Gravity Rides Everything

So how reliable are Brains?

I am definitely lusting over the 06 SJ pro. the component selection is PERFECT. I THINK i want the brain. it makes sense in concept.

my only hangup is that shocks are damn hard to get fixed. I blew my septune on my 05 SJ, i ride a lot, and hard. If this thing isn't gonna take 1000+ rocky hard miles for at least one season i want to know. I got my septune pushed, and my confidence with that shock is very high.

so anybody with an epic, or an 04 enduro S-works, or an 06 SJ (if you're out there) I'd like to hear your problems...

if anybody is wondering why I'm ditching my 05 SJ expert already, i work for a shop, and it doesn't make economic sense to hang onto a bike for more than a season.

mtbr member
    My brain on my Enduro lasted 14 months an over 2000 miles. The shock still works only the brain doesn't do anything until about 30% of the travel is used. Come Nov/Dec I will send it in to fox to be rebuilt.

I really never knew how much work the brain did until it stopped working, i have a new love for it and can't wait to get it back in working order.

mtbr member
    Two years, no issues with my Epic's brain shock...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

0 days

Just to scare you.

My SJ Pro brain was stuffed when I got it - I would be surprised if you hadn't read something about it because I queried/complained in just about every thread I could!! Spec sent me a new brain/shock once I made a formal complaint and it is now sensational.

Can't really give you any info on durability because it's only been working properly since Monday (!) however I previously had an epic for about 2 years and the only problem I had was one ride where the brass mass got stuck and I was fully active for a while. Sorted itself out and I dare say the newer brains have improved since the first generation.

Buy a Pro. The shifters are insanely schnappy, the TALAS are great (although I'm hanging out to see how much the 3-position adjuster knob is going to cost me from an '06 fork), XT cranks and brakes are always a winner, and it rides like a mountain goat wearing fluffy slippers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    I am definitely lusting over the 06 SJ pro. the component selection is PERFECT. I THINK i want the brain. it makes sense in concept.

my only hangup is that shocks are damn hard to get fixed. I blew my septune on my 05 SJ, i ride a lot, and hard. If this thing isn't gonna take 1000+ rocky hard miles for at least one season i want to know. I got my septune pushed, and my confidence with that shock is very high.

so anybody with an epic, or an 04 enduro S-works, or an 06 SJ (if you're out there) I'd like to hear your problems...

if anybody is wondering why I'm ditching my 05 SJ expert already, i work for a shop, and it doesn't make economic sense to hang onto a bike for more than a season.
    I have over 6000 miles on mine, and I'm just now looking for a replacement. Hope that helps.