View Poll Results: what drivetrain/shift system would you want on higher end mountain bikes?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • sram X0

17 62.96%
  • shimano XTR

10 37.04%
    mtbr member

spe. high end drivetrains

what drivetrain/shift system would you rather see on higher end mountain bike, sram x0 or shimano xtr?

mtbr member

Purely on experience...

based purely on experience I'm biased for to SRAM... albeit twist shifters only (as I've witnessed pretty crappy performance from SRAM's triggers (X.7)).

I love the reliability. They are engineered and based in the USA. They are more intuitive to my hands, especially when I'm tired. and they shift as fast and as many gears as I can pull at once without hesitation.

Personally, I'd like to try to new XTR stuff though just to see where it stacks up. In the mean time I'm on my third bike with SRAM grip shifting (9.0SL, then X.9, and now X.0) all have been flawless.

sengert.

mtbr member
    Used both systems quite a bit. Prefer Shimano no questions.

I do not like the "new" STI stuff, but my wifes bike has STI 8sp XTR, loves them
    I wish they would bring back 8spd, less hassle and who need the extra gears anyway?

I have found SRAM to be much more picky in the setup,
    Needs more work to shift smooth, XO shifters are a pain in the A$$.
    They look really cool tho...
    Wierdo complaint, the rear wheel is a ***** to get on/off with any SRAM rearD, why is that?
    It is always in my way for a quick change, can't stand that feature...

Looking to try the new XTR shifters, but almost too much gee wiz for me
    I might get the cranks as they are now in compact 44/32/22, not just the 46/36/26
    My fat butt needs the compact ring sizes to get me up the death climbs we have around here.

I always say 'Ride whacha brung'

RideOn!
    Custom 99 FSR Elite, 01 Enduro Rear Triangle
    XTR Drive, Saint 6", Revelation UTurnAir,
    Fox Triad, RF Next RiserBars, Flite Seatpost,
    Ringle Dirty Flea hubs on DS-1 Rims
    XTcranks, FSA XC115 Stem, BG Pro Seat

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    you can have the shimano stuff. i had a hell of a time setting it up and keeping it set up. the sram stuff in my opinion is much easier, just set the limits and use the barrel adjuster to adjust. simple and effective. just adjusted mine for the first time in a long time. took ten seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorCrashMaster
    Used both systems quite a bit. Prefer Shimano no questions.

I do not like the "new" STI stuff, but my wifes bike has STI 8sp XTR, loves them
    I wish they would bring back 8spd, less hassle and who need the extra gears anyway?

I have found SRAM to be much more picky in the setup,
    Needs more work to shift smooth, XO shifters are a pain in the A$$.
    They look really cool tho...
    Wierdo complaint, the rear wheel is a ***** to get on/off with any SRAM rearD, why is that?
    It is always in my way for a quick change, can't stand that feature...

Looking to try the new XTR shifters, but almost too much gee wiz for me
    I might get the cranks as they are now in compact 44/32/22, not just the 46/36/26
    My fat butt needs the compact ring sizes to get me up the death climbs we have around here.

I always say 'Ride whacha brung'

RideOn!

mtbr member
    I used to have XT, although not XTR, so maybe my opinion doesn't count. And although I would love to demo the new XTR stuff, I will now always stick by sram. XO rd, X9 shifters, and it is amazing. Immediete, clean, and smooth. Shimano didn't seem as smooth (XT) and fast. But, I doubt I would buy the new shimano stuff anyways. The shifters dual action lever seems a bit flimsly/weak like it will snap off, and so does the hydro levers, except it all looks sweet!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My last bike, 02 FSRxc used an XTR rear and front derailer, XT cranks, and XT shifters. My new build (almost done!) uses x0 rear derailer, x0 throttle/twist shifters, and XT front derailer. I guess I'll find out which I like best. My XTR stuff was pretty banged up. I think the rear was bent and the front was in need of servicing. I don't think the XT shifter/lever combos were bad, but I suppose I'm impartial to them. With my luck, I probably take them for granted and will end up hating the throttle shifters.

/gC

mtbr member
    Got X0 on my machine. Fantastic shifting and I can't see me moving to anything else.
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    I love the feel of my x0 shifters and rear der, but had to go with the xtr crankset...the best of both worlds