Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

snowy day project - warning : stripper content

The victim - 08 stumpjumper expert in "I can't stand it anymore" teal

This is a serious pain in the ass. The paint stripper I bought at home depot is having a hard time with specialized's multi layer paint job. There is 4 layers in alot of areas and there also may be primer. Clear - decals - black - teal. Maybe I should have held out and found some of that "marine stripper" I heard about in another thread.

After 8 months of riding without a full teardown most of my pivot bearings are doing well... except these unfortunate buggers. One of them was frozen solid and the other was very crunchy. Inside the seals was a mixture of rust and dirt. I don't ever hose my bike off so this was just from occaisional trail water getting in there. Its unavoidable so my guess is that these either need to be cleaned and repacked constantly or just replace them every 6 months. I was going to get stainless replacements but at $26 each vs. $4.75 each for the standard ones I opted to buy a half dozen standard ones.

Its going to end up polished to a medicore standard, I'm not going for a mirror shine job. I have a decal kit for a hardrock that I got on ebay. I'm just going to use the main downtube logos and the "s" for the headtube. They are black with a white outline so it should look cool.

Most pics next week when I finish up.

mtbr member
    Wow, that sucks. If that was a medium I would have bought it with the teal paintjob.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    It IS a medum. But the good news is that I've seen a few frames on ebay in this color and I'm sure you could get one cheap.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Those bearings go bad from sweat dripping on them as well.

the $4.75 bearings will last longer if you remove the seals, pack them full of high quality waterproof grease, and replace the seals. I am using that Synthetic Green grease and it seems to do well.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix

the $4.75 bearings will last longer if you remove the seals, pack them full of high quality waterproof grease, and replace the seals. I am using that Synthetic Green grease and it seems to do well.
    Yep, thats the plan. The new bearings as well as the ones that are still good are all getting re-packed.

Today's progress. Got all of the welds and tight areas cleaned up with a wire brush on a dremel. Only need to do the lions share of the finish sanding and polishing and it will be done.

Huh?
    God I loved that teal color. A damn shame.

gone for a bike ride
    nice works - looks alot better already

are you anodising the frame or leaving it raw?

new custom decals or nowt?

Phil Woods (green) grease should help preserve pivot bearing

mtbr member
    Gonna clear coat it or repolish every year?
    09 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon | 09 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2005
    do your crank arms while your at it, heck why not strip all the parts that you can,,,,

Rims, brake levers, ect ect, then call it the Silver Dirt Surfer

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just hit it with a scotchbrite pad and WD40. I did that to my V10 DH bike and it was awesome. Check out Transition Bikes. They run alot of their frames like this. It looks great. I personally wouldn't polish a MTB, what;s the point? It's a MTB, it's not going to stay nice and shiney and who wants to be consatntly polishing to keep it pretty? That's just my opinion though. Either way it will look great

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Check this bike out. Not polished, just basically scotchbrighted. It's the way to go man!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snowy day project - warning : stripper content-bottlerocket.jpg  

mtbr member
    Love the Transition BR!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yeah, I'm just about to pull the trigger on one!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm cracking up that some people on here are offended that I stripped the paint off of my bike... I guess I shouldn't show off my 911 with the small block chevy engine conversion, I might get death threats. (just kidding, I would never do that to a 911). See, this whole fetish I have for bare aluminum goes back to 1985 or so when my best friend got a polished PK ripper for christmas - the little dark crevises of the welds contrasting with the polished tubes, pure metal lust. My redline just couldn't even compare. Then, when I was in college and those Manitou frames were on the market... oh man, I was ready to rob a bank to get one. But instead I stripped and polished my Rockhopper. So, I hope you understand... I have a thing for this. Raw steel is even cooler in my book - I dig the heat discoloration around the welds. One of my wish list bikes is an Indy Fab steel deluxe with only a clear coat on it.

I hated this color from day one, but with the deal I got it could have been pink and I still would have bought it. The super duper extra bonus is that the frame should be an ounce or two lighter (I'm a jr. weight weenie - I stop short of carbon seats with no padding).

I'm just going to scotchbrite it and do a quick coat of rattle can clear, no mirror polishing. There are some pressure marks on some of the tubes from the hydroforming that just aren't going to polish out unless I do alot of sanding. I don't want to remove metal so I feel its best not to take it too far. Those marks were covered with a thick yellowish primer that was not present on the entire frame - so apparantly they do some minor body work on the frames before they are painted.

I wanted these old school style decals but they are nowhere to be found and I didn't want to spend the money to have them made.

So I got these instead - still black with white outline but in the more recent typeface. I'm only using the 2 downtube stickers and the 3 "S" ones.
    Last edited by 92gli; 12-21-2009 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    yeah don't listen to them. I guess they think people are listening. They are offened that you stripped the bike that YOU bought with the money YOU earned. Are they kidding me? get real

mtbr member
    Yeah, like his was the last teal fsr on earth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I personally don't care what someone does to their bike. Throw it off a building if you like
    Anyway, My vote is to not polish it. it loses all its character when polished. You may or may not have polished things already but let me tell you, it makes a complete mess and is a sh&t job. Plus you look like a pansy showing up with a polished mountain bike (kidding)

As you can tell, I love Raw bikes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here's a pic of my old V10 DH bike. I stripped it to Raw and scotchbrited it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snowy day project - warning : stripper content-p1000727.jpg  

mtbr member
    I agree. Here is my Intense 6.6 before I parted it out.
    Last edited by tonyxcom; 12-22-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Picture Unrelated
    so... can we see the 911?

wjb
    mtbr member
    Uhh....where are the strippers???

namagomi

New question here.

Hey 92gli, how did you remove the suspension bearings.. better yet how do you plan to press them back in? Did you buy the specific presses from specialized or what?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Hey 92gli, how did you remove the suspension bearings.. better yet how do you plan to press them back in? Did you buy the specific presses from specialized or what?
    If you search the forum for "bearing press" (I think thats how I found it), you'll find some old threads showing how to do it with sockets and a C clamp. I've done it several times with no problems. The dust shields on the bearings didn't even get bent.

Got the front triangle finished tonight. Scrubed with 000 synthetic steel wool (appears to be the same as the small piece of old scotchbrite I had), wiped down with prep-sol, and clear coated.
    Decals came today and my bearings should be here tomorrow. I'll post the complete bike soon.

mtbr member
    That looks sweet!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That does look nice. I would like to see it with the original decals on it with that finish. I like the understated look of the raw.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast