mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Spec carbon bars vs. alloy bars

I recently went to a specialized demo to try a regular stumpjumper and a 29er. The regular stumpy was an s-works with a carbon bar, and I noticed about a half an hour into my ride that it was the first time riding MTB that my hands didn't experience any discomfort. It was great. When I switched to the 29erI noticed a slight discomfort in my palm after a few mintues. Though much less than on my current bars.

My question is do you think this was due to the carbon handlebars, or did I notice it on the second bike because I had been riding longer? If the carbon bars make that much of a difference I would happily upgrade, but don't want to waste my money on the more expensive bars if the aloy bars work just as well.

Anyone have experiences with both?

(I did lots of reasearch on the carbon versus alloy debate, but wanted somebody with experience relative to the specialized bars because the shape seems to be easier on my hands)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I switched from alloy bars to carbon in May. I've not noticed any difference in "riding along," but I have noticed quite a bit of difference when I'm absorbing bumps. The carbon bars seem to absorb the impact a lot better

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I ordered a sworks carbon bar for my 29er, because their stock alu bar was making my hands feel the same way, compared to the carbon bar on my epic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CDB
    I ordered a sworks carbon bar for my 29er, because their stock alu bar was making my hands feel the same way, compared to the carbon bar on my epic.
    Thanks for the comparison CDB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was just looking online and noticed that I can get an easton monkeylite for cheaper than the s-works. Has anyone used both? Any preferences?

Thanks

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've used them both. I cannot say there is any noticeable difference, considering that my easton ones were not oversized like the sworks. Too many variables to determine the source of stiffness, whether it's the bar, stem, or OS diameter.

I currently ride multiple bikes, two of which have the easton bars and two have sworks version. I never feel like there is any disadvantage either way.

Both good products.

mtbr member
    I picked up a Spec carbon 25.4 bar on ebay for $50, brand new take-off. It was one of the best purchases I ever made. Look around on ebay, there are a couple for sale right now.

mtbr member
    Rock Climber,
    Get the Monkeylite. I have them on each of my bikes and love em. I even bought one from Universal while they have them for 50 bucks. I just couldn't resist that price even though I don't need one now, I am bound to crash and have to replace it!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"