Specialized Rida

Specialized Dumps Supergo

It seems that specailized dump supergo due to some disagreements betweens specialized vision and business model and supergo's visions and business model.

So if Supergo sucked as it is. Its going to be even worse now that they don't have any specialized bikes. Basically that's the only reason I went into that store to begin with. Everything else I can either get it through pricematching at the other local bike shop or online.

I think it's basically going to be just like its brother Performance bike shop.

Just thought I'd share that with you Specialized riders.

Skate

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skate
    It seems that specailized dump supergo due to some disagreements betweens specialized vision and business model and supergo's visions and business model.

So if Supergo sucked as it is. Its going to be even worse now that they don't have any specialized bikes. Basically that's the only reason I went into that store to begin with. Everything else I can either get it through pricematching at the other local bike shop or online.

Skate
    Damn, that sucks. They had pretty good prices and a nice, giant selection, too. Hope I can find an '06 SJ 120 Pro with the Brain somewhere to test ride...

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by TXNavy
    Damn, that sucks. They had pretty good prices and a nice, giant selection, too. Hope I can find an '06 SJ 120 Pro with the Brain somewhere to test ride...

didn't think about that, but if supergo was the only specialized dealer around then that sucks that they won't stock anymore specialized. Especially the 06 models.

Basically it looks that Supergo will sell whatever inventory they have of Specialized at their store now and that will be the end of Specialized items for them.

Hopefully you guys will have access to other specialized dealers like I do, since I looking forward to seeing the new stuff that's about to come out.

mtbr member
    didn't think about that, but if supergo was the only specialized dealer around then that sucks that they won't stock anymore specialized. Especially the 06 models.

Basically it looks that Supergo will sell whatever inventory they have of Specialized at their store now and that will be the end of Specialized items for them.

Hopefully you guys will have access to other specialized dealers like I do, since I looking forward to seeing the new stuff that's about to come out.
    There's other Specialized dealers around, and I have a great little LBS down the street, but that's the problem...they're little. If I'm going to spend $3000 on something, its really convenient to have a place like Supergo within driving distance up in Mountain View so I could go see all the different iterations of each bike. They do good business here, but they pretty much don't stock much above the $2500 mark anymore because they just can't move it in a timely manner.

I'm sure the LBS could arrange something for me to see one, but I'd hate to ask them to do something like that for something I may or may not buy after a test ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well I knew they stocked them but had no idea they actually sold them, seeing as I went into my local Supergo three times when I was getting ready to buy my new stumpie and was never able to get anything close to help in actually purchasing one.

Luckily there is another shop in town that actually helped me and took time to answer questions when I went in there. Sold it to me at Supergo's price without me asking to either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Skate

Not sure who you recieved your information from but it is not accurate. To set the record straight SuperGo (Performance) droped Specialized, not the other way around. The reasons that were shared with me were..... SuperGo was again not going to be allowed to carry the S-Works bikes, Specialized allowed any and all of their dealers to make deals (drop the price) on their bikes but would threaten SuperGo if they did the same. Also in order to have Specialized in the store if any changes were to be made to the products that were going to be sold in in the store any/all changes had to be OKed by Specialized. With the way Performance is and their business model this just didn't work, and that is the reason that SuperGo is no longer a Specialized dealer. This is also the reason why SuperGo AND Performance no longer carry Giant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Supergo never carried Specialized in the Seattle store anyway, so no big loss here. I gotta say I always shop for tires and tubes at Supergo, they just seem to have the best price.

oly
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oly

Well considering that I have first hand knowledge of the decision, and I have delt with many of the issues as far as supply and merchandising it was not a surprise that Specialized was droped. Also think about this why would 2 big names in the cycling industry drop the same company at the same time. Especialy when SuperGo has brought Specialized out of bankruptcy 3 TIMES. If it wasn't for SuperGo then Specialized would not exist, at least as we know it. This is practicly the same thing that went on with Cannondale except it is with Specialized and Giant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustedframe
    Well considering that I have first hand knowledge of the decision, and I have delt with many of the issues as far as supply and merchandising it was not a surprise that Specialized was droped. Also think about this why would 2 big names in the cycling industry drop the same company at the same time. Especialy when SuperGo has brought Specialized out of bankruptcy 3 TIMES. If it wasn't for SuperGo then Specialized would not exist, at least as we know it. This is practicly the same thing that went on with Cannondale except it is with Specialized and Giant.

SuperGo is replacing Specialized with Schwinn/GT... For the consumer this is unfortunate in my opinion as the Specialized product line is way more advanced than anything GT is offering currently. It will take years for GT to come up to speed...

grumpy northerner
    Mar 2004
    Also think about this why would 2 big names in the cycling industry drop the same company at the same time.
    Performance/SuperGo is one - who is the other?

You might better ask, 'why would two big bicycle manufacturers both drop the same company at teh same time?', since Giant and Specialized actually are two seperate companies.

Specialized Rida
    Well I got this information from peopel who knew some people, who knew some other people, who robbed some people. Just kindding

I find it hard to believe that supergo was the one who dumped Specialized. I am not saying your not correct, but the fact that most of the biking community (myself included)and mtbr hates supergo/ performance I would think that getting rid of Specialized and Giant would be a big mistake.

Meaning since, you can basically get the same things online as Supergo/ Performance, but not the Specialized bikes. Another thing is that if Supergo has a special then all you have to do is go to one of the online retailers and pricematch and you bascically get the same deal, but with better costomer service. Another thing that you can't get from Supergo is good customer support over the phone or when placing an order so there is another thing that would make getting rid of specialied and giant a big mistake.

Last Replacing them with schwinn and Gt. Common now ......

How is a company going to stay competative without a decent bike brand. As of right now in my opinion. I think that specialized has some of the most advanced bikes out there. Everyone has seen them in the magazines, USA today, Popular Science and things of that nature

So basically if Superblow/ and Performance dumped specialized and Giant then all I have to say is Big Mistake......

Again these are my opinions based on first hand experiance,several people I know and things I have heard.

We'll just see who is going to be the hurting in 06 Specialized/ Giant or Supergo/Performance.

I foresee Supergo/Performance comming up with all kinds of sales after sales just to compensate for thier loss.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wils
    Performance/SuperGo is one - who is the other?

You might better ask, 'why would two big bicycle manufacturers both drop the same company at teh same time?', since Giant and Specialized actually are two seperate companies.
    Performance dropped Giant and SuperGo dropped Specialized. Not the other way 'round. In both cases the CEO of Performance/SuperGo basically stated that the respective companies were putting restrictions on them that they were not willing to accomodate. In other words, it sounds like it was a big pissing contest... Specialized is telling them that they can only carry certain models and that Specialized has to approve the brands carried in the SuperGO stores.. SuperGo basically said drop dead.

In the end.. that they could not come up with an agreement that worked out for both parties seems to me to be a huge mistake on both the part of Specialized and Performance/SuperGo.

I've purchased two bikes at SuperGo.. They were both Specialized (00 StumpJumper Pro FSR/XC and an 03 Enduro Pro). After the crapper service at SuperBlow even though I have probably spent upwards of $10,000 in their stores over the last four years; I bought a Santa Cruz Blur from Speedgoat.com and every component online... I ended up spending about $4,500 building up my new ride. Money I would have otherwise spent building an Intense 5.5 EVP from SuperBlow if their service didn't suck.

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    Performance dropped Giant (or Giant drpoped Performance)? Wow. I guess my local Performance will only be stocking their assortment of 240823 different PowerBars and Camelbacks now. What the hell kind of bikes ARE they actually going to sell?!

I went in there at the beginning of the season expecting to see Kona still sold but alas, no more Kona. Supposedly "Kona bikes are crappy spec'd and these Giants that we want to sell you are so much better for the money.....they're the biggest manufacturer around ya know, made in China too!"

Specialized is only stocked in a couple of stores here in the Baltimore area, and not the full line which annoys me. Basically they only carry the hardtails and all their full sussers for sale are Cracknfails. Er, Cannondales. Like I really want a Cannondale!! It's almost as bad as riding a Trek, the most boring bike manufacturer in existance. Pah!! Actually they carry Giant full sussers too.

I smell a conspiracy!!!
    Last edited by Hot Butter Topping; 08-06-2005 at 12:43 AM.
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Let's not forget the fact also that Supergo is BIG into mail order and Specialized simply refuses to let anybody mail order their bikes from retailers. I think this has been an ongoing point of contention with Supergo and finally came to a head.

huffin' n' puffin'
    Well, I went to the SuperGo in Santa Monica today and they had some '06 Hardrock's and I think there were some '06 Rockhopper's too. There may have been a couple '06 full suspension models but I wasn't really paying much attention.

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by momotaro
    Well, I went to the SuperGo in Santa Monica today and they had some '06 Hardrock's and I think there were some '06 Rockhopper's too. There may have been a couple '06 full suspension models but I wasn't really paying much attention.

Earlier around the beginning of the summer Specialized offered early purchases of some of the 06 models. Particulary on some of the Hardrocks, and kids bikes, among a few others. Then a month after that they started showing some of them on thier website which is what you see now when you look at some of the 06 models.

My guess is that they had purchased them before this whole situation happened between companies.

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    Spesh does seem pretty militant about certain shop practices. Word from someone I ride with is that they're no longer offering shop employees the ability to purchase at cost for themselves. That is, until they go to some sort of Specialized Reseller Camp and get Specialized Certified or some such. Pretty hokey but I guess they're just following in the footsteps of pricey car manufacturers (VW, Subaru, Audi, BMW, Benz, etc).

Still, seems all a bit excessive.
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]