mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Specialized 2011 Crosstrail Sport Disc vs. 2010 Rockhopper Expert 29er???

Ok...I'm just getting into biking and need some advice. While I rode bikes a lot throughout my childhood and all the way up to college, I rode for the most part, a BMX type bike. Now I'm looking to get a bike for fitness and fun. I looked at both mountain bikes and road bikes, and figured initially on a hybrid since it offers me some versatility. I don't plan on doing serious mountain biking, but think it might be fun hitting some trails every now and then. As for the majority of my riding I will probably do more bike paths, light gravel or dirt trails, and sometimes grass.

I've narrowed my choices to the 2011 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc and the 2010 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29er. I understand the Rockhopper is specifically a mountain bike, but I think the 29 inch wheels would help with road efficiency and make it comparable to a hybrid for road use. I can get the 2010 Rockhopper Expert 29er for about $150 more than the Crosstrail Sport Disc because it's on clearance. At first I thought the Rockhopper would win hands down, but I have read that the 2010 Rockhoppers were built with lesser components and therefore were cheaper bikes in comparison with other years versions of the Rockhopper. So basically my question is this: Is the 2010 Rockhopper Expert 29er worth the extra $150 ($825 on clearance) over the 2011 Crosstrail Sport Disc ($675)???

Maybe I'm reading too much into the reviews, but I would appreciate any insight to this. Both bikes feel comfortable to ride so I'm just looking at it from a value standpoint.

Here's the links to each bikes specifications:

2011 Crosstrail Sport Disc
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=Path%2FGravel

2010 Rockhopper Expert 29
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...4&menuItemId=0

Thanks in advance!

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Go with the Rockhopper 29er even if you step down on the RH price range to make it more affordable. Its a much more versatile bike since it will be just as good on road or on bike paths and much more capable offroad.

If you find that you're riding it more on greenway paths, in the neighborhood, or on the road, then you can simply pick up an extra set of tires that suits those needs. The RH 29er will roll just as well as the Crosstrail on smooth terrain.

The bonus is that if you decide that you want to spend more time on the trails, then the RH will be much more capable of handling it. The Crosstrail doesn't have as much clearance for a mountain bike tire and you'll need the bigger volume mountain bike tire for the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for your input. I was thinking the same thing.

The only problem now is the fit. I'm about 5'9" - 5'10" (sorry I haven't measured my height since high school) and I usually where 29 or 30 inseem pants or jeans. I've been told that I have a long torso so the issue is stand over clearance. The Rockhopper is a size 17, but with 29 inch wheels the top tube just about touch the bottom of my balls when I was wearing flat slippers... I was told that a size 15 frame would be too small so I'm kinda stuck. I've seen some guides and they said I need 2-4 inches stand over clearance. I'll probably wear my trail running shoes when I ride so that may give me a little more height, but maybe only an inch. Is that enough to possibly get by or am I asking for trouble?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I think you'll be perfectly fine with a 17" frame. I have the same inseam and I'm 5'10" and ride a 17" 29er, I wouldn't want a smaller frame.

The Rockhopper Expert will actually be better spec'd than the Crosstrail, FWIW. The burough tires on the crosstrail will roll alot better on flattop though.

Consider the Rockhopper and an extra set of cheap wheels with some street tires?

mtbr member
    those borough xc tyres roll really well at a good speed, i used to have a crosstrail 2010, and the I still cant manage to cruise at those speeds on my new GF xcalibur. The crosstrail has loads of tyre clearance, i fit an 2.3 exiwolf upfront and a 2.1 nanoraptor in the back. Hybrid and 29er frames are actually not so different, its all marketing and slight geo changes so the multinationals sell more bike.
    I did take the crosstrail off road and the main prob i found was the BB is a little low (pedal bashes forest floor on take off jumps) and the chain stays are a bit longer than they should be. The Fork on the crosstrail was actually the same one found on the hardrock 29er disc model (2010 versions).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well I am getting a 2011 Crossfire Sport so I be the guinea pig to see how it is on the trails. I just want to get father out than walking and if I can get some speed up and have a bit of fun great

My LBS had a 2010 Comp HR 29er and wanted $700 for it, was a floor model that had a few test drives--enough the back rotor was a little black. I got a brand new in the box 2011 Crossfire Sport for $630, I am sure any 2010 RH Expert is $200 more, that buy new tires.

True the frames are different. RH is a great bike and if I was 10 years younger would had got it. Crossfire has a nice plush seat, more so than HR

My $630 2011 CT Sport has hdy brakes
    Last edited by Skylor; 10-14-2010 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I Say Get The Crosstrail If You Dont Plan To Ride Off Road, Technical Trails

If U Do Plan To , Then Get The Rh

mtbr member
    I think it comes down to the following considerations:
    1) Do you plan to ride aggressively on your dirt trails or if your trails are really rough go for the RH. The RH has a longer wheel base and larger volume tires that will absorb the small bumps better than the CT.
    2) The RH fork is intended for XC-trail riding and the Crosstrail for street trekking and smooth trails. That is, the RH should have a fork with larger diameter stanchions for a little less fork flex and strength and about 5mm more of travel.
    3) Do you like to be more upright or stretched-out when riding? The Crosstrail's TT is at least 1" shorter than the RHs TT when comparing the same sized frames.
    4) If you plan to do a lot of rough trail riding go with the RH because it will accommodate larger tires than the CT.
    5) Do not get the 2010 RH if your crotch touches the TT when standing. You should have at least 2" clearance for smooth terrain and 3" to 4" for rough hilly terrain. Wait for a Spring sale and get a 2011 RH Comp in your size.
    I have a 2009 Crosstrail Sport, which I commute to work on and I really like the fit and ride quality of this bike on the pavement. I have also ridden this bike on dirt trails and rough gravel roads and can say that the RST Neon fork is overwhelmed by the rough terrain. Also, I cannot fit 29er tires in this 2009 frame without hitting the front derailleur so I donít know how much better this CT would ride in the dirt if it were to have larger tires and a better fork.

mtbr member
    not too much difference...nothing stopping me taking a 'hybrid' on trails.... just dont tell the marketing people

Dude
    Mar 2011
    I wanted a Crosstrail Sport disc, and while at my LBS I also liked the Hardrock sport disc, so I bought the 2011 versions of both.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisa70 View Post
    I wanted a Crosstrail Sport disc, and while at my LBS I also liked the Hardrock sport disc, so I bought the 2011 versions of both.
    haha... they're both crap!

Dude
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mozami View Post
    haha... they're both crap!

haha... you're a jackass! Ya tosser.....
    Last edited by Chrisa70; 06-16-2011 at 11:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KAC6 View Post
    Thanks for your input. I was thinking the same thing.

The only problem now is the fit. I'm about 5'9" - 5'10" (sorry I haven't measured my height since high school) and I usually where 29 or 30 inseem pants or jeans. I've been told that I have a long torso so the issue is stand over clearance. The Rockhopper is a size 17, but with 29 inch wheels the top tube just about touch the bottom of my balls when I was wearing flat slippers... I was told that a size 15 frame would be too small so I'm kinda stuck. I've seen some guides and they said I need 2-4 inches stand over clearance. I'll probably wear my trail running shoes when I ride so that may give me a little more height, but maybe only an inch. Is that enough to possibly get by or am I asking for trouble?
    Ball touching is completely fine.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    Ball touching is completely fine.
    I told my wife that. Somehow she didn't belive me.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.