mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Spec Captain tires burping air

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Specialized Captain S-works tires on Crossmax UST wheels with Stans sealant. On 3 of my last 8 rides I have flatted my front tire by burping out air when hitting a turn real hard while braking. I am running 32psi in the front. I ran the same pressure on my UST Roll-x tires at the same pressure and never had a problem. I realize the 2bliss ready are lighter and flex more but if I have to run more than 32psi then I might as well be running tubes. Does anyone else have similar problems or any suggestions. Should I try some different tires or run more pressure? I am considering trying a Spec. Chunder Control on the front. It is a little wider so I should be able to get by with less pressure.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Is it hot and muggy where you are at? I am having the same problem with Nevegal 2.35 DTC on a Mavic 819 rim. I know they are not UST tires, but I never had this problem till it got over 90 degrees. .....isn't that the worst feeling? Knowing that you are going to be totaly out of control in a milli second when you need it the most.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

yep

Quote Originally Posted by TomBouch
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Specialized Captain S-works tires on Crossmax UST wheels with Stans sealant. On 3 of my last 8 rides I have flatted my front tire by burping out air when hitting a turn real hard while braking. I am running 32psi in the front. I ran the same pressure on my UST Roll-x tires at the same pressure and never had a problem. I realize the 2bliss ready are lighter and flex more but if I have to run more than 32psi then I might as well be running tubes. Does anyone else have similar problems or any suggestions. Should I try some different tires or run more pressure? I am considering trying a Spec. Chunder Control on the front. It is a little wider so I should be able to get by with less pressure.

Almost DNF'd a race last week b/c of the those tires burping air. Went back to tubes for now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes it is in the 90's. I used to love tubeless. Now I am having my doubts. The fact that it didn't happen with the Roll-x UST tire leads me to believe that I should have better luck with some other tires. The Captains are much lighter and I hate to put on weight. Any tire suggestions. I guess I can try 35psi.

ejh
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    try the capton control, a little heavyer but I've had no problemes with @ 30 psi