mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Which specialized bike for me??

Hi, I am a female 5'6 150 pounds and fairly new to mountain biking. I have been riding (borrowing) a stumpjumper the last month and now need to decide on which bike to purchase.
    I want a go everywhere bike that can climb well and also hang with the downhills.
    I am trying to decide between the Safire pro or the stumpjumper elite or the stumpjumper pro. I'm a little hesitant going with carbon (stumpjumper pro). But also don't want to be searching for a bike again next year because I didn't make the plunge and buy carbon. Any thoughts on carbon or aluminum bikes (for a non racer) and a female bike or a unisex bike?
    On a side note I have a specializednroubaix bike and a jamis cross bike that are unisex and have been happy with both.

The Cheater
    The stumpy used to be a good buy in 2010. The best for the price. It's still a good bike but Spez models tend to be overpriced now. I'd recommend other brands' models for 2011. What is your budget for the fullbike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Budget

I'd like to stay below 5k

Trying not to kill myself
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterkd
    I'd like to stay below 5k
    Wow, that's a heck of a budget for a fairly new rider! I personally wouldn't bother with carbon if you're not going to be racing it (unless you already have weight weenie tendencies). The new Stumpys are great if you need the extra travel, but if you're more XC oriented and into climbing, you owe it to yourself to ride an Epic. The Brain shock is great going uphill and it descends like a rocket assuming you're not doing a bunch of big drops. What sort of terrain do you ride on and how long are your usual rides?

As for the unisex vs. female bikes, I'd say that it's about 50/50 when I see women on the trails around here. As always getting fitted by a shop and doing lots of test rides are the best way to end up with the right bike. Especially if you're going to be dropping thousands of dollars.

I agree with the comment above about Specialized's pricing. If you get lucky, you might be able to find a discounted 2010 bike somewhere near you.

mtbr member
    Try and demo on the trail if possible. I thought I wanted an epic with the brain, but after demoing one this weekend I was not happy with the feel. I also rode a full suspension bike non brain and liked it better. The epic did climb slightly better but I felt I got beat up more on the downhill on the epic. So my advice would be to try and demo on the trail if possible. A bike with the brain is a completely different ride.

mtbr member
    Like the others posters said, in that price range, it probably comes down to whether you like the brain. If not, you'd probably be better off with another brand. The non-brain models of spesh are going to be considerably lower spec'd. Try the brain... at that price they should arrange to let you demo at least some bike with a brain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My gf loves her '11 Stumpjumper Comp. She rides the hell out of that thing too! Does jumps and moderate drops. Plus she can climb much better than I can on my Enduro. I say you go with the Stumpjumper if it fits right. The Safire will have a shorter relative top tube that's supposed to fit females better. But I have decided that my gf can ride a Stumpy with a shorter stem without any issue. Plus she likes the fact that it's not all "girly" looking.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Actually Stumpy FSR EVO is Brain-less at right around the middle of the model range and has pretty darn nice components if you ask me.

As far as trail bikes go, the Specialized lineup seems awfully competitive to Trek, GF, Giant, etc. offerings to me. Pricing may be $50-150 higher at any given trim level, but the models I've been scoping out also come w/ slightly to relatively significantly nicer components IMHO.

I would agree that unless you're primarily doing AM type of trails w/ a lot of downhill and big hits, I'd take a look at the Epic EVO or a Camber Pro dependent on how you like the Brain. Those are the next two candidates on my list anyway. YMMV, but I found myself feeling that the 140mm of travel on the SJ FSR Elite may be a bit much for 90% of the trails I ride. SJ FSR Expert Carbon or Pro Carbon w/ the Talas or Future Shock would give you the option to go 110/115mm to 140mm on the fork and would probably be a slam-dunk for me if I could swallow the price tag.