I added some clear vinel materal on mine and have seen many come through my shop that all had vinel on them in that area.

If you get the tie straps alighned and tightened up correctly you do not even need the vinel materal on it.

Also if you tie strap your lower cabels together with 2 1/2" distance from the BB this will all help to keep it alighned and off the chainstay.---( plus help you suspension move and not bind the cables )

I have many big gashes in both sides on my lower chain stays where I drug acrost large rocks and have dam neer drug through and I really thought I should have broken one of those arms by now ,

I can set up and weld that without hurting the heat treating in that little area , ---------so he should be able to find somebody to repair that for him if he feels the needs to .

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    This is normal on pretty much any bike. You can use tape to prevent it, but it should just be cosmetic - the light looks funny on the second pic, I really doubt a cable can cut through aluminum. It will also take off a very large section of paint on the inside of the chainstay where the brake cable runs.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Get a plastic, stick on cable guide. Stick it their, and route the cable through. Tape or something soft like it will just get worn through as well. Then, go ride.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPhisher
    This is normal on pretty much any bike. You can use tape to prevent it, but it should just be cosmetic - the light looks funny on the second pic, I really doubt a cable can cut through aluminum. It will also take off a very large section of paint on the inside of the chainstay where the brake cable runs.
    Oh yes plastic and rubber can cut right through steel , -----look at differention yoaks or the hub on transnission converters and or shafts ,

Chafe damadge is a real threat in Aviation, Automotive, Bikes ----------------that is why I have a hard time in believing the owner did not check his ride more carefully .

Dental Floss will cut right through the frame on any bike

mtbr member
    you would think you would have gotten worse wear on the actual cable itself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyxcom
    The cable really does not wear much , but it will dam sure cut right through soft aluminum------You just gotta really know and watch all the little stuff on your bike like this .

This is nothing Specialized did -------the finnal set up and use is on the consumer.

Operator error can sure get you if your not watching

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    Operator error can sure get you if your not watching
    Agreed. The first time out on my new Enduro I was hearing a funny noise. Kept looking for it, but of course, had to be riding to try to hear where it was coming from. It was the rear derailleur cable on the underneath side of the frame occasionally touching my rear tire. It wore a nice hole in the protective covering of the cable.

Actually, the cables underneath the bottom bracket on the 2010 Enduros are tough to get set up right.

Premium Member
    This will happen on ANY bike...hence many people using clear vinyl stickers on wear points.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That clear vinyl is some good stuff, there are places in aircraft that we have to use it to keep chafing undercontroll and that stuff wears forever .

It just kills me that guys will let their car, motorcycle or bicycle just get chaft all to hell and not care

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Warranty LOL !

mtbr member
    Wow. That has to be one of the deepest groves, caused by cable rub, I have ever seen!
    Somebody needs to maintain their bike a little better

mtbr member
    How old is that bike? I think something like that doesn't happen in a couple of rides.
    I have to agree, somebody need to maintain their bike a LOT better. A couple of bucks worth of vinyl stickers could have saved the frame.
    Not a Specialized design flaw, and not a warranty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If I were specialized I would not warranty this. Blame is on the user in this case, should have checked it/maintained/payed attention more carefully.

But thats also pretty sh1tty cable routing if thats even possible.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyxcom
    Rubber covered battery cables cut notches in 1/4" steel Truck frames..I see it all the time..
    Also saw a rubber air hose rub a hole in a differential housing on a Truck with very little wear on the hose.
    Its abrasion resistance..Rubber and plastic=High. Aluminum and Steel-Low(most)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi
    Sorry for brign up an old thread,
    I also have this problem with my 2009 enduro, though not as bad as yours lookign at pic 2? just how deep is the rub, and also have you contacted specilzed about it? wonderign if the structural integrity of the frame is comprimised with this rub??
    cheers

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    3M copter tape is your friend.

I am SPECIALIZED
    Aug 2007
    Yep 3M! I use it on all contact points on my carbon enduro.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Had this problem on a 2009 Enduro too...only the cable made a really bad creaking noise when riding the bike. It was rubbing against the metal. Found the issue, but the cable rubbed off the paint.

I am SPECIALIZED
    Aug 2007
    sorry it's not 3M, I use the ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade): 1 in. x 10 yds. (Transparent), get it at amazon for cheep. This stuff will conform to any part on your bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Wow that cable must have been rubbing for awhile to get that deep into the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    anywhere the frame and cables come into contact i put 3M protective film. hell the 2011 enduro comes with the stuff in the high contact areas from Specialized. was impressed when i saw that. one thing i will say is that the 2011 and 2012 enduro's have some of the worst cable routing and require a little re-routing

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If this was a safety issue - some government departement would get involved and make publicity around election time and make something happen. It IS a design problem - BUYER BEWARE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast