Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Sooo Frustrated – 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo 29er

Picked up a new Stumpjumper a couple months back and was ecstatic with my purchase until the first ride. Climbed great to the top of the mountain then started the downhill only to have the noisiest brakes on the mountain. First five rides were the same way. Yes the noise was super annoying but what really got me was the vibration through the whole bike when using the back brake. Took it to the shop where I purchased it and they put new pads / rotors on (no cost) and did the bed in process. Took it out and was great for about half the ride and then it came back. Tried it a couple more rides and back to the shop I went. The shop basically told me I needed to rip of the Avid Trail XO brakes and replace them with Shimano XT (roughly $550)!! Not wanting to drop any more money on the bike (as I broke the bank purchasing it) I settled with the second best option the shop had which was to replace the rotors with Icetechs and organic pads ($130). Same results vibration through the whole bike and super loud squealing / turkey gobble sound. Tried this setup a couple more rides then back to the shop I went. This time the shop got Sram to warranty both brakes but they were on back order till mid July. Not wanting to wait, I opted to replace the Trail XOs with Shimano XTs (figured I would sell the Avids when they came in as the shop assured me this would fix my problem). Took the bike out and the first 3 rides were amazing! I had brakes that actually worked no noise or vibration! Today was ride number four on the new XTs and guess what…. The squealing and vibration is back!!

This is my forth (and most expensive) Specialized bike, and I must say I am very unhappy with the whole experience…..

To anyone thinking of purchasing a Stumpjumper with Avid XO Trails beware… This bike has been a huge headache and at this point I’m wishing I would have never purchased it.

Sorry for the rant but needed to vent my frustrations….

Sooo Frustrated – 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo 29er-stumpy.jpeg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have seen this issue before, try a new wheel (not another specialized, or if it is make it one of the cheaper ones with normal 3 cross build and J bend spokes) and see if it solves the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have the same problem as OP. Haven't bothered changing my brakes. Have been riding the stock setup for some weeks and the brakes are not as noisy now as in the start. Must be said that the XO brakes are known to make a lot of noise.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I did serfas brake pad with alligator rotor for about half a year. Took the vibration out completely.

However these avid sucks. I would loose all modulaion after longer dh runs. Switched to slx with the expensive 1700 mm cable upgrade and honestly i am pretty happy now.

This is a well covered subject. Do a seach. Its a well known problem along with the specialized hub

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Our shop has now seen two of these exact bikes with this problem. That resonance can be a problem with the chain stay. Have your shop call Spec. About it and ask them to replace it with a carbon stay. If this does not work the resonance problem has also been stopped by filling the chain stay with expanding insulation foam. Good luck.
    Last edited by krandrus; 06-27-2013 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sorry to hear about your bike troubles. I have had issues with avid products even back in the day when they made rim brakes. Dont know why avid is still in business and many different bike brands come stock with their brakes. My friend just dropped a ton of cash on a cannondale scapel and is having the same issues with his brakes. So I wouldnt bash specialized.

Anything avid should be off your bike including the brake adapters. Thats just my opinion.

Is the noise and vibration coming from the rear, front or both? If its coming from the rear it could be a rear hub issue. The bike is still under warranty and the shop will upgrade your hub to an SRAM X9. Its a known problem. After the hub is upgraded I would recommend changing your pads since they could be worn unevenly from a bad hub.

I have a set of Hope brakes on my stumpy and have been running hopes for years. Super quite, no issues with vibration, and excellent modulation. The shimanos are great brakes as well.

Bike Addiction
    I went with Hope brakes after exhausting lbs. No more problems. When wet they will sometimes gobble for a few grabs and then quiet again but no vibes. Put my Avids back after a couple of years to sell the bike and vibation is back at all times ....dry, wet, snow.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    I have a 2013 SJ FSR Comp Carbon 29er that came with Avid Elixir 5s. In addition to the squealing that is apparently standard fare, my brakes would violently shake the front fork on grippy surfaces (pavement) even with light pressure on the lever.

I had negotiated $100 off the cost of the bike with my LBS when they said they would not credit new take-offs towards purchase of a replacement set. Removed and sold the Avid 5s after 50mi and replaced with Shimano XT brakes and rotors.

Problem solved, brake feel vastly improved.
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    The OEM XO Trail brakes suck! The aftermarket ones are great though. My bike came with XO Trail brakes and I sold them right away and bought Shimano Zee brakes.

I found the problem with Avid brakes is the pistons are prone to sticking. You get uneven pressure on the rotor and it causes horrible noises. It seems to happen on everything from Juicy 3s to XO Trail brakes. I pretty much refuse to run Avid brakes anymore and have Shimano on all my bikes.

On my 2011 Rockhopper I had juicy 3 and horrible noises. My 2011 Stumpjumper had Elixir R brakes and those too sounded horrible. I kept the stock rotors but put Deore brakes on the Rockhopper and XT brakes on the Stumpjumper and all the noise and vibrations disappeared.
    2013 Stumpy Evo

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by krandrus View Post
    Our shop has now seen two of these exact bores with this problem. That resonance can be a problem with the chain stay. Have your shop call Spec. About it and ask them to replace it with a carbon stay. If this does not work the resonance problem has also been stopped by filling the chain stay with expanding insulation foam. Good luck.
    Thanks Krandrus for the insight. Has your shop had success with Specialized replacing the chain stay with a carbon one?

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Clearly the issue is NOT with the brakes as you have the same symptoms with Avid & Shimano. As someone else said there has been a lot of coverage on this board on this issue which suggests that the resonance is in the chain stay, seat stay or hub. One of the "fixes" reported here was putting a damper weight on the chain stay near the rear rotor.

Oh, and I have Avid brakes on my bikes without any squealing.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have Elixir 5's on my bike as well. I've had my Stumpy since October and the brakes are still as silent and work as well as the day I built it. As skiwi said, the issue is not the brakes. OP has noise with XT brakes as well.

The rear hub is easy to check. Go to the shop you bought it from and see if they have a wheel they can put on the bike. If the noise goes away...the wheel/hub is the problem. If the noise is still there after changing the brakes and swapping a different wheel on, I would have the shop call Specialized and see what's up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes, in one case that solved the problem completely.

dvo
    mtbr member
    Hold your shop's feet to the fire on this one. Specialized is aware of this problem and imo it is a warranty issue. I tried a rotor, pads and now am switching out for xtr's with icetech rotors. My shop has covered all expenses except for the new icetechs. This is a high end bike and it is unacceptable that I would be expected to pay for new brakes. If my new car had the same issue you can bet I wouldn't be expected to pay for it. Raise hell. If your shop won't help call Specialized direct, then Sram if needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You can raise hell with the bike shop however it might not be worth your time, plus the fact not being without a bike for weeks while the warranty stuff goes through.

If you have the mechanical skills its better to fix things on your own and do it right the first time.

Waiting for peace
    Specialized is aware of this as a problem which, apparently, is a resonant frequency issue with the frame(s). That's what has been passed around as one of the reasons for the noise.

The FIX:
    change the mass of the frame so that it doesn't match that of the brakes. We have been using a small amount of silicone squirted into the seatstay. Once it firms up it acts like a vibration damper and has enough mass to change the resonant frequency of the seatstay... and it sticks in place.

<100%
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    Specialized is aware of this as a problem which, apparently, is a resonant frequency issue with the frame(s). That's what has been passed around as one of the reasons for the noise.

The FIX:
    change the mass of the frame so that it doesn't match that of the brakes. We have been using a small amount of silicone squirted into the seatstay. Once it firms up it acts like a vibration damper and has enough mass to change the resonant frequency of the seatstay... and it sticks in place.
    Silicone Implants! They really can do anything!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just picked up a 2014 Stumpy Expert EVO 29 and I have the same issue. I'm going to swap my XT's over from my Nomad. All in all the bike is so awesome and such a performance upgrade that I can live with it. At least the hikers will hear me coming because when I'm not on the brakes it's dead quiet and ridiculously fast

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi guys. My 2014 Rockhopper rear brakes did the same thing. Super bad vibration/ turkey call sounds. I don't have avids just cheap Tektro Draco 2. I changed out the rear disk for a magura disk I found on Jensons. I looked for a beefier disk, that had more surface area, less holes and more steel in the supports areas.

Magura Storm Rotor > Components > Brakes > Disc Brake rotors | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Anyway it fixed the problem, so it might be worth a try to change out the rear rotor for one that looks heavier and stronger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I had the same problem. My LBS sent in my frame to Specialized and they replaced the seat stays with the S-Works carbon version. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. My shop ended up getting me an S-Works carbon seat stay which fixed my problem. Now if I could purchase the matching chain stay I'd be set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear, my Avid brakes do not squeal unless they have some spray/water on them otherwise they are quiet and solid

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    Sorry to hear, my Avid brakes do not squeal unless they have some spray/water on them otherwise they are quiet and solid
    Funny to hear, great for you

I ride a 3 months old SJ FSR Evo Expert Carbon 29er with Avid XO Trail and have the same problems like squealing and vibriation with the breakes like the thread starter has If I trust in what my new local dealer has said, the only way to fix this problem is to replace the brakes and take for example some Shimano XT brakes....
    He changed in a similar case the brakes with the exact same bike and the other rider is happy again. But I don´t like the Shimano brakes.

Try to solve the problem with trikstuff components

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Stumpjumper FSR 29er Elite, Avid 5 switch to Shimano XT

Quote Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
    I have a 2013 SJ FSR Comp Carbon 29er that came with Avid Elixir 5s. In addition to the squealing that is apparently standard fare, my brakes would violently shake the front fork on grippy surfaces (pavement) even with light pressure on the lever.

I had negotiated $100 off the cost of the bike with my LBS when they said they would not credit new take-offs towards purchase of a replacement set. Removed and sold the Avid 5s after 50mi and replaced with Shimano XT brakes and rotors.

Problem solved, brake feel vastly improved.
    I'm having a similar issue (2013 Stumpy FSR 29er Elite) where my FRONT brake is the culprit and can be unpredictable. I had really bad shaking in the front shock when braking, but much of that was due to the headset not being properly tightened by the shop. Now with that cleared up, there is still a general lack of stopping power in the front and they are noisy as hell. I've been through 3 sets of pads, following the break-in instructions. I haven't been told anything about a "known issue" with resonance and I'm quite surprised to be told I need to spend $400 on Shimano brakes after dropping $4k on this bike! The bike felt awesome at the start, except for the brakes, but in 8 months I've been through a cassette and two chains, a new large chain ring after tearing two teeth off, and it looks like the only cure for the lack of stopping power is to spend $400 on Shimano XT brakes. Meanwhile I'm told I need the pivots and a headset rebuild...NONE of which has been covered by the shop. I can only hope the Shimano XTs will fix the brake problem, but how many cassettes, chain rings, and pivots do I need to replace each year?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast