mtbr member

Specailized and Mavic warranty story

Just thought I would post a good experience I have had with Specialized.

My rear Mavic Crossmax SL Disc wheel freewheel went bad twice on me in less then 6 months on my 04 S-works Enduro. The first time I bit the cost and replaced the freewheel body and pawls, less then 2 months later the pawls were shot again. Took my wheel into my LBS that I didn't buy the bike from but is a Mavic dealer and asked them to see if Mavic will warranty the wheel since there is something really wrong with it.

LBS sent the wheel to Mavic on July 6th and was told it would be 4 weeks before then could even look at it. August 8th comes and my shop calls them up to see what the status is on the wheel. Mavic says it would be another 3 to 4 weeks before the can look at it. My bike shop tries to get it done sooner and they say sorry.

So being very pissed off at Mavic, I call up Specialized to see what they can do. I give the women all my information along with the non-specialized dealer shop info I am using. She tells me it doesn't sound right on Mavic's part and she will see what she can do. About an hour or so later my LBS gives me a call and says that Mavic called and said that he must have an upset customer as Specialized called them up about it. Anyway they were able to look at the wheel now and the problem is normal wear and tear and they will not warranty the wheel. They will however ship out a brand new replacment wheel for $175.

I now have the new wheel, still pissed off at Mavic but was very happy to see Specialized went to bat for me and they are still working on the whole $175 deal. I will never buy another product from Mavic or use one once my SL's bite the dust. Specialized on the other hand has insured that I will favor them on any future bike purchases.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mavic

I had the same problem with my Crossmax XLs...Mavic refused to warranty the freehub. They said it needs to be cleaned and regreased after each ride or some nonsense, so I replaced the freeweheel and sold the wheelset. They were nice, but I have had cheap hubs take much more abuse and not crap out once every two months...glad to hear you got some assistance

mtbr member
    They told me the same thing, who the heck in there right mind sells a product for Mt biking that expects the customer to rebuild it after just about every ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman
    They told me the same thing, who the heck in there right mind sells a product for Mt biking that expects the customer to rebuild it after just about every ride?
    Yup, pretty asinine they wouldn't take care of you. That's reassuring Speshy stepped up. A big company that acts like an eager small one...good peeps over there it would seem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJLED
    I...Crossmax XLs...Mavic refused to warranty the freehub. They said it needs to be cleaned and regreased after each ride ...
    Since I just purchaed a set of Crossmax XL this summer I need to make sure I take care of them if the warranty is not going to address some of the problems. Does anyone have documentation on what Mavic is recommending for cleaning and servicing the wheels?

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Clean, post on cassifieds, take money to build King/BHonti wheelset

mtbr member
    To be honest I don't think any amount of service will help them. They either last or they don't. I was cleaning and lubing mine every couple of weeks so about every 100 miles and it still failed in 2 months. Yet there are guys that have had the wheels for years and have not done one thing to them.

mtbr member
    The two-prawl design in the mavic hubs may save weight but you pay the price unless you weigh 140lbs. Check out the product reviews on this site and you'll see you aren't alone. I'd guess that Mavic is so overwhelmed with people calling them up with this problem that it's bringing their service a bad name. I've had pretty good dealings with them in the past, but that was only related to a rim and not a wheelset.