mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Small Block Eight Info?

I just got a pair of the Kenda Small Block Eight's in the 26x2.10 and I was wondering if anyone else has tried these tires on the stumpjumper of really any other bike? And if so, what little set-up hints do you have for dry and little rocky ground.. I do alot of riding at Los Gatos "St. Josephs Trail"...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Offroad : Bad,not gripy enough

rolling resistance : low

road : good,smooth and fast

puncture resistance: TBC

verdict: use it if you are riding 60% road,40% offroad.if not,get continental mt king.

fsr guy
    Jul 2008
    I just put a set on my fsr xc pro. absolutely love them. super fast and sticky in all but m ud. I am running the non-ust tubeless on Mavic cross trails with Stans tire solution. I set front and rear to 35 psi. Mid wat throught the first ride, they had bled down on some air pressure after about 2 hours. I filled them back up and finished the ride. I have not had to air them up since. The only issue I had was the front felt a little loose at first, but keep a little weight on the front end and they bite hard.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdhop
    Offroad : Bad,not gripy enough

rolling resistance : low

puncture resistance: TBC

verdict: use it if you are riding 60% road,40% offroad.if not,get continental mt king.
    lol, check this:

Offroad : Grip way beyond their looks, stellar for NorCal hardpack, instant slicks in mud, best sand over hard tire I've tried

rolling resistance : moderate; more RR than their looks

puncture resistance: no problems in almost a year of having them

verdict: great grippy tire for XC & trail, but beyond that is pushing it. Progressive drifts, so bring your skills and they will perform very, very well. They just don't give up.

negative: weaksauce Kenda sidewalls - 40psi in the rear (!) I weigh 180

P

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Crazy fast dirtjump/bmx tire!!

Awsome traction on hardpack and hardpack with loose over top.

Sidewalls tear easily on anything resembling a rock.

Have to run 50psi to keep them from rolling on the rim in berms.

With no real shoulder knobs they can get scary on flat turns.

Did I mention how fast these tires roll? Like having a jet pack on when you pump through a roller section.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Excellent tire (I run a 2.1 in front and 1.95 or whatever in back). Key is, you need to learn how to ride your bike to make them work well. I am not all that good, but at least I know how to load my front wheel to get grip on certain terrain.

These work as well as my Nevegals in every situation except deep mud, and I don't even have the Stick-E versions.

just like a speeder-bike
    I love the 2.35's on my Stumpy FSR. I'm about 200 lbs and keep 'em at approx. 35 psi, no problems.

They roll plenty fast for trail work, for me. Excellent traction on everything but mud and roots; and you've gotta love the volume & bump absorbtion. I even use 'em in the front (and back), but I need to try a 2.35 Nevegal in front / 2.35 SM8 in the rear - sounds like a good balance of traction/rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 08S-Works_Guy
    I just got a pair of the Kenda Small Block Eight's in the 26x2.10 and I was wondering if anyone else has tried these tires on the stumpjumper of really any other bike? And if so, what little set-up hints do you have for dry and little rocky ground.. I do alot of riding at Los Gatos "St. Josephs Trail"...
    II come in at 185lbs on a Sworks Stumpy. I use SB8 In the rear in all but muddy conditions. 30 PSI with Stans. If it's tight hardpack i'll use it up front too. It it's loose, sandy or muddy I'll use somethign with more grip. Your average speed will instantly pick up everything else remaining constant. Enjoy