mtbr member
    May 2011

Specialized 29er size (& general) advice

Hi folks,
    First world quandary. I'm interested in the Specialized Camber Expert Evo; has anyone managed to get a ride on the bike? The reviews I have seen are pretty good. I am switching between convincing myself to buy the bike and not buy it.

1) I already have a similar travel 26" Yeti ASR5C which is a fantastic bike (although the gf is starting to use the this bike).

2 ) Being based in Ireland I haven't had a chance to demo it (can get a test bike over in about 6 weeks).

3) At 5'7" and a quiff I'm not confident what size I would take (although a few people who have ridden the bike suggested medium). The medium top tube looks the right length but the small has better stand over, crank & stem length according to figures on the website (based on my current 26"bike).

4) The bike isn't great value (although there is 15% off today via a mall order shop).

Alternatively I could wait to later in the year and try to demo a few bikes. I should be able to get 10% off my local Specialized dealer. What do you think? Worth waiting?

Let the flaming commence......

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I don't know about the expert but I just got the aluminum evo and it's a fantastic bike. The carbon version must be just as good.
    I'm 5'10'' and fine with size L. I suggest you try medium. I don't think you should worry about standover all that much.

mtbr member
    5' 8" here riding a 2013 Camber Carbon Pro 29er frameset and it's a small. I have a 30 in (well almost) inseam and the small is a much better fit for standover than the medium.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have a Camber Expert Carbon Evo, I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam I am riding a medium. Originally thought a large would be right. LBS fitted me before I ordered and medium is right for me. Stand over height is just perfect.