Let's fly!

Specialized committment to customer svc and Epic Expert vs Epic S-Works frame weight

My 2011 Epic Expert 29er started creaking. I tried everything to get rid of the creaking. Since I felt like any competent mechanically inclined person should be able to diagnose a creak, I was reluctant to take it to a bike shop. But after many efforts and continued creaking, I couldn't eliminate it.

Finally took it to LBS - Mojo Wheels in Denver, CO. They tried everything I tried, plus replacing pivot hardware. Still creaking.

Mojo's called Specialized who recommended replacing the BB bearings. That reduced the squeak/creak significantly, particularly at light pedal efforts, but not eliminated, particularly when pedaling hard. That clearly showed the issue was in the BB. But it wasn't the bearings.

Specialized said they would replace the frame. Told me they were in between model years, so it would take 5-6 weeks. But they let me keep riding the bike, so it wasn't a big hardship.

At the 6 week mark, they said 3-4 more weeks. Bummer. Even bigger bummer when that came and went and still no frame.

When the LBS finally called a few weeks later to say "frame is here", it was an S-Works. Wowsa! The waiting was worth it! Brand new S-Works with a brand new push-to-set-sag Fox shock.

Being a weight weenie racer, I asked my LBS to weigh both frames. The 2013 Epic S-Works is 320 grams lighter than the 2011 Epic Expert. Three quarters of a pound! Pretty cool.

And it rides GREAT!!! No discernible flex, tracks straight, goes where I think about without really having to steer, high speed bombing downhill, low speed hammering and switchbacks, everything!

Thank you, Specialized!!

And thank you to Mojo Wheels in Denver, Colorado. Especially Mike, the Service Manager.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

mtbr member
    Pics please! It`s a shame having to tell you to post some!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did you buy your '11 Epic new from the dealer?

This is the only reason I'm stuck between buying new or used. I've found some amazing deals on a pre-owned Epic but I keep hearing about how great Specialized it when it comes to warranty issues. But they only cover original owners.

mtbr member

Specialized committment to customer svc and Epic Expert vs Epic S-Works frame w

Go with an "original" one. As soon as you must rely on their warranty you will be happy about that.

Let's fly!
    Specialized committment to customer svc and Epic Expert vs Epic S-Works frame weight-2012-12-02-new-s-works-frame-105_6493.jpgSpecialized committment to customer svc and Epic Expert vs Epic S-Works frame weight-jim-mason-specialized-epic-industry-9-wheels-105_6463-cropped.jpgSpecialized committment to customer svc and Epic Expert vs Epic S-Works frame weight-small-2010-10-spec-epic-down-rocks-mt-falconsam_0400.jpg
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

Let's fly!
    Just FYI - I have two trim levels - All Mountain which includes a dropper post, Ergon grips, standard EggBeaters, and Stans Arch wheels with Maxxis Ardent tires. For my Race Day set-up, I swap to a KCNC post, 4Ti Eggbeaters, lighter lock-on grips, and Arch wheels with Crossmark tires. Only takes a few minutes and drops a few pounds. For the eagle-eyes out there, that is an FSA afterburner 3x crank with SRM. Probably costs me 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound, but I use the full range of gears and highly value the power meter.

mtbr member
    That is AMAZING!!! Specialized really is #1 in the business.

mtbr member
    That`s really a nice frame swap. Wow.

mtbr member
    Take that Specialized bashers. Good job, congratulations for the new frame.