Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    VooDoo user.

So who has a new SX (180mm) 2011?

Lets see them and hear some reviews.

mtbr member
    +1 !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Here ya go:

( I spend a lot of time on a '10 Enduro, and have a few rides on a '10 SXT. )

The 2011 SX trail is basically a mini DH bike. The bike feels super plush off the top of the travel, the small bump sensitivity is great. If you pick the rear wheel off the ground and drop it, it lands with a dull plop, no bounce or kick back. The previous SXT would ramp up pretty hard for the last 1/4 of the travel, this bike does not. It feels much more linear and I have yet to feel a harsh bottom. Pedaling is pretty impressive if you stay in the saddle, traction is great for the rough/tech lines. Out of the saddle it bobs quite a bit, but this is to be expected from a 180mm bike. I have an older DHX shock on it, so the new one w/ low speed compression may help with pedaling.

The rear of this bike is very stiff, noticably stiffer than the Enduro. It holds a line and tracks really well. 12mm thru axle in the rear may help w/ this.

I don't know the weight, but it isn't a feather weight. Maybe mid 30's? The frame feels like it could take some bike park punishment. I have dropped my Enduro in the rocks and came away with a dented and dinged seat stay. The SXT would have dented the rock!

This bike really shines in the fast, rough stuff. It just floats over and through debris and holds a line great where as the Enduro gets kicked/bucked around more. Does not get hung up on square edge hits at all. Feels nice and balanced in the air.

It is set up w/ the Fox Van 180, and a single 34 tooth ring with guide. I ride it up and down. Depending on how you set it up, the 2011 SXT can be a Whistler lift bike, or a super stout trail bike. Durable, simple, and solid with some plush suspension. Consider it a DH bike that you can actually ride on the trails.

Some pics and more info here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider
    Here ya go:

( I spend a lot of time on a '10 Enduro, and have a few rides on a '10 SXT. )

The 2011 SX trail is basically a mini DH bike. The bike feels super plush off the top of the travel, the small bump sensitivity is great. If you pick the rear wheel off the ground and drop it, it lands with a dull plop, no bounce or kick back. The previous SXT would ramp up pretty hard for the last 1/4 of the travel, this bike does not. It feels much more linear and I have yet to feel a harsh bottom. Pedaling is pretty impressive if you stay in the saddle, traction is great for the rough/tech lines. Out of the saddle it bobs quite a bit, but this is to be expected from a 180mm bike. I have an older DHX shock on it, so the new one w/ low speed compression may help with pedaling.

The rear of this bike is very stiff, noticably stiffer than the Enduro. It holds a line and tracks really well. 12mm thru axle in the rear may help w/ this.

I don't know the weight, but it isn't a feather weight. Maybe mid 30's? The frame feels like it could take some bike park punishment. I have dropped my Enduro in the rocks and came away with a dented and dinged seat stay. The SXT would have dented the rock!

This bike really shines in the fast, rough stuff. It just floats over and through debris and holds a line great where as the Enduro gets kicked/bucked around more. Does not get hung up on square edge hits at all. Feels nice and balanced in the air.

It is set up w/ the Fox Van 180, and a single 34 tooth ring with guide. I ride it up and down. Depending on how you set it up, the 2011 SXT can be a Whistler lift bike, or a super stout trail bike. Durable, simple, and solid with some plush suspension. Consider it a DH bike that you can actually ride on the trails.

Some pics and more info here.
    Great review!

How does it feel for size, compared to the 2010?
    I'm 6' 1" and stuck between sizes. I'll demo a Medium 2010 today, which felt kinda small in the parking lot. Will know more after a few trail runs today. On the other hand I don't want to be stuck on a huge large...

What size did you try?
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I rode a medium 2010 SXT, and a small 2011 SXT and I'm 5"7". I can swap back and forth between medium and small w/ most bikes.

Both felt fine, although if you are going pedal it uphill get the larger size so you don't have a ton of seat post sticking out. Based on you being over 6', I would say go for the large. Keep in mind the head tubes (stack) are the same on all sizes so the ST and TT are what change. The bike just gets longer, not higher in the front, between sizes.

biking is fun
    nice review. We are leaning towards getting my wife one for her DH/FR bike. She has a XC/AM bike already so this will be mainly for shuttles and light uphills before gnarly DH.

mtbr member
    I rode a medium 2010 SXT, and a small 2011 SXT and I'm 5"7". I can swap back and forth between medium and small w/ most bikes.

Both felt fine, although if you are going pedal it uphill get the larger size so you don't have a ton of seat post sticking out. Based on you being over 6', I would say go for the large. Keep in mind the head tubes (stack) are the same on all sizes so the ST and TT are what change. The bike just gets longer, not higher in the front, between sizes.
    So, I just came back from riding a Medium 2010 SX. I LOVED it!!! Rode it on a jumpy trail, some dirt jumps and a light DH trail.

I'm coming from a gen 3 V10. This bike is sooo much more playful!! Super poppy and turny!!! There's some difference in speed, but I'm no racer by any means. I initially thought the rear end wont track as good as the V10. But it does... so I wanted a livelier bike. This is it!

Indeed, the front end on the Medium felt a tad tippy. But add the size difference towards the Large toptube, and the longer travel of the 2011 SXT and I think it'll be the perfect bike for me.

I ride mostly bike parks, and just for fun, no racing, as I said. Really believe Specialized took a great bike in the old SXT and made it even better. Home run! Stoked to try the 2011 SX trail!

Any experience on the 180mm Fox?

mtbr member
    Fancied one but Specialized arent selling them in the UK, so the next best thing was to get a 2010 and stick a fox 180 on it, had the first ride yesterday and its pretty much all good
    well balanced and stable without being a plower, im going to use it for the local short-course woods downhills in my area (something I plan getting back to as im tired of the commercial trail centre thing with their groomed trails and "mountain bike Mc donalds" atmosphere)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    By lonesomecowboyburt at 2010-11-02

mtbr member
    Get stoked people. Looks like a great rig!

Specialized SX Trail II Teaser from Freehub Magazine on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LonesomeCowboyBert
    Fancied one but Specialized arent selling them in the UK, so the next best thing was to get a 2010 and stick a fox 180 on it, had the first ride yesterday and its pretty much all good
    well balanced and stable without being a plower, im going to use it for the local short-course woods downhills in my area (something I plan getting back to as im tired of the commercial trail centre thing with their groomed trails and "mountain bike Mc donalds" atmosphere)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    By lonesomecowboyburt at 2010-11-02
    could`nt agree with you more bud,i`m in wales in the uk,ým doing the same on my 06 sx,stopped riding the trail centres as they`re full of wanna be bikers who are buying into the schene.back to my roots where i started(nearly 20years now) roots rocks and mud! good times

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice, I was just about to post something up about the new sx trail. Looks like a great bike, and the frame is $1800 with a rc4, good deal. I'm in the market for a more aggressive bike over my 08 enduro, just think I should go all out with a downhill bike instead of going 3/4 of the way with an sx trail. I love my enduro but I want to hit up more aggressive dh trails.

VooDoo user.
    More videos please!!!

This bike has me stoked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

On that bike you tested, is the the finish all satin or is it a mixture of gloss and flat? I know the sx 2 is flat grey and gloss green, but in those pics the black and white both look flat/satin finish. Thanks

Big Hittin'
    hows does this bike climb compared to enduro comp? they have the same gear setups. i demoed a enduro today and i loved the way it went downhill and uphill. does the sx go up pretty well?

im looking for a nice beefy bike that can handle some chairlift downhill and well as handle my local trail that has some ups and downs. thanks

also if anyones got one, post pics and vids!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Spent about 3 hours on one shuttling South Mountain in Phoenix recently. Will post up some pics and my personal review soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Spent about 3 hours on one shuttling South Mountain in Phoenix recently. Will post up some pics and my personal review soon.
    As many pics as you can would be much appreciated!

VooDoo user.
    [QUOTE=nokfir2]hows does this bike climb compared to enduro comp? they have the same gear setups. i demoed a enduro today and i loved the way it went downhill and uphill. does the sx go up pretty well?

im looking for a nice beefy bike that can handle some chairlift downhill and well as handle my local trail that has some ups and downs. thanks

also if anyones got one, post pics and vids![/

Anyone had time climbing on this thing? Any thoughts on a 2x10 setup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    [QUOTE=TIMBERRR]
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2
    hows does this bike climb compared to enduro comp? they have the same gear setups. i demoed a enduro today and i loved the way it went downhill and uphill. does the sx go up pretty well?

also if anyones got one, post pics and vids![/

Anyone had time climbing on this thing? Any thoughts on a 2x10 setup?
    I have a 2010 SXT with a X9 2x10 and I think it climb pretty well. In fact i find it climb just as good as my yeti 575.

mtbr member
    I'm looking into this beast to replace my intense SS, does anyone know what the frame weighs?

mtbr member
    I'm looking to order one of these very soon. Back-ordered till January though. But better get my name on the list. Still trying to figure out if I should get a medium or large. I'm 5-11 with 32 inseam on my jeans. I am leaning towards the medium size although the bike shop guys were telling me a large.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nsavarirayan
    I'm looking to order one of these very soon. Back-ordered till January though. But better get my name on the list. Still trying to figure out if I should get a medium or large. I'm 5-11 with 32 inseam on my jeans. I am leaning towards the medium size although the bike shop guys were telling me a large.
    I am same height as you and riding a medium SXT 2010. I am using a CB Joplin seatpost which had a little layback. The bike fit me well.

Big Hittin'
    i saw somone riding one on my local xc trails. i didnt get a chance to talk to him or ask for a ride cuz i dont think he spoke much english, But it look very uncomfortable for him to ride on the xc trails. it looked very stretched out and saw him walking up basically even the smallest climbs.

glad i went for the enduro!
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've been riding an 09 SX II as my do-everything bike now for a couple of years. stock it was 37lbs. and i threw a set of crossmax sx, xtr cranks, different bars/seat, and some single ply aggressive tires to put it at around 34lbs.

it works so good going up i sold my xc bike and works so good going down my dh bike sits in the house bummed. it definitely doesn't feel stretched out, probably the opposite but y'all can look at the numbers on specialized site and see what you think about that.

if the '11s are as good as an 09 you will be stoked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danlorek
    I've been riding an 09 SX II as my do-everything bike now for a couple of years. stock it was 37lbs. and i threw a set of crossmax sx, xtr cranks, different bars/seat, and some single ply aggressive tires to put it at around 34lbs.

it works so good going up i sold my xc bike and works so good going down my dh bike sits in the house bummed. it definitely doesn't feel stretched out, probably the opposite but y'all can look at the numbers on specialized site and see what you think about that.

if the '11s are as good as an 09 you will be stoked.
    That's exactly the same experience I have with my SXT '10. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsavarirayan

im your size exactly.....I have a medium 2010 with 35mm stem and a layback seatpost fits perfect for me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast