mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Last edited by Pedro2005; 07-20-2005 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling...

Driven by watts inside
    Ugh... Damnit...

I wanted a carbon Epic before I saw that pic. But man, that thing is fugly

Those red strips running down the sides are hideous. Maybe they'll produce an option that's more tasteful with outlined shapes and text ala the '04 S-Works models.

I do wonder how much stiffer the asymmetrical chainstays are, though...

- Jeremy -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy -
    Ugh... Damnit...

Those red strips running down the sides are hideous. Maybe they'll produce an option that's more tasteful with outlined shapes and text ala the '04 S-Works models.

- Jeremy -
    I'm sure you noticed how CHEAP they are gonna be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy -
    Ugh... Damnit...

- Jeremy -
    Interesting how everyone's tastes are so different, huh? I like it... I think the lines are smooth and sexy. And look at those curves on the Stumpy! Now if I only had $7000 of disposable funds....
    Last edited by skiahh; 07-20-2005 at 07:39 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Bike to the Bone...
    Hey, the new helmet's are cool!

Regarding the Stumpy and Epic, I think they will be to expensive for the positioning they have now...

It's like when VW came out with that expensive car, it may have been as good or better than an Audi or BMW, but it was still a VW.

By that amount, I think on some boutique bikes that could come close in price but higher in bling factor, and maybe, a little better specs. But the new Stumpy sure looks nice

dead sailor
    wow. sram drivetrain and a reba fork...
    Amazing how everyone gets caught in the hype...

flame-suit on!
    phuck it!

p.s. I NEED a Pugsley

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    If Spesh switch to SRAM I'd be a happy bunny. On my 05 Spesh I'm waging a Shimano Jihaad to remove all of that big japanese crap componentry where I can. Overpriced nonsense I tell thee!! First to go, Deore shifter pods and LX rear mech replaced with X.7. Bwahahahahahaa.
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]

dead sailor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Butter Topping
    If Spesh switch to SRAM I'd be a happy bunny. On my 05 Spesh I'm waging a Shimano Jihaad to remove all of that big japanese crap componentry where I can. Overpriced nonsense I tell thee!! First to go, Deore shifter pods and LX rear mech replaced with X.7. Bwahahahahahaa.

... ... ... riiiiiiiigghht... ... ... ...

flame-suit on
    phuck it!

p.s. I NEED a Pugsley

mtbr member
    Heh. Removing "Japanese crap" on a Rockhopper frame made in Taiwan.

Then you're going to replace components because it's overpriced? Aren't you going to end up spending more in that case?

LBS Manager

I like Sram too but

Don't kid yourself I dont think they do all of their production in the States. That said I removed all the shimano from bike too but I just wanted better performance.

Good luck with the shimano Jihaad as you called it.

mtbr member
    i absolutely hate the new big hit.... those helmets are super nice though...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Get a blog.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ahhh.... the mythical carbon epic exists.......!!!!!

dragonfly

ooooop

ooops
    Last edited by dragonfly; 07-22-2005 at 08:21 PM. Reason: ooops

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    See, but the cheap taiwanese frame is backed up by one of the best frame warranties in the business. Now I'm sure more boutique/expensive label frames will replace your goods as well, but I've heard/had only great service from Spesh in the past without forking out for something made state-side. I would of course prefer a US-built frame mind you but such is life.

As for shimano, well they've made good parts in the past but I'm simply not impressed with their build quality-to-value ratio anymore. So when the current crop of LX/Deore bits on my bike go *bang* or get torn off/bashed-in I'll find some SRAM to have a spin on. I may find they suck too and just continue being an angry troll though. No guarantees.

In all honesty though I think Shimano's running a total scam on people. Take a look at the exploded views of all their parts on Shimano.com and notice that there's almost zero design progression/difference between Alivio/Deore/LX/XT/XTR. Not to mention their reliance on proprietary design changes every few years. The only reason I can see to use anything above Deore is for weight, which of course is the world to some people. It all breaks the same in the end.

A fool and his money are easily parted.
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Anyone got any idea on whether the '06 S-Works Epic will be carbon only or will they be offering an M5 version too? I don't really fancy carbon for offroad use and been holding off getting an '05 S-Works Epic as I heard that the '06 brain is slightly improved.

mtbr member
    is carbon really the material for off road riding. may be sweet for the race and replace set. but not so good for a bike that sees rocks and drops and bike rack bouncing. might be worth peddaling the extra heft of aluminium - or join the 4130 revival.
    enjoy that next ride no matter what you are on!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Boy, this is what specialized calls innovation? It looks just like a Merida. Even the decals are similar. The only real difference is the shock.

http://www.merida.com/s0_global/main...nsion&bikeId=5

$7000? I want a new FSR but that is crazy.

mtbr member
    Possibly because Merida makes the frames for Specialized ...? I would also suspect, since they are a minority shareholder in Specialized, that they have some access to their designs, too.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Two wheels are best
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    Boy, this is what specialized calls innovation? It looks just like a Merida. Even the decals are similar. The only real difference is the shock.

http://www.merida.com/s0_global/main...nsion&bikeId=5

$7000? I want a new FSR but that is crazy.
    Notice that the Meridia doesn't have a Horst link. The rear pivot is located above the drop out, on the seat stay.

And, I agree...$7,000 is crazy!
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC
    Notice that the Meridia doesn't have a Horst link. The rear pivot is located above the drop out, on the seat stay.

And, I agree...$7,000 is crazy!
    Seconded 7K is about 4.5K US over my limit for a bike, ever.

[SIZE=1]
    I saw the pivot, wonder if it's a licencing issue? I mean the front triangle looks like Spec just used an exisiting design... one would assume if it goes one way Meridia might have a sweet deal going the other way.

Maybe they will do something unique with the front for next year after they work out the engineering issues to making completely new design. The stumpy is original I think so it's not like it's beyond them.[/SIZE]

OK scrath that I took a much harder look at both bikes, the only real things they have in common are: they are bikes, they are XC orinetated, and they are now made of carbon. Otherwise the Epic has almost as much in common with the Fuel 110.