Dirt

Specialized Enduro SL Comp FSR

is the 2007 model good and strong enough for fr/dh race?
    The trails are calling...
    http://www.pinkbike.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    its not a free ride or downhill bike, its a strong bike and im sure it can take it but if your doing dedicated free ride stuff, why do it on an all mountain rig like an enduro? by the way im seriously thinking about the sl since i discovered a downhill course where i live, im enjoying it with my epic right now but id like sometihng stronger to enjoy the bigger jumps

Wait, what!?
    DF, if you have an Epic for the trails, why not get a real DH rig?

Can someone shed some light on how well air shocks, in general (meaning not just the Spech suspension), hold up under frequent downhill activity?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i use my epic for everything, mainly long distance riding on roads and offroads, very hilly terrain, the downhills i normally encounter are usually fast rocky affairs but my wheels dont leave the ground, its just that ive been hanging with a few free riders lately that showed me a great downhill run that i didnt know of before, i can take my epic on it but i have to go around the bigger jumps, the epic is a tough little bike but it has its limits, i would love an enduro sl for this type of thing though!!!!

Wil109
    http://www.leelikesbikes.com/ has some good Q & A relating to what type of bike/suspension for trails etc. It's a bit of fiddle trying to find the info, just use the search facility.

Wil
    [SIZE=1]I love my bike and my bike loves me[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i could probably get away with it on a stumpjumper but as one of my friends pointed out to me to me , the SJ is also a cross country bike, yes it can handle most trails but it only has 20 mm more than my epic, an enduro sl is a dedicated all mountain rig and would compliment my epic much better, and i have to agree

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i do DH on my 08 enduro sl and have no complaints or problems at all.

there are afew things you can do to the suspension if you needed to ( just like you would for any bike )

i would not do any crazy 20' hucks down to the flat with it ------i would use my CRF 450 for that .

i really like the air shocks in general ,
    if their set up correctly and your not getting to crazy and slamming flats they work just fine .

Now with More Wood
    Define "race DH"? Category, course type, etc? I have that bike exactly (Comp SL 07), and I've started racing mine last year, and I'm planning to do more in 08. You'll need to upgrade the rims and tyres (stock on that bike will NOT put up with that kind of treatment for very long), and run a chain guide/bash, but other than that it should do fine - pretty much within the limits that kelstr defined though, nothing too huge....
    You might even have an edge on a flowy twisty track where the light weight, pedal response, and attacking rider position will help - but of course you will give all that back the minute you hit a big rockgarden (due to lack of suspension travel and the general geometry).

For FR its another story. I enjoy jumping and dropping on mine, but I can think of plenty of bikes that are better suited to freeriding if that is your main gig. Mainly the riding position (slightly too much forward for FR), and the fact that it will never be as solid as a many of the heavier FR bikes.

All in all, if (like me) you have to pedal up the hill for most of your riding, but still want the one bike for some local DH racing and light FR duty, then the SL will be a very very nice compromise...
    Last edited by Iceman2058; 01-31-2008 at 02:46 PM.