Wait, what!?

SL shock 07/08 Q

Not sure if there is any truth to this, but I heard the rear shock on the 2008 has been improved upon, and given a little bit bigger chamber. Was it a lie? How would this be better then the year before, and if I have any problems with my 07 (see sig) and want to get the new one, I can assume it will fit? Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thats mostly true - the air chamber is a little larger. This is apparently to enable the shock to cope better with bigger hits, so I guess it depends on your riding. If you're hitting big stuff - it'll be an improvement on last year. But the 08 shock seems to run at a higher pressure to the 07, so it may be at the cost of small bump sensitivity (my 08 replacement shock is still very new - so not sure if its simply firmer - or needs more time to break in).
    Otherwise its identical in size (eye-to-eye, etc) to the 07. Specialized (UK) are swapping out 07's for 08's without question.
    Hope this helps.

Wait, what!?
    Alright. So would you say it is more reliable as well? I like my small bump sensitivity, and probably wont be doing much more then 4 foot drops for the most part. If I dont have much for problems with the 07 shock (when I finally get it) I guess Iw ill stick with that? Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi, actually the increase in air canister size is to increase small bumb sensitivity and it works. You have more air to compress so it doesn't ramp up as quickly. I have an '08 replacement for my '07 and it is noticeably plusher. They are trying to address the criticisms aimed at it by many reviewers that the suspension is too stiff. They also apparently softened the compression damping to further increase small bump sensitivity.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    1 other thing I noticed was the 08's had a steel bolt through (aka in the Enduro 06) the top and bottom, wheras the 07's had aluminium standard top hats.

Wait, what!?
    rxs, did Spec swap them out for you because you had problems with the 07, or just because you asked them to?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    They replaced it because of problems, too many to list. I went through multiple front and rear shocks and finally demanded an '08 replacement or a refund. I know several people who have gotten refunds but I was willing to give the '08 a shot. If these fail I'll replace them with Fox stuff once the warranty expires.

Wait, what!?
    Oh, ok. I am curious to see how much more/less you like this years over last years. Let me know after a few more rides

mtbr member
    the 07 has pretty cruddy small to medium small sensitivity. compared to the '03 giant VT 2 with manitou swinger 4 way that I once had, the enduro SL's rear end with the AFR shock is pretty cruddy. that VT was also pretty exceptional. its understandable that S would try to improve it because it needs it. I saw a picture around here of an SL with a manitou 4-way, I'd like to hear some details (measurments) and ride comments from that person!

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    I could have asked for all my money back but the shop were good to me in the past, after 9 months use I lost $900 but then again I had nine months use out of it. 3 of our riding group were all set on getting the enduro after seeing mine and trying it out when working, two were waiting on the delivery of 08's. They've all been put off now and have decided on other bikes, namely another Heckler, Ransom and Marin. I had fitted for a few rides an 08 shock and didnt really notice a great improvement. a bit more sharper in feel but I hadnt had time to break it in.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by catnash
    I could have asked for all my money back but the shop were good to me in the past, after 9 months use I lost $900 but then again I had nine months use out of it. 3 of our riding group were all set on getting the enduro after seeing mine and trying it out when working, two were waiting on the delivery of 08's. They've all been put off now and have decided on other bikes, namely another Heckler, Ransom and Marin. I had fitted for a few rides an 08 shock and didnt really notice a great improvement. a bit more sharper in feel but I hadnt had time to break it in.

How's that Heckler?

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Brilliant, just come back from a very very wet ride, It's on par for DH and in fact I felt faster and it took air on a few table tops I couldnt do on the enduro. Nice to have a woring bike that just gets on with no fuss.