mtbr member

Specialized "The Captain" 29 X 2.0 Tires.....

......I upgraded to the Armadillo Elite Dual Compound Series to get a tougher sidewall.......noticed after 4 snow rides recently that the side walls are showing alot of thread....could the snow have caused that much wear? Anyone else have any experience with the Captain Armidillo Elite version of these Specialized tires?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized "The Captain"  29 X 2.0 Tires.....-122_800x450.jpg  

Specialized "The Captain"  29 X 2.0 Tires.....-123_800x450.jpg  

Specialized "The Captain"  29 X 2.0 Tires.....-125_800x450.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I don't have the captain armadillo, however, I do have the captain 2bliss in 26x2.0 and have something similar to yours, not as bad though. Keep an eye out, just to be on the safe side.

What I had worse happen to one of the captain tires (front) was the tread "bubbling" on the center. It had approx. 7 spots where bumps had formed a quarter of an inch higher than the center tread. Stans was used so I don't know if that had an effect on the carcass. LBS warrantied defective tire.

The Other Dude
    I have 2 sets of captains that did the exact same thing, the good news is that they that after 6 months of that happening, they are still sealed tubeless and I havent had a problem with them. Mine are the control version though, not the armadillo.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net