mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Specialized Camber Comp

I am looking around for bikes and came around a camber comp 26er at local bike shop for 1300. I know its an entry level bike. Most of components look serviceable for a while. My only concern is the Tektro Draco brakes, anyone have a camber comp that has used them or has any other concerns about this bike?

I'd rather be on my bike
    I have one. 2011 Comp 26er. I ended up doing some brake swapping, and those Draco's are now on my '10 Stumpjumper FSR, and honestly, they are not bad. I put the Elixir CR's on my Camber since that sees more use. If that is for new, that is a great price. This bike is so underrated it's not funny. I was actually thinking about swapping back to the Draco's this week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yea that is new, although I didnt see what year it was. IT may be a 2011 but when I was looking at the components look exactly as what specialized list on their site right now. Thanks for the response looks like I'm going down a good path.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I really like the handling of the bike so far. I am on a medium, which is a tad bit small for me at just shy of 6'0". The Stumpy is a large, so it is a nice change. Previous owner is a friend of mine, and he and I have made some changes, in fact quite a few to it. I think that the only things that are stock on it are the rear shock, seat post, seat, and front derailleur. I don't know how it compares to a stock bike, but my buddy really loved it in stock form. He moved on to the 29er version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I picked up a 2012 camber comp about 2 weeks ago. Its my first full sus bike and so far i am liking it a lot. As far as the brakes go I have not had problems with them. Before buying I was a bit concerned since I read several places they were not very good. This is the first serious MTB I have had, so perhaps I don't have much to compare them to. I did ride a stumpy with the avid elixers and could not really feel any difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Might be a bit late on this but thought I would throw my opinion in here as a Camber Comp rider (2011). In short I really love the bike and think its great value for money. The tektro dracos were a concern for me too. They've done a great job for 1 year but have just recently started leaking fluid from the brake lever. It may have been the result of a fall but I've not had any serious crashes. But before this happened, I could not tell the difference between them and my mate's really expensive brakes. Also had tektros on my rockhopper with have taken 5 years of abuse without ever needing maintenance.

I've really enjoyed upgrading the bike actually, so having cheaper components makes it a good "project" bike in that sense. So far I have shortened the stem, dropped the larger chainring for a bashguard and fitted a dropper seatpost. Next I think I may get rid of the Dracos, which have put in one year of good service.

Fantastic bike for the money.

"The Rookie"
    Apr 2012
    I see this thread is a little old but it caught my attention. My LBS has a 2012 Specialized Camber Comp 26 on sale. It lists on their sales tag as retail of $1849.99 and is on sale for $1387.50. Just wondering what everyone thought of that deal??? I am currently just riding a commuter right now. A 2011 Specialized Crosstrail Disc Sport. I am looking at moving into mountain biking after years of dirt bike single track riding. Would this be a good entry level bike that will keep me happy for 5+ years? My LBS also has a used 2005 Specialized Enduro Pro for $500. It is in really good shape with no major damage on frame. Has the original fox rear shock with no leaks. It has been serviced by the shop and had many parts replaced. However most of the parts were replaced with lower quality parts. It has new Specialized the captain tires, entry level wheels and a entry level front rock shox. New avid mechanical discs brakes and a new rear cassette assembly. I am relatively new to the bike world so that's all the info I can really offer. My buddy that works at the shop basically said they are selling the bike for a price to cover there parts and time in the bike. I know those are two different bikes and in was just looking for a little bit of advice for a good first bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Rhwest, sounds like a decent deal to me. I just bought a 2011 camber elite last week for 1350 on sale. So figure yours is a year newer but a 26er whereas mine is 29. I'd say that's a good grab.

So far I'm loving the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If the Camber 2012 comp is new, then I would say it is definitely a good deal. In the UK that would make it 900, which is a great price for a Camber. The 2011 got a lot of good reviews as an entry level bike although I heard some issues about flexing in the bottom bracket. This was sorted out in the 2012 model with a bigger bottom bracket.

One thing to consider is that (I think) they are now only making these in 29". Not that it would affect you if you ever needed to replace parts. There will be loads of 26" components for many years to come even if 29" wheels become the standard.

Travel-wise its a little bit more cross country than all-mountain, which could be a limiting factor if you really started to get into the more heavy off-road stuff. I only say this because it is the position I'm in now. Still love the Camber though.

Basically, if I were in your shoes I would probably buy the camber. Don't knwo much about the enduro.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    With the 26er's - wasn't the flexing only really addressed with M5 frame on the Expert model?

At least that's what the tests say - but then I know of owners with 2011 model's and 2012 model Elite and Comp's that haven't really had a noticeable issue. Although I think the tests claimed it could be a flex that caused 'ghost shifting' issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Finally finished my Camber build and so far loving it ! ... feels great on the trails just the right amount of travel and still nimble and able to climb.... Renthal fatbar lite's are a must ! )