mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Specialized Carbon Roval SL Freehub Noise

I had bought a used Carbon Roval SL 29er wheelset on eBay, everthing nice and true: however, the free hub is the loudest one I've ever heard. Is this normal, engages fine, and underload, I have taken free hubs apart before, just not a specialized 142+ with the 12mm thru axle, This will be the last ride tonight, then I will take it apart, for those who have done this, any problems I might run into...Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

My roval hub is loud too! (142+)

Hub has been loud since day 1 (new). No problems, running great...but everyone knows when I'm coasting!

mtbr member
    They are all loud. You just want a light coat of grease, more will make it quiet but could cause slippage. Once your done put it back on the bike pedal it in the stand, then stop if the pedals still turnused too much grease.

Former Bike Wrench
    They are DT 240 internals...follow their service instructions on the star ratchet system. If your used to Shimano (or Formula) hubs, then yes DT's are louder.

http://www.dtswiss.com/getdoc/1219c0...Datasheet.aspx

mtbr member
    I occasionally ride with someone that has the same wheels. Yes, they are quite loud!
    JA

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    They ARE loud... and I love them. I didn't like it at first but you get used to it... then you will enjoy it. Its a very distinct sounds. Its the DTs 32 star ratchet thats causing the noise. Just remeber, the faster you go the sweeter it sounds.

mtbr member
    Yep, they are louder than "normally", but thatīs the case with DT internals. Just enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What type of grease do they recomend? have problems linking to site.

mtbr member
    Yes,quite noisy hubs but servicing them is a breeze.
    I use DT Swiss specific hub grease but just because I want to be fancy,any light grease would work. After a good clean and some fresh grease they stay more quiet,but not for long...

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaldown View Post
    What type of grease do they recomend? have problems linking to site.
    DT sells specific grease for their Star Ratchets...but I've found any lightweight (not tacky) grease will work just fine. I used Slick Honey (Slickoleum) on my Star Ratchet hubs in the past with good results.

<100%
    I have used a generous amount of Phil Wood grease on Roval star ratchet hubs with no problems (not ones under warranty though...) Much quieter and no slipping issues. I have thought about using Slick Honey but wondered how long it would last.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    I have used a generous amount of Phil Wood grease on Roval star ratchet hubs with no problems (not ones under warranty though...) Much quieter and no slipping issues. I have thought about using Slick Honey but wondered how long it would last.
    Given how weak the springs are against the Star Ratchets...I always chose something lighter than say Phil Wood. Slick Honey lasted fine, it is very resistant to wash out, and since it takes all of 5 minutes to service the Star Ratchet it's not a big deal even if it doesn't last as long.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    The DT grease comes in a small tub, and is quite inexpensive. Check here

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks....for the input and links

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I use Dumonde liquid grease on mine (the blue stuff). Works great. I also switched to the to the old-style 16t (18?) star ratchets because:

1. They make a deeper, less irritating sound, and

2. They last more than 3 months, due to the larger/deeper engagement teeth.

Side derail: Does anybody have an extra set of the 15mm TA spacers for the front Trail wheel (bigger diameter hub than the Race version) kicking around? I need a set, and the big S has sent the wrong ones twice now.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Sorry to revive the thread, but just nabbed this wheelset. Noticed the noise level of the freehub right away. (I'm used to Mavic.). Engagement is perfect though, all seems great.

Thanks for the reality check guys, seems like the sound is normal.