mtbr member
    Jul 2008

smokin deal on 07 fsr comp-need opinions asap

so i have been looking at pruchasing the pich pro.actually im hold 2500 cash right now to buy one on friday.thing is i have been out of the loop for so long that i might be looking at more bike than i need.so i had this thought of purchasing a used(but in great shape) bike from X person and seeing if i need more.worst case i sell and buy what i really need.coming off of a 97 gt lts anything will be a upgrade.so i have been surfing craigslist/ebay ect and came across a few bikes.all of which are fsr xc comps.now i set out for a bike with 5" of travel so when i go to places like northstar i can really blaze,but that mightbe maybe 2-3 times a year were most of my riding is local parks(rockville,skyline and pretty much anything i marin and folsom area)
    the bike that im really looking at is the cleanest i have seen.
    2007 fsr xc(green) and is a large
    It has an upgraded 2008 Recon 351 U Turn Fork, Stumpy stem, Easton EA 70 Monkey bar, Thomson seat post, Avid speed dial levers BB 7 brakes and Sun Rhyno lite rims. Shifting is stock Shimano LX
    hes asking 700 obo for the bike.would it be wise to get a bike and try out what i have missed out on for the last 10 years of improvments then if its just not enough sell and go from there?or would just dropping 2500 on a pitch pro be the way to go?my other option was the pitch comp and just upgrade as things break,but with me at 215 lbs on a good day the rims would go first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    the fsr comp for sure. save the money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Even with the huge disparity in price, I'd go with the Pitch Pro. If you got the FSRxc (I know because I had one), you would eventually want more as it only has 4" of travel. Might as well jump straight off the deep end and get a 6" travel bike and be done with it. The Pitch Pro already has much better components than the upgraded FSRxc, so chances are you wouldn't feel the need to upgrade for a long time, if ever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    what if i went with the pitch comp?stil better than the fsr?my main issue is my shoulder.i had surgery on the 16 of june.im not 100% sure what kind of terrain i will be able to handle.thats why i thought about going used.i figured that if i start riding outside of the fsr limits than sell it and step up to the pitch or what ever else is hot at that time.im at least a year from even looking at riding northstar.
    more feed back would be great.im taking everything into thought.
    Last edited by nation1979; 07-24-2008 at 05:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    For $700, you really don't have anything to lose. Get it and try it out. You may find that you don't need the extra 2 in of travel. Since you've been out of the loop for 10 years, take some time and get the swing back. You'll be able to sell it for close to what you payed for it- as long as it stays as clean as you say it is. I bought an 08 Rockhopper Disc off of Craigslist for $400, rode it for a few months, and then sold it for $500. I bet you'll be able to do the same. The XC is a great bike! For whatever reason, It doesn't get much love on here for some reason. Stumpys seem to rule the roost, but the extra $650 was too much for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    if youve got the cash for the pitch pro id go for it, at your weight you may find the x fusion shock on the xc to be rubbish like most 200 plus riders do, i had an xc and i didnt like it, on downhills i felt like i was going to go over the bars any second, for the amount of travel it has its a heavy bike and with the new model coming out soon its old hat, theres nothing worse than buyers regret and ive been there, you can also get an 07 SJ fsr comp for a little over 1000 now which has a much better frame shock and fork

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    if youve got the cash for the pitch pro id go for it, at your weight you may find the x fusion shock on the xc to be rubbish like most 200 plus riders do, i had an xc and i didnt like it, on downhills i felt like i was going to go over the bars any second, for the amount of travel it has its a heavy bike and with the new model coming out soon its old hat, theres nothing worse than buyers regret and ive been there, you can also get an 07 SJ fsr comp for a little over 1000 now which has a much better frame shock and fork
    Again, no love for the XC. I swear, if it doesn't cost over $2K its junk. I thought Dept. store bikes were the only "junk" bikes. I'm 210 and once I added pressure to the X Fusion, I've had zero "bob" and great feel.

The bottom line is; Will it suit your riding style? If you need to extra 2in, then the Pitch is your bike. If not, give the XC a try. Regardless, your going to love whatever you get- given the fact the your riding a pretty old bike now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the only problem i had with the xc really was the massive brake dive it had, i hated the recon fork, not the bikes fault to be fair but to replace it with a fox 100RL i was looking at serious money,

in fairness the frame is strong and the annodized paint that was on the bike was bombproof, i had no problems with the x fusion shock it was plush efficient and the lockout was useful but im a very light rider, so many heavier guys were complaining about this and that with the shock but i myself liked it,

i didnt like the fact that i had to have the seat waayy over the bars to have a cross country riding position, overall the bike never really felt like it fit me right but thats all down to personal preferance, Coop is right its a good deal for 700 dollars but only if you try the bike really like it and dont think your going to have dislikes and regrets later on

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    just found out that the fsr is the plain jane that didnt come w/disk brakes.thats whyit has mech. disk.still a good deal at 700?

mtbr member
    That is a great price for a 2007 XC, period. Especially if it is as clean as you say it is. I would definitely go for the XC, since you have been on a 97 GT. Was it a hardtail or a LTS full suspension bike?
    Either way, the XC will be a huge improvement.
    The 4 inches of travel will be enough for now, especially if you have not ridden much in the past few years.
    I would say that the Pitch is a sweet bike, but you could get one on discount at the end of the year anyways. Then next year you could do NorthStar right.
    Buy the XC, see if it what you are looking for in a trail bike, if it is then keep it and rent a bike at NorthStar for the gravity days.
    If you want more in travel and are looking to catch some air, do stunts and ride technical trails then the Pitch will become a necessity. The XC is designed for exactly what it is named, cross country, ie....buffed singletrack with little or no technical obstacles.
    Good luck!