mtbr member
    Apr 2005

So you own an '06 Enduro Pro?

Well I just bought an '06 Specialized enduro Pro as a blem deal from Specialized, and I couldn't help but wonder if what I got was special, or if the Internet spec list are lies. My bike has a brown Fox Talas 36 RC2 110-150mm fork, and it seems like the others have RC versions (is there a difference?). Also, my bike came with 6 inch rotors rather than the listed 8. And lastly, my wheels are Specialized labeled Sun-ringle SOS, rather than the DT 5.1 rims listed online. So can anyone tell me if the spec list on their enduro pro '06 match with mine? Maybe someone can throw the stock spec list from theirs up?

Thanks.

(It's not a huge big deal, just curious...since this was originally a "demo" bike, maybe it's a little different?)
    ridemonkey.com

Specialized Enduro Pro
    Atomlab Pimp2 <--Deity Components bike of the month (Feb. '08)

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Beast
    Well I just bought an '06 Specialized enduro Pro as a blem deal from Specialized, and I couldn't help but wonder if what I got was special, or if the Internet spec list are lies. My bike has a brown Fox Talas 36 RC2 110-150mm fork, and it seems like the others have RC versions (is there a difference?). Also, my bike came with 6 inch rotors rather than the listed 8. And lastly, my wheels are Specialized labeled Sun-ringle SOS, rather than the DT 5.1 rims listed online. So can anyone tell me if the spec list on their enduro pro '06 match with mine? Maybe someone can throw the stock spec list from theirs up?

Thanks.

(It's not a huge big deal, just curious...since this was originally a "demo" bike, maybe it's a little different?)
    You're not going crazy, I've got the same exact spec here on my recently purchased '06 Enduro Pro blem/demo. I was expecting the kit that's listed on the website (mostly SRAM stuff) and was a bit surprised when I got the bike.

Here are the basics of what I ended up with:

• Enduro Pro, large, DHX Air 5.0 - frame serial number is stamped an 05, but the frame is brown and has the DHX Air like the 2006
    • Fox 36 Talas RC2
    • Shimano XT shifters, FD, RD, cassette, cranks, chain
    • Shimano XT front (8") and rear (6") brakes
    • Sun SOS rims laced to "Stout" 20mm front hub and XT rear
    • Cane Creek headset

I also have some parts laying around from a previous build, plus I also picked up a Big Hit III blem/demo, so I'll be swapping around parts until I figure out what I want where.

I was actually happy to see that the cranks were XT after reading horror stories about Stylos. I was also looking forward to trying out a Sram drivetrain, but I'm used to Shimano so they should be fine. I would definitely have preferred the DT rims and DT-made hubs...I already had to replace the front hub because Specialized didn't have replacement parts for the Stout. Plus the rear wheel was way out of true. I'll probably end up re-lacing these hubs to DT 5.1's at some point down the road anyway. Everything else should be totally functional and despite the little "suprises" I am really liking the overall build and looking forward getting it built up and ridden.

I also got a cool set of "prototype" 2.4" tires that don't seem to be like any tread pattern that Specialized currently sells. Should be interesting to see how they ride. If they stink I'll just throw some Enduros on there.

Interestingly, the Big Hit I got came exactly as spec'd on the website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Ya and as I look into my build a little more I too found a cane creek headset, and an '05 stamped frame only with a DHX 5.0. Plus, it was already missing the front rotor, but both of the adapters (plus rear rotor) was for 6" rather than the 8". In addition to having the wrong size chain ring bolts (how you do that, I don't know, but the chain ring and bash couldn't tighten down) and my rear hub is a DT onyx (w/e that is...) and a stout front. I find the '05 year fork the most interesting part though...that's a BIG thing to miss on the description.

In the end I'm still happy with it, its a sweet riding bike. Although it would have been nice if I didnt end up with the down-graded wheels, I guess the RC2 fork makes up for that though.
    ridemonkey.com

Specialized Enduro Pro

mtbr member
    That happens alot with the "blem" list. Many shops buy them with missing forks/cranks/wheels and build them to sell. It's a great way to get a good deal on a bike and sell some parts. I'm always looking at the blem list at work to see if anything cool is on there.

My 2007 was a good deal as a demo bike and if it wasn't for still paying for it I'd be buying the pro for less than what I payed for my expert six months ago!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah I work in a shop so the blem deal is an extra super good deal for me. Lets just say I sold my well used '05 bighit and only payed a little more to get an Enduro Pro.

Needless to say, I'm keeping my eye on blem deals.
    ridemonkey.com

Specialized Enduro Pro

Track Junkie
    I'm curious, are the blem deals only through bike shops/dealers. Or directly through Specialized?
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member

Sun SOS rims

Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    You're not going crazy, I've got the same exact spec here on my recently purchased '06 Enduro Pro blem/demo. I was expecting the kit that's listed on the website (mostly SRAM stuff) and was a bit surprised when I got the bike.

Here are the basics of what I ended up with:

• Enduro Pro, large, DHX Air 5.0 - frame serial number is stamped an 05, but the frame is brown and has the DHX Air like the 2006
    • Fox 36 Talas RC2
    • Shimano XT shifters, FD, RD, cassette, cranks, chain
    • Shimano XT front (8") and rear (6") brakes
    • Sun SOS rims laced to "Stout" 20mm front hub and XT rear
    • Cane Creek headset

I also have some parts laying around from a previous build, plus I also picked up a Big Hit III blem/demo, so I'll be swapping around parts until I figure out what I want where.

I was actually happy to see that the cranks were XT after reading horror stories about Stylos. I was also looking forward to trying out a Sram drivetrain, but I'm used to Shimano so they should be fine. I would definitely have preferred the DT rims and DT-made hubs...I already had to replace the front hub because Specialized didn't have replacement parts for the Stout. Plus the rear wheel was way out of true. I'll probably end up re-lacing these hubs to DT 5.1's at some point down the road anyway. Everything else should be totally functional and despite the little "suprises" I am really liking the overall build and looking forward getting it built up and ridden.

I also got a cool set of "prototype" 2.4" tires that don't seem to be like any tread pattern that Specialized currently sells. Should be interesting to see how they ride. If they stink I'll just throw some Enduros on there.

Interestingly, the Big Hit I got came exactly as spec'd on the website.

have you had any trouble putting new tires on the Sun SOS rims? i've been using Kenda tires for a couple yrs with no problems...10-15 min to slap on a new tire but i can't seem to get my kendas to fit on these sun SOS rims....whats up with that?

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocguy2004
    have you had any trouble putting new tires on the Sun SOS rims? i've been using Kenda tires for a couple yrs with no problems...10-15 min to slap on a new tire but i can't seem to get my kendas to fit on these sun SOS rims....whats up with that?
    I haven't tried putting new tires on, but the tires that came with the bike (which seem to be a new 2.4" (folding bead) version of the Speshy Resolution) came off and went back on very easily. What Kendas are you running?

mtbr member
    I'm curious, are the blem deals only through bike shops/dealers. Or directly through Specialized?
    It's a dealer only thing. Some shops are nice enough to pass on the savings to employees like mine. They can't sell them to the public because of safety issues with possible flaws. And you wouldn't want one because they have no warranty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    I haven't tried putting new tires on, but the tires that came with the bike (which seem to be a new 2.4" (folding bead) version of the Speshy Resolution) came off and went back on very easily. What Kendas are you running?
    running the kenda nevegal tires (stick -e-rubber). 26x2.3 in front 26x2.1 in back. i can swing by my lbs to have then do it but that doesnt help me on the trail.