mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Smaller sized stumpjumpers?

I have a size small 2005 stumpjumper and it's a tad big. i think I have about an in clearance but I ride it ok. Just curious, do they make smaller sized stumpjumpers? What other options do I have? I am 5'6 with 27 in inseam I think.

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    You are the perfect size for a small, 1 inch of clearance if fine. You could get a womens Safire if you want to go any smaller.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I checked again and im right at the bar. I think I would be better off on a smaller bike. I rode my friends Jamis Komodo with was a smaller bike and I had more fun and was more confortable on it. What options do I have with the specialized fsr's?

mtbr member
    I'm about the same size as you and I ride a small FSRXC and it's perfect!! What size stem are you running? Also cutting the bars down to shoulder width made mine feel more compact and snappy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Im not sure what size stem I'm running, it's the stock one. How much clearance do you have when you stand over the bike? I don't have any, the bottom of my balls are touching the bar.

mtbr member
    I am 5'4(27" inseam) and own a 06 Stumpy. It is the perfect fit for me. If you are actually 5'6 with a 27" inseam, then that is the bike for you. You really do not have a choice unless you want a women's specific bike like RYAN E said. There is no extra small Stumpy.
    Your torso sounds like it is pretty long compared to your legs, which would make the cockpit a bit cramped if you went smaller anyways. 1 inch of clearance is acceptable. I actually have maybe 2 mm clearance for my 07 Enduro Pro and have never had an issue with dismounting or anything.
    Is it possible that you are used to BMX bikes and a smaller coickpit just feels more natural to you? Just a thought that occurred to me, nothing more.