mtbr member

Some questions about an older StumpJumper

I hope this hasn't been covered to death, but I wasn't having much luck with the search.

Here is some background on my questions.

My younger brother has an older aluminum framed SJ that he asked me to do some tune up work on for him. He asked me to have a look at the SJ because the chain was starting to skip if he mashed the pedals real hard. This tune up has pretty much turned into a drivetrain rebuild. Lets just say that he got all the life out of the chain rings and cassette. He has ridden this bike a ton of miles and hasn't done much maintenance on it. I know for about 3 years he almost never started his truck and rode the bike everywhere. When he asked me to go through the bike for him he said he didn't really want to put any unnecessary money into it because his student loans will be paid off this fall and he will be looking for a new bike then anyway. I got the bike home and started going over it and figuring out what it needs. Man this thing is used up. What a testament to a quality bike that this thing is still usable.

The frame is aluminum and has a "Handmade in USA" sticker on it. The bike has some Ritchey components, LX and XT drivetrain, Avid V brakes and so on. It must have been a pretty high end bike when it was new.

After cleaning up the frame and looking it over it is in good shape. I can't find any cracks or dints, major scraping, no damage from chain suck or anything like that. The paint is pretty scratched up, but other wise it looks really good.

Here are the questions.

Would Specialized still warranty this frame if it failed? The reason I ask this is because I assume that this would be a desirable frame as long as it is in good condition. Maybe I would be wise to steer him toward fitting this frame with some fresh components rather than buying a new bike. I have always heard that Specialized has a lifetime warranty.

If Specialized does have lifetime warranty on this frame, would rebuilding it with components other than what came stock on the bike change that? I don't mean putting a long travel fork on it or anything, just fitting it with a Fox F80 or something like that, fresh wheels and maybe a new 9 speed drivetrain.

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I will ask anyway. If the frame has lifetime warranty, would having a company like Spectrum apply new powder coat void that warranty? Does Specialized offer a refinishing service for older frames?
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Life is Good
    I am pretty positive that powder coating the frame will void the warranty, and as far as I know, Specialized does not offer any refinishing service.

As for the other two questions, Specialized does have a lifetime warranty on all of their frames, so that frame would be warrantied if it were cracked. That's assuming, of course, that you don't crack it while misusing it.

Be warned, however, that they will most likely not have any of that frame, or it's type, left in stock. Therefore, they will probably have to warranty you a newer model frame. These use new shocks, however, so you will probably have to pay for that (maybe a discounted price?) I don't know, because I've only warrantied one frame before and it was replaced with another compatible model. Someone else can pipe up and help you out here.

As fara s rebuilding it goes, so long as you don't put something insane on, like you said, new componentry will not void the warranty.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

We want... a shrubbery!
    If I'm not mistaken, Specialized will only warantee the frame if your brother is the original buyer with a receipt or some proof of purchase.

If he's looking for a new bike within the next year (instead of a quality rebuild), I wouldn't worry about waranteeing this frame -- it sounds solid, and there's no use replacing something that's doing it's job perfectly fine.

Can you give us some more details, or perhaps a picture of the frame? Just curious to see which hardtail it is.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member

Thanks for the information

Thanks for the replys guys.

I see how you might misunderstand, but just to be clear, I am not trying to warranty the frame. I only ask about that because if the warranty would still be valid it makes putting some money into fresh parts more attractive. Judd97, I hadn't thought about it, but I guess all the StumpJumpers are full suspension now aren't they. Maybe warranty wouldn't apply anyway.

My brother bought the bike new, but I really doubt that he has any receipts. I will have to ask him about that. The warranty issue is really not all that important in the big picture, but if there is one available I wouldn't want to throw it away by doing something like getting fresh powder coat.

Here are a few pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Any modification to the paint (ano, powder, wet) will void the warrenty if not done by the company contracted by specd, I think their in OR. I know because that was the official responce I got back from specd CS regarding repainting.

They still make SJ hardtails

The whole warrenty thing depends on when it was purchased, there was a period when they the changed the lifetime warrenty to 5yr and then back to lifetime. Ultimatley I think the most improtant aspect is your relationship w/the dealer you use and the relationship between the dealer and specd. One situation I had I had to pay the dealy to tear the bike down to be inspected for warrenty work. Another situation w/another dealer was no cost, no Q's, no hassle.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

We want... a shrubbery!
    If your brother wants a hardtail still, keep that frame and upgrade the parts. I've got one of them for my do-anything bike, and it's been treating me really well. However, if he wants a dual-squish, then I wouldn't put too much effort into it.

Haha, coincidently, the drivetrain on my Stumpy hardtail is shot as well, and I'm currently scrounging around looking for parts to replace it all...
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyickyptngzutboing
    If your brother wants a hardtail still, keep that frame and upgrade the parts. I've got one of them for my do-anything bike, and it's been treating me really well. However, if he wants a dual-squish, then I wouldn't put too much effort into it.

Haha, coincidently, the drivetrain on my Stumpy hardtail is shot as well, and I'm currently scrounging around looking for parts to replace it all...
    I really don't think he has decided yet if he want a full suspension or not. After talking we decided to put back into good ridable shape on the cheap. I have quite a few used parts that are still pretty decent so he shouldn't have to buy too much right now.

If he decides to go with a full suspension he will probably keep this bike anyway and maybe build it into another single speed. If he stays with a hardtail he will probably rebuild the bike with good components.