mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Spec SJ FSR 6F Tire Options

I'm really looking to figure out what my options are for my Stumpy FSR 6F tires and there's info scattered over a lot of different threads. I'm running 27.5x3 Purgs on front and rear, but I'm looking for some better options for here in the PNW. With BB clearance minimal, I don't think a 2.8 would work very well, so what are my other 3.0 options? I know Maxxis HR2s come in 27.5x3. Others?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RVbldr View Post
    I'm really looking to figure out what my options are for my Stumpy FSR 6F tires and there's info scattered over a lot of different threads. I'm running 27.5x3 Purgs on front and rear, but I'm looking for some better options for here in the PNW. With BB clearance minimal, I don't think a 2.8 would work very well, so what are my other 3.0 options? I know Maxxis HR2s come in 27.5x3. Others?
    I had nobby nic 3.0 on mine, worked good for summer conditions. Not that great for winter though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jpec29 View Post
    I had nobby nic 3.0 on mine, worked good for summer conditions. Not that great for winter though.
    That's not good, I was hoping that they would do well in the wet. I've had decent performance with the Spec Purgs in the wet conditions, need a little more grip for the dry stuff. Looking at the Maxxis High Roller II's but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Just to close on this, I ended up putting a 3.0" Maxxis High Roller II on the front end, and went for an 18 mile ride at Hansen Ridge here in the PNW. https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/hansen-ridge. It's a fairly difficult trail with about 3700 feet of climbing, Conditions range from packed dirt, dust over hard-pack, moss, chunky rock, and even a little swampy stream run-off. I was really happy with the grip on the front tire and it didn't even hint at washing out.