mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Specialized-branded Mtb wheels?

Looks like Specialized is moving their "Roval" wheels to the Mountain bike wheels. Interesting, I still have a set of 2002-esque S-Works wheels (just hugi hubs with mavic rims, but bombproof build).

"The rig sported a new Specialized Roval Contrôle cross-country wheelset. It's said to weigh about 1400 grams. It will be tubeless-compatible by way of a sealing tape and will be available in 2008 for $800." (from velonews)

Anyone have any info on these?

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nice wheels, I'm also curious about them. But I wanna know about that saddle! I like the toupe, but I don't like the rear plastic tail fins, nor the front pointy plastic tip. When riding techy mtb stuff, I think it gets in the way. The design shown in the picture appears to be an improvement for sure, assuming the rest of the saddle is the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    wheels sorta look like Stan's no tubes rims. I do like silver wheels! So rare these days.

Also very interested in the new Sauser and Ned designed tires!

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

I have 2 S works wheelsets

a 99 rim brake version-red anondized mavic X517's with satin Hugi hubs, and an all black 2003 disc set with Mavic X317's and Hugi's. Love that Hugi sound.

I agree, terriffic, light, and strong wheelsets. The 03's are on my 06 FSR, the 99's are hanging lovingly on the spare part rack.

The Other Dude
    those wheels look really cool, and not flashy, but very functional, which i think is cool since alot of companies go super flashy on their high end stuff now. 1400g for $800.....if thats true, i wouldnt mind finding a set for myself. That seat does look sweet too, but i am in love with my toupe saddle, it just fits so great, i run one my epic and tarmac, and if it wasent so fragile (i havent broken one, but can only imagine) , i would run one my sx trail also.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Freedom Isn't Free

I can't wait for these to go on sale...

Been looking for a new, light wheelset for my Epic. I have a set of FSA XC 300, great set, but a rather heavy...over 1600 grams (maybe more).

The saddle is the Phenom...Toupe w/out the plastic front and rear pieces...constantly get caught on my shorts! I love my Toupe, but I'll be changing it to the Phenom.

Now, I just need a good, light Specialized crank/bottom bracket!