mtbr member

Specialized Carbon Handlebars

Are the Specialized carbon handlebars any good? I'm still kinda affraid going carbon on the handlebar, so I'd like to know if they are as strong and reliable as the aluminum. But since I'm trying to save some weight on the front of the bike, the handlebar would be a good pick. I'm currently running on a EA70, 31,8, 680mm, 270 grams. My options would be the MonkeyLite XC (635mm, 156g), the FSA K-Force Lite (630mm, 183g) and the Specialized S-Works Carbon Rise (640mm, 197g). If anyone use it on a Stumpjumper or Enduro, please give your opinion and share your experiences. That would help me to pick the right one. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I read one review that held those, RaceFace, and Syntace bars in high regard. They had some crazy testing, and I believe even the worst of the carbon bars failed at higher loads than the aluminum ones did in a previous test some years ago. I would do the S-Works, but I wanted more rise to it. Also, if you get the "lesser" carbon bar you get the FACT replacement policy option for crash replacements at a much cheaper cost.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Here's the review/test from the RaceFace site. It's a PDF:

http://www.raceface.com/components/P...BarsReview.pdf

mtbr member
    I had the Easton MonkeyLite riser bars, and changed them out for the S-Works. Can't comment on the feel, since I changed the stem as well as the bars for the higher diameter. The S-Works are narrower and suit me better, and since they are wider diameter, are stiffer. That is especially apparent having gone for Pikes up front!

In turn, they have the feel of being top quality compared with the monkeylites. In terms of longevity, couldn't tell ya... They not been on long enough!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    Here's the review/test from the RaceFace site. It's a PDF:

http://www.raceface.com/components/P...BarsReview.pdf
    That made me larf... The Specialized XC Riser bars... Too Heavy!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Did you compare the weights? I think the Syntace bars are pretty light compared to the S-Works, but the test was also in 12/06 which is pretty recent. Maybe the new S-Works bars are lighter? Obviously they did well beyond that minor gripe.

mtbr member
    Yeah, but to describe bars that weigh slightly more than a knats fart as 'HEAVY'... It is all relative, I realise that there are lighter bars, but there is not that much difference between them!

mtbr member
    Alright, I can go with that. Besides, I would rather have the feel of a well-damped bar for the same weight as my aluminum one than shooting for lightness at the expense of strength. So the similarity in weight isn't an issue for me. Of course, for those looking to race (as mentioned in there) they would want to drop all the weight they can. No biggie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm on the Specialized bar you mention and it's a ROCK. I am not at all worried that it will break. I'm about 190 pounds.

mtbr member
    Anyway, I made some research and had my choices narrowed on the Easton MonkeyLite CNT XC/XC-MX low/high rise 31,8 660mm (the nearest to my current handlebar) and the FSA K-Force Lite low rise 31,8 630mm. For both I would consider getting respective brands' stems, Easton EA70 31,8 100mm or FSA OS115 31,8 100mm.

I'm leaning more towards the Easton, because of its width, I like wider stems. But does anyone have any report on how a shorter handlebar should perform on the SJ? I think it may turn faster, but will also get more steep on high speeds. Any coments?

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    The CNT low rise eastons what I have, can't fault them, though on the enduro SL, I think that I'll be getting the higher rised ones next.

mtbr member
    I went from the Eastons at 660mm to the S-Works at (I think) 640mm. Yes it seems to turn in quicker, but I don't notice any real change from the previous bar when climbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've been using the Sworks OS straight bar for over a year now and have always ridden my bike hard on single tracks and fire roads but no drops over 2ft. No problems so far inspite of some nasty wipe outs and endos, still feels as solid as the 1st day albeit the scratches.

Members who have read this thread: 2